How to restore Families data when 1Password (beta) leads to data loss?

XIII
XIII
Community Member

I'm kind of interested in helping beta testing 1Password (iOS/Mac - I already run the Windows 6 beta), but am wondering how I can backup/restore my Families data (unlike my Dropbox vault which I can backup locally), in case a beta leads to data loss. I have read in other topics that you have server side backups, but how can I access them when needed?

1Password Version: Families
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: AgileBits

Comments

• Good morning @XIII and @dahanbn. At this time we do not have any mechanism for creating local backups of your 1Password.com data. Server backups are indeed maintained by us, but we have no customer-facing interface for them.

I completely understand your predicament here. We obviously do our best to ensure that nothing goes out into our betas that would cause catastrophic data loss, but that doesn't mean it's an impossibility.

Let me chat to a few of my colleagues about this one and get back to you.

• The 1Password service keeps track of all the changes you make to the data. Every time an item is changed, the server makes a copy of it and stores the full history of changes.

The web interface has an option to restore any item to its previous state, including the items that were emptied from the Trash.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Yes, but what if a beta version of 1Password corrupts the vault and I need to restore all passwords from a previous date?

I have hundreds of passwords stored in 1Password and don't want to restore them 1 by 1.

• @XIII,

While it's unlikely that a beta of the app will corrupt all items, I see where your concern is coming from. The way that vault updates work, the clients push changes up to the server. Every time this happens, there's a version counter on every item that was modified, and this version counter gets incremented. There's also a version number on the vault that gets incremented. The item versions are how we do per-item restoration. In theory, the same could be done for the whole of the vault. This isn't a feature that exists yet, and I'm not sure that it'll ever be a user-facing feature, but we do have all of the information that we would need to roll back a whole vault if we really wanted to.

If a 1Password beta eats your data for some reason, we will do our best to make sure that your data is recovered.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.