Hypothetical Question

Options
toobs
toobs
Community Member

I have a hypothetical question for you guys. All of my password are very strong now thanks to 1Pass. I love it. I printed out my key and master and kept in a safe place. I don't know any of my passwords other than my master to 1Pass. Good, because my password habit sucks. Since we can only download 1Pass app from ITunes, what will happen when we get an new device, like an new IPad and need to install 1Pass on it, but we don't know our password to ITunes because we just changed it to whatever that is good and strong from the password generator. How are we supposed to install 1Pass without having access to ITunes because we have no idea on our password? Do you understand at what I'm asking?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, and some of jokingly say that we are really using 2Password or 3Password, not 1Password. That is, we need to remember the AppleID password or Dropbox password as well as the 1PW master password.

Myself, my master password is something long and meaningful to me, that I remember partly by muscle memory. But my Apple ID password si a word sequence created using the password generator (actually, I used Diceware as the generator did not use words at the time I created it) and this sequence of English words is easy to remember.

I think that is probably the answer. But also if you still have the old device you can always view the password on that, and then enter it manually on the new device.

• Hi @toobs! That's a good question. Since you're using a 1Password account, one way for you to get your iTunes password would be to sign in to your account from 1Password.com in Safari on your new iPad. Then open the vault with the iTunes password in it and copy the password from there. Paste it into the iTunes prompt and you'll be all set.

This doesn't necessarily solve the case of your iCloud password, though, which is something you likely need to set up the device in the first place. If you don't have another device with 1Password on it to look up your iTunes password, what I recommend doing is using the words option in the password generator to create something that's memorable and meets the iTunes requirements:

Keep this written down with your 1Password account details somewhere safe, or memorize it if you'd like. I personally have mine memorized just in case. The good news is you can always access 1Password.com from a modern browser on 1Password.com if you need to, and you can get your iTunes password from there. :) Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.