Delete Vault

johnbeaty
johnbeaty
Community Member

I have a vault left over from when I was sharing vaults the old way, before Families. It is now empty as all the info has been moved to new family vaults. How do I get rid of the old, shared vault?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• paul_guertin
    paul_guertin
    Community Member

Hi John

I recently had the same issue. As a user and not a member of the AB team, I'm not sure if this was the 'right' way to do it but I can tell you what worked for me.

So long as you're SURE that all of your data is now safe on the servers in 1PW for Families, then follow the instructions at the following link for both Mac and iOS.

https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

This worked for me. After signing in to my Families account from the starting screen, my old vault was no longer visible.

I can't stress enough to make sure you have everything migrated to 1PW for Families or otherwise backed up before you give it a try!

Cheers,

Paul

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnbeaty,

Thanks for asking about this. :)

As Paul mentioned, one way to wipe out all your local vaults would be to start over. There is an easier way, though. You can switch to the vault you want to remove and choose 1Password > Delete [Name] Vault.

Let us know how it goes.

• johnbeaty
    johnbeaty
    Community Member

Hi Khad, I didn't notice that the "name" changed depending on the vault selected, so thanks for the info: it worked perfectly. Given that I have over 500 separate items, starting over wasn't an option!

Thanks

John

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@johnbeaty,

I wouldn't want to start over either! I'm glad that did the trick. :)

For what it's worth, if all your items are in vaults in your family account, you could theoretically "start over". When you sign in to your account again, all your family vaults would show up. You'd essentially just be getting rid of your local vaults (i.e. vaults that are not in your family account).

But I think it's probably best to just delete the vault(s) you need to delete one by one as you did. :+1:

Have a wonderful rest of your week!

• pnelson
    pnelson
    Community Member

I found it to be very counter-intuitive that in order to delete a vault, you had to select the vault first and then when the name of the vault under the DELETE menu has changed to that vault, you can delete it. I suspect many users (like me) would like to just be able to select a vault from a list and then have a quick delete option. I think part of the reason this was confusing is that I'm transitioning from the "old way" via the standalone app, to the newer personal shared plan. Plus, I have several other Teams I belong to so there is a long list of vaults (Personal, Shared, and custom) in my sidebar when opening the app itself. Please think about ways to improve vault deletion, including not letting someone delete a vault if it still contains items!

• @pnelson Thanks for the feedback. We're hoping to make this process much easier and seamless very soon. :) I'm sorry the experience was confusing — we've learned a few ways to improve it going forward.

• krider2010
    krider2010
    Community Member

Related to this, I've migrated to a family account from a standalone install (long time user way before accounts :) ) but when I go to delete my primary vault, it keeps wanting to make my employers vault (from a business account) the default password to unlock. I don't want this, I want the family one as the unlock. Why can't I choose this?

• @krider2010 Good question! To reorder things, I would recommend signing out of your employer's vault so your family one is the top account. Then delete your Primary vault, and sign back in to your team account. Hope that helps! :)

• krider2010
    krider2010
    Community Member

Thanks @Jacob - I'll give that a go :smile:

• Sounds good! Let us know if you have some other questions. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.