Having trouble installing upgrade, problem with multiple copies

Options
RandyBillmeier
RandyBillmeier
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

Despite many attempts, I'm confused on how to start, access 1Password on mobile devices, and share 1Password with my wife. Altogether, I'm frustrated. Now there's an update & mini, and I have multiple copies and can't upgrade. Yet, when I go to the original, it says the version (3.8, I believe) is the most recent. Yet, I see there's a version 5. I'm just running in circles. I've never been able to get traction. I'm sure it's not as hard as I'm making it. Can I talk to a real person?
Randy Billmeier
Yarmouth, Maine

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Dear team. I'm lost and need assistance. Is there someone I can talk with?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RandyBillmeier,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with 1Password! I am a real person (just like everyone else on our team) and I'll be happy to help you out with this.

It sounds like there might be a few different things causing some confusion or problems, so I'll start with the information you included in your message. First, if you're still using 1Password 3 on your Mac, you'll definitely want to install a newer version. The most recent update for 1Password 3 for Mac was 3.8.22, so if that's the version you have installed, that's why it tells you it's up to date (newer versions are installed separately from version 3). Sorry for any confusion about that!

1Password 6 for Mac is currently the latest version, and it's a free upgrade for anyone who has a license for 1Password 4 or 5 for Mac (it looks like you bought a license for 1Password 5 for Mac in 2014). It sounds like you may have downloaded version 5 or 6 on your Mac, but you mentioned a problem related to having "multiple copies". That sounds like it might be the problem described here:

If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

Please click on the above link - are you getting an error message like the one from that support article? If so, the steps on that page should help to solve that. Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. It will help if you can let us know more specific details about what steps you're taking on your Mac and exactly what happens when you try those steps. Thanks in advance! :)

ref: 793188

• RandyBillmeier
    RandyBillmeier
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much. It's amazing how a small comment makes such a big difference on this end. I was able to trash the 1Password versions 5, though the error message had no . Thanks for letting me know my 3.8.22 is the most recent version on my Mac. So here's what I'm trying to do: I'll use our bank account as an example. I'd like to protect my bank account information here on my desktop and be able to access the same info via 1Password on my phone and IPad. Same for my wife on her iphone and ipad. Is that possible? I'm not sure how the licenses work. I know that if I go to to 1Password on my IPad, it's not the same info inside as when I access the program from my Mac, even though my master password is accepted on both devices. Not sure how to fix that, but we'd like to be able to get to the bank account with a wonderfully encrypted password no matter which device we use. I'm sure there's some easy solution, but it evades me.
    My BIGGEST issue, however, is that I don't seem to be able to get "started". Here's what I mean, using the bank account again:
    So I open 1Password, click on the +, and type in the website to the bank account. I put in my current user name and password at the site (sad as it is), access my personal information, and go to the section that allows me to change my password. I'm not sure what to do next, but I freeze because if I change the password using 1Password, then my wife will be locked out because she doesn't have it on her devices. Nor would I on mine. So now, if we go on vacation, our account is unavailable to us. Do you see what I mean? I just stop, fume, and another day or week goes by. This has been going on since 2014, and all the while my many sites continue to have easily hacked passwords.
    By the way - I have version 3.8.22, but you said above that I bought a license for 1Password 5 for Mac in 2014 (which I just trashed). Not sure what that means. I have 3.8.22 but bought a 5 license. What does that mean? FYI - in my Downloads folder, there are two RandyBillmeier onepassword licenses.
    OK, enough. I'm spinning. Is there hope? I sure want to use 1Password, but have been unable to get beyond the above problems since 2014. What do you think?
    Thank you again,
    Randy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @RandyBillmeier,

Thank you for the additional information! I have a much better idea of what you need help with, now. I'm sure we can help get this all sorted out! You asked about several different things, and we'll gladly help with each one, but first we should start with getting the right version of the 1Password app installed on your Mac.

I have 3.8.22 but bought a 5 license. What does that mean?

