To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Tags Not Searchable 1Password Account (Browser

Keifer
Keifer
Community Member

I decided to try out 1Password for families as a replacement for my 2 factor Drobpox authentication / sharing / sync. The one biggest difference I noticed in the web client (and the 1Password 6 Windows Beta) was lack of folder support - my biggest concern with using tags was false positive hits in tags that can be found in other fields in other (non-relevant) results in my vault. I have many accounts and folders were a god-send to help me organize my data.

To remedy this concern, I decided to test with using 'unique' tags (e.g. work > zwork) to eliminate the possibility of false positive hits to better (and more consistently) organize my log-ins.

However, I noticed after adding a unique tag to an item (called zwork) from the 1Password 6 Windows Beta client, the tag I created (while synced to the 1Password web client) was not searchable from the web client. A search on zwork returned zero results in the web client (although it does show up properly in the 1Password 6 Beta Windows client). See attachment for details.

Maybe I'm using the web client wrong, but there appears to be a bug where tags aren't searchable in the web client - can you confirm?

1Password Version: 1Password 6.1.272d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 8.1
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: kb-search:search tags, kb:undefined, kb-search:search tags, kb:undefined, kb-search:search tags

Comments

• Hi @Keifer! Thanks for posting about this, and giving things a detailed test. :glasses: Tags are only searchable in the apps right now. We're may add tag search to 1Password.com in the future as well. I'll let the team know you're interested in it.

ref: B5-2107

• Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member

Why does 1P Accounts seem like a half baked product? In what world would you think people would not need to search their tags?

You don't support folders (even though the clients do) and force people switch to tags. But then don't support searching them....

• @Chris Peden I just responded to your post in another thread. I'm sorry it feels that way. You can search tags in the 1Password apps just like you can without an account. We would like to add it to the web interface as well. The apps are the 1Password experience people prefer, so we're focusing on that.

You don't support folders (even though the clients do) and force people switch to tags. But then don't support searching them....

Sorry for the confusion. Tags are supported in accounts, but folders are not. When using an account in the apps, they only support tags. Hope that helps clear things up.

• Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member

@Jacob There is no confusion. I know folders aren't supported and I think its ridiculous. Forcing people to re-organize their data away from: 1. A system they could have been using for 10-20-30+ years and 2. A system that works for them and their productivity is negligent and anti-user. You may like tags more, and some customers do, but there is no reason to not provide both. So far in my opinion 1P Accounts is a miss, and I wanted to like it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chris Peden: I don't know. iOS seems pretty popular even without the ability to use folders — or a filesystem at all. While you and I might be comfortable and familiar with this paradigm after 30 years as computer users, I think it's important to keep in mind that we're in the minority these days. Computers used to be the domain of the supernerds, but pretty much anyone has a computer(-like) device these days. So times — and use cases — have changed.

And while I personally enjoy the process of organizing things just so, mostly people just want to be able to find and use their data, not spend a lot of time creating and maintaining hierarchical structures. Folders and filesystems themselves are very "anti-user", and a big reason why "novice" users had a lot of trouble with computers in the bad old days before search was built into the OS. The command line can be powerful and useful too, but it's also something that few "normal" people will even ever use.

That said, we may add folders to 1Password Accounts in the future if it's something that enough people want. Tags are more important to begin with though because they're more flexible, more people will get use out of them. Given limited resources, we can't do everything (and arguable shouldn't). So we prefer to spend time and energy on things that do the most good for the greatest number of people, and go from there. As we work our way through the various improvements and feature requests though, we may get to a point where folders is at the top of the list. Only time will tell. Thanks for your feedback on this!

• Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member

@brenty This is the same old tired reasoning to not give people features. Its folders man, not some earth shattering feature. Moreover if I am without my devices, and on a friends computer and need access to something the online experience should be as close to the clients as possible. Perhaps as a semi-solution is to be able display the folders in the 1P Account but still only be able to create and manage them in the clients. Fact is there are plenty of advanced users out here and your response makes it seem like you don't care about them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's certainly been a lot of work and taken a long time to build the new 1Password.com service, but we're not tired of 1Password and ready to throw in the towel or anything like that. ;)

It seems odd that you'd think that we don't care about advanced 1Password users, and I'm sorry if you somehow got that impression. After all, that's us!. I think it can be argued that we spend more time with 1Password than most people, and we make the software we want to use ourselves...but at the same time there are limits, and we have to think of other folks too. Let's face it: most folks aren't "alpha geeks" or whatever, and don't want to be. :blush:

We definitely want to make the 1Password.com web interface itself the best it can be, and necessarily that means making it closer to the apps. Adding folders in just one place — say, the web interface — actually takes us even farther away from that goal than where we are today. So I think it makes sense to get it as close as we can first, and then if and when we have the bandwidth, add more features across all platforms together. Will we add folders to 1Password Accounts in the future? Perhaps. But today the answer is still the same as it was yesterday: not now. I'm sorry that's not the answer you're looking for. :(

This discussion has been closed.