Repeating sync alert

1bjorn
1bjorn
Community Member

Whenever I open 1Password on my iOS devices it splashes an alert, telling me to unlock the primary vault on my Mac to continue WiFi-sync. It is quite irritating always to dismiss this alert. I like to sync when I decide to... I have searched for any preference to disable this behaviour, but no luck so far. Any advice? Best regards

1Password Version: 6.3.4 Mac/6.4.5 iOS
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6/iOS 10.0.2
Sync Type: WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:Unlock sync alert

Comments

• Hi @1bjorn

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

1Password attempts to sync every time it is launched. The only way to modify this behavior is to disable syncing (which you could of course re-enable when you wanted to sync).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Ben

• mattspace
    mattspace
    Community Member

I'll add to 1bjorn's comment - that's a really user-hostile behaviour IMHO.

The default state for 1password on a mac is going to be: running, but locked, given it auto-locks, and most people are going to launch, and leave, rather than quitting the app as soon as they've finished using it. People who use WLAN sync are going to see this error dialogue more often than not.

If auto-sync on open is going to be a thing for the iOS, then the sync service needs to remain running on the Mac version while the app is locked, or the iOS version needs to poll to see if it's locked, and abandon the sync without a dialogue if it's syncing via WLAN.

• or the iOS version needs to poll to see if it's locked, and abandon the sync without a dialogue if it's syncing via WLAN.

This is what we used to do. Unfortunately there was a large crowd of people who were under the impression that their data was syncing, because they got no notification otherwise, and ended up with a data loss situation because of it. That was untenable and so the current state was implemented. It may be annoying, but you're much less likely to have the expectation that your data is syncing when it really isn't.

That is not to say that we might not consider other improvements in this area for the future, but I don't see any changes happpening with WLAN syncing in the short term.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.