Folder Sync forced upgrade breaks my world

jeffsenn
jeffsenn
Community Member

I've been using Folder Sync for years but today I wanted to change where the folder was located and went to change it in Preferences->Sync. The only way it would let me was by setting sync to "None" and then back to "Folder". HOWEVER: upon doing that I discover that I can no longer use an agilekeychain formatted sync folder. Since I have an Android device to which I was syncing (and Android does not apparently support folder syncing to OPVAULT) this completely breaks my workflow. Please tell me how I can now sync my Android device, automatically and without using Dropbox (which I cannot do). Or failing that (guessing that I cannot do that w/o buying something) please tell me how to restore 1password to yesterday's state so that I can move on with my life. Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12
Sync Type: Folder
Referrer: forum-search:folder sync

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jeffsenn

I'm sorry for the confusion with 1Password. First of all, Android does accept OPVault now, while it was the last platform to get it, it's been able to use it for a while now. If you tell us which version of 1Password and Android you have installed we'll help you sort this out :chuffed:

On the other hand, it sounds like you are only syncing one desktop computer with one mobile phone, is this correct? If this is the case then WiFi Sync might be a bit easier for you: https://support.1password.com/wlan-server/

Please let us know how this goes for you and if you :chuffed:

• jeffsenn
    jeffsenn
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

(I have 1Password 6.4.1 on Android)

So there doesn't appear to be a way in the Sync settings on the Android app to change the path to where it is syncing.
    The path now ends with /1Password.agilekeychain

Is there something I'm missing -- turning off sync and back on still does not allow me to choose the new path to the OPVAULT file.

@Pilar: should I uninstall/reinstall the app?

• jeffsenn
    jeffsenn
    Community Member

WLAN sync is not an option as my devices are not necessarily on the same LAN. Also I (securely) sync the folder elsewhere as a backup.

• jeffsenn
    jeffsenn
    Community Member

@Pilar - this other thread says that OPVAULT syncing is only supported on Android over Dropbox (which I cannot use) -- is that still true?

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63281/android-app-does-not-recognize-opvault-and-says-there-is-no-vault-in-sync-folder-how-to-proceed

If so, what do you suggest?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jeffsenn

Sorry for the delay on the reply. I have moved your thread to our Android category so our experts on this platform can see it and help you better :chuffed: We'll get to the bottom of this soon, thank you for your patience!

• Hey @jeffsenn. Thanks for the info! :)

You are indeed correct that 1Password on Android can't sync OPVault vaults using local storage, so we'll need to switch back to Agile Keychain. However, 1Password on Mac creates OPVault vaults by default, which is why when you configured Folder Sync on that device, the vault was created in OPVault format.

Please go to your sync preferences on Mac and select None, and check the box to delete data from the folder. Then click Disable Sync. Then, from the menu bar, select Help > Tools, and uncheck Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync. Go back to your sync preferences and reconfigure Folder sync. This time it should create a .agilekeychain vault, and you should be able to sync your Android with this vault.

Let us know how that goes!

• jeffsenn
    jeffsenn
    Community Member

Whew! Thank you. That did it. (For anyone following along: the "Enable OPVault..." menu is disabled while preferences is open. Close preferences, uncheck it and return to Preferences to re-enable sync).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for following up. On behalf of Peri, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that helped. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.