Feature Request: Generate password menu context-menu everywhere

Options
bdpdx
bdpdx
Community Member

tl;dr - The password generator is very useful and I would like it to be available by context menu (right click) everywhere in the 1Password desktop app.

I'm using 1Password 6.3.4 for Mac and very happy with your product.

I use the secure notes feature quite a lot where I store passwords for sites I administer, it looks something like this:

site foo.bar.com
mysql:
user a: password
user b: password
nginx:
user c: password

and on and on.

It's more convenient for me to list passwords that I use infrequently in a note vs. the main list of passwords because they tend to be for daemon users (interprocess comms) and not my personal logins, so I don't want them cluttering up my 1Password accounts list.

I do however want access to the great password generator as it simplifies making strong passwords, but I can't get to it unless I stop editing a note, then add a password, then generate, then copy, then cancel adding the password, then edit my note again, then paste. Kinda cumbersome.

It would be awesome if I could just right-click while I'm editing any field anywhere and invoke the password generator to get a new password.

1Password Version: 6.3.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bdpdx

Thank you for taking some time to write to us and letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password! Have you tried using 1Password mini (in the menu bar) in combination with the main app of 1Password to achieve this? What I tried and I think would help your workflow is to open and start editing a note in the main app of 1Password, then when I need a password I use 1Password mini to create it without even leaving edit mode on the note, copy and paste it from there. I took a screenshot so it will make more sense :chuffed:

Please let us know if you try doing this and how it works for you!

• bdpdx
    bdpdx
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for helping with a workaround. This should suffice for now although please consider tighter integration with a context menu item in a future version.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bdpx

You're very welcome :chuffed: We'll keep your suggestion in mind, and we'll see what comes to 1Password in the future. If there's anything else that we can do for you, you know where to find us ;)

This discussion has been closed.