HELP! I have lost my "saved" data within Password after having told to delete .app and reinstall.

Options
Sarge
Sarge
Community Member

(Australia) Lost internet 4:00am Friday 21/10/16. Reconnected 10:00am Wednesday 26/10/16. Last used Password sometime last week. Noticed that Password appeared to be trying to download when internet connection lost (frozen update icon). New internet connection 27/10/16 (broadband optic fibre to node, copper wire node to house) . New modem installed. When reconnected to internet, downloaded Password Update. Was asked to delete Password.app and reinstall. Did so. Now when I open Password it opens to a database that has approximately 5% of what was there previously. I have a Mac and Time Capsule (but not sure how to retrieve backed-up data). I will be devastated if my data has been lost, as there was no way to print it as a back-up. I am a purchaser.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Wi-Fi
Referrer: forum-search:HELP! I have lost my "saved" data within Password after having told to delete .app and reinstall.

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sage

I'm very sorry to hear about the trouble that you're having. Could you please tell us which other device you're syncing your data with? I would also like to ask you to please send us a Diagnostics Report so we can take a look into your configuration and see what we can sort out from here :chuffed: Don't fear we'll sor this out soon!

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Sarge
    Sarge
    Community Member
    Options

"lost my saved data" appears to be resolved (restored from Timecapsul), but it would still be nice to be able to print the info - like others would be totally devastated if all the data can't be retrieved. The other devices were iPad and iPhone. I have just checked my iPad and it appears that they are syncing.
    Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sarge,

I'm happy to hear you were able to recover your 1Password data! I don't really understand how this problem could have happened in the first place, though. If all you did was delete the 1Password app, that wouldn't cause anything to happen to your data, because your 1Password data is stored in another location on your Mac.

However, I do have a theory: Is it possible that at one point you tried the AgileBits Store version of 1Password on your Mac (possibly as a trial), and then later purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store and switched to that version? If so, you would have had 2 separate 1Password databases on your Mac - the original database from the AgileBits Store version, and the newer database from the Mac App Store version. Therefore, if you recently deleted the Mac App Store version and then downloaded the AgileBits Store version from our website, the version from our website would have found the old/original database on your Mac instead of the newer database.

That's just a guess, and the specific details might be slightly different, but maybe that helps to explain what happened?

...it would still be nice to be able to print the info

If you also have all your latest 1Password data on your iPad, iPhone, and in Time Machine backups, you shouldn't need to worry about losing it. But if you would like to print out your data, you can certainly do that - in 1Password for Mac, there's a Print option in the File menu. If you do that, just make sure you keep the printout somewhere safe & secure!

We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

• Sarge
    Sarge
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew_AG
    Thanks for the reply and I believe you are spot on re:the free trial and then purchase through the Mac App store. Makes sense! Do I need to remove the original 1Password (free trial version) to avoid this again and if so how do I do it safely, ensuring only the free trial version is deleted? I'll try the print version later - hopefully won't have to get back to you on that!
    Many thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sarge,

You're very welcome, I'm glad my theory might help to explain what happened!

As for deleting the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, please check the Applications folder to see if you still have it installed. It's possible you'll see two different 1Password apps there:

• 1Password.app - This is the Mac App Store version.
    • 1Password 6.app - This is the AgileBits Store version.

If you see both of those in Applications, try opening each one in order to make sure which one shows all your data. You can delete the app that only shows a fraction of your data. For example, if 1Password 6.app (the AgileBits Store version) is the one that doesn't show all your data, quit that app and drag the 1Password 6.app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools when you do that).

Please let us know if you have more questions about that! :)

This discussion has been closed.