Adding new item in 1Password6 (6.1.272d) to shared vault doesn't appear in web app / other devices

Options

I added a new login using 1Password6 for Windows (6.1.272d) - using the browser extension to capture the login details. I chose to add it to a shared vault. This seemed to work fine, and I can see the item in 1Password6 for Windows. However, when I connect to my account using just the web based app, the item does not show up in the shared vault, and other users in my family can't see it on their devices. Help!

1Password Version: 6.1.272d
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Hi @clendening,

Are you the family organiser? Do you have permission to save items to that vault?
    If you add a login to your personal vault, does it sync up to the servers correctly?

Did you, by any chance change your master password on the website recently?

Cheers,

Alex

• clendening
    clendening
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Alex, yes I am the family organizer - and I created that vault - and the permissions look right. Now that you mention it, I just added a new login to my personal vault using the Windows client, and it doesn't show up either. So it would appear that I am definitely having problems with sync. I think I did change the master password a while ago - but I don't know if that qualifies as "recently" :). How do I get synced back up?

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member
    Options

I just had the reverse happen to me - I had adjusted items in the web app (as you can't really edit objects in 1P6 to add fields etc) and they didn't show up on my 1password. Quitting 1password completely and restarting it seems to have forced it to synchronise.

Have you tried exiting 1password from the tray and firing it back up again to see if that makes it sync?

• clendening
    clendening
    Community Member
    Options

Exiting - even rebooting didn't help. However, I found out how to sign out of the Windows Client (click the setting gear | Accounts & Vaults | | Sign out) and then signed back in - and everything is synced back up. However, the item I had added to the shared vault is gone - and indeed I'm sure it was probably never there. I'm pretty sure anything I've recently added is gone? I'm now wondering what context the 1P6 windows client was executing in - with respect to the back end data store. Even though it seems like everything was working fine, where were the login items that were being added to vaults actually being saved to - just a local copy?

• SlawekJG
    SlawekJG
    Community Member
    Options

I have exactly the same issue (the same version of 1Password for Windows, data saved in personal vault),
    I have added login in my Windows client, it doesn't appear in the Web, neither client for Mac.
    Computer was restarted.
    Now I afraid to do what @clendening did, as I loose my 'new', not synced data :-(
    Do you have a solution for this already maybe?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SlawekJG, @clendening, @Hatclub: Thanks for reaching out, folks! I'm really sorry for the trouble here. If the credentials for your 1Password Account are changed (different URL due to account switch, new Master Password, recovery for Account Key, etc.), the app won't be able to authenticate to send or receive data. After all, a preventative measure if your account has been compromised is to change the credentials, and we wouldn't want someone to be able use the old ones to get in! Please do the following:

1. Open Windows File Explorer
    2. Paste %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password into the address bar and press Enter
    3. Copy the contents to a safe location
    4. Manually save the changes you've made in the app into 1Password.com
    5. Go to 1Password Settings > Accounts & Vaults > Sign in to 1Password Account and add your current credentials

Just to clarify, 1Password stores a local copy of your data so that you aren't without it if there's network problem. But similarly if it has the incorrect credentials, it's essentially in "offline mode" because it cannot connect to send and receive data. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• clendening
    clendening
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @brenty,

That makes sense to have a local copy - and so my local copy must have diverged just slightly. I'm actually happy to totally discard my local copy since I only added a few unimportant items. I think I'm in a state (now that I refreshed the credentials in the widows client) where the one local copy has been copied and/or orphaned - because when I save a new login using the chrome extension - it asks what vault to put it in - and I now see the expected Family vaults - but I also see local copies of those family vaults. However, the windows client only shows the family vaults as expected. Given the state I'm in, I'm thinking the best medicine is to uninstall the app, and reinstall - unless there is a way to get the windows client to rebuild/clean the local copy from the cloud version. Thoughts?

• Hatclub
    Hatclub
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty okay, sure glad I didn't have that issue - I just had to restart 1P in my case as I haven't changed any credentials.

On this issue though, I would expect that 1Password should show it's status - whether credentials are wrong or 1P is disconnected - and if credentials are wrong allow the user to change them and resume syncing without risking data loss. Is this on the roadmap to address?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Hatclub: Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'm glad to hear that restarting helped in your case. You're absolutely right! This is something we're working on improving to make it easier. I just didn't want to leave anyone hanging with "wait for an update" since I'm sure there's stuff to do in the mean time.

@clendening: It shouldn't be necessary to reinstall. If all of your data is available to you on 1Password.com, then I'd recommend going to 1Password Settings > Accounts & Vaults > (Account/Vault name) > Sign out. Then go to 1Password Settings > Accounts & Vaults > Sign in to 1Password Account, and you should be all set!

This discussion has been closed.