All that really means is that at some point, you downloaded the 1Password 3 app on your Mac.

Also, when you bought a 1Password 5 for Mac license, it included a free license code for 1Password 3, in case you needed to use it on an older Mac that doesn't support newer versions. But if your Mac is running OS X Yosemite or higher, you should switch to 1Password 6 (the same license file works with 1Password 4, 5, and 6). For now, you can leave the 1Password 3 app alone - it won't conflict with newer versions, and you'll be able to delete it later once version 6 is up and running.

So, the first thing you'll need to do is download 1Password 6 from our download site (click the 'Download' link under "1Password for Mac"). That will be a .pkg file - when the download is complete, open that .pkg file and follow the steps to complete the brief installation (it will put a copy of the 1Password 6.app file in the Applications folder).

When the installation is complete, open the Applications folder, find 1Password 6.app, and double-click on it. If you had previously been using version 5, then version 6 should simply ask for your master password. When you unlock it, do you see all your data?

If you aren't asked for your master password when you launch 1Password 6, please let us know exactly what you see instead. Thanks! :)

• RandyBillmeier
    RandyBillmeier
    Community Member
    Options

Yay! Progress is being made. I now have 1Password 6 installed and have the browser extension on my toolbar. 6 opens with my master password, and my sites, few as they are, are there. Looks good. (I have OS X Yosemite). Now I'm ready to start adding to my vault but need to make sure I can access 1Password on my and my wife's ipad and iphones. I assume I'll need to have a family plan, right? My goodness - it seems I'm almost there. I'm very appreciative to you and your responsive assistance. What's next?
    Thank you again! Randy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RandyBillmeier,

That's great, I'm glad version 6 is installed and working correctly! :) Now, assuming all your data from 1Password 3 is also showing up in 1Password 6, you can go ahead and drag the 1Password 3 app to the Trash (just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools to do that).

Now I'm ready to start adding to my vault but need to make sure I can access 1Password on my and my wife's ipad and iphones. I assume I'll need to have a family plan, right?

Yes, I definitely recommend signing up for a 1Password Families account, as that will be the easiest way to sync your data between your devices, as well as share data with your wife on her devices.

Currently, you have your 1Password data in a local/standalone vault on your Mac (in other words, a vault that isn't part of a 1Password.com account). After creating your account, you'll need to sign into that account from the 1Password 6 app, then move your existing data from the local/standalone vault to your new account vault. But don't worry, that's really easy! We take you through those steps here: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Once you've moved your data to your account, syncing it to your other devices is easy, because all you need to do is sign into your account in the 1Password app on those devices.

If everything goes well up to this point, the next steps is to share data with your wife. She will have her own account on your 1Password Families plan, and the two of you can easily share information with each other through the 'Shared' vault. We explain how that works here: Share passwords and other items with your whole family

Hopefully it all goes well, and if so, we can also explain how to update your website passwords. Let us know how it all goes, and if you have any questions about that. :)

• RandyBillmeier
    RandyBillmeier
    Community Member
    Options

I must say I liked the 1Password 3 interface better than the 6.
    So tonight I signed up for the 1Password family account and invited my wife to join, migrated accounts, such as they were, to the family account. That's where I stopped for the night. How do I : "Once you've moved your data to your account, syncing it to your other devices is easy, because all you need to do is sign into your account in the 1Password app on those devices." How do my devices gain access to the 1Password app?
    Thanks again. Things are looking up. I think.
    Randy

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RandyBillmeier

Thank you for your feedback about the interface, could you tell us some details of what you like better? :chuffed:

You will find the detailed instructions to set up 1Password and your account on different devices here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/. If you scroll down you'll find the details on how to set everything up for iOS, Mac, Android and Windows, depending on which are the platforms that you use. Once your account is set up on those devices, all your data will be there right away!

Please let us know how this goes for you, if you bump into any trouble we'll be here to help you out ;)

This discussion has been closed.