To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

If I lose my iPhone in Asia, can I login to see my vault on a public computer?

Banook
Banook
Community Member

I am heavily reliant on 1Password to store my commonly used logins including banking info. i use my iPhone exclusively while travelling. If it is lost or stolen will I be able to access my 1Password account using another device? if so please provide instructions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:If I lose my iPhone in Asia, can I login to see my vault on a public computer?

Comments

• I know what you mean, I feel the same way, that’s why 1Password is always the first app I install on any device I get my hands on. If you are using a 1Password Account, our new subscription service wherein we handle the storage of your logins for you, all you’d need to do is sign into your account on the new device and your 1Password logins will be there waiting for you:

Sign into your 1Password Account in the 1Password app

If you don’t have a 1Password Account, my best recommendation would be to take a moment and ensure iCloud sync is enabled in the 1Password app on your iOS device. This ensures a copy of your logins are always available to you on any other Apple devices, all you’d have to do is download the 1Password app and while setting it up, point it toward iCloud, enter your Master Password and you’ll be good to go. Here’s how to setup iCloud sync:

Sync via iCloud in 1Password for iOS

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any follow-up questions. :)

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

@SeanFoster,

I am a long-time 1Password user and am just trying to understand the new (to me) Account concept.

The OP says he or she uses an iPhone exclusively while traveling.

If that device is stolen, won't the only way to access the OP's vault on a new device involve using the OP's Emergency Kit, which presumably will be in a safe place at home?

Is there a workaround?

Thank you,

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

@SeanFoster,

P.S. In the subject line, the OP asks, "If I lose my iPhone in Asia, can I login to see my vault on a public computer?"

I presume that could not be safely done?

David

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, the OP would need the emergency kit. But all that is needed(apart from the master password, which is presumably in the OP's memory) is the account key. That could be written down somewhere, or provided in a copy of the emergency kit that did not include the master password and was brought along.

• @DavidB Yep! The Emergency Kit is their way back in to their account if they lose their devices that have the Account Key on them. It's also a good place to keep their Master Password in case they need it down the road. You can sign in to a 1Password account from a public computer and click "This is a public or shared computer" so the Account Key isn't stored locally like it is in your browser. While your account details are encrypted in transit, public computers do have their own risks locally, so you should use them cautiously.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

@danco,

Thanks for the explanation--makes sense.

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

@Jacob,

Thanks for elaborating--I didn't know that about public or shared computers before.

Doesn't seem very safe to travel with an Emergency kit containing both Master Password and Account Key though?

David

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

No, I would use an emergency kit that contained only the Account Key. The Master Password I would remember.

I might even store the Account Key in Dropbox and remember my Dropbox password. Probably not as secure as a printed Account Key, but still reasonably secure and more convenient.

• @DavidB While I personally do what danco mentioned, it doesn't work for everybody. Here at 1Password, I see a lot of folks who lose their Master Passwords because they didn't write them in their Emergency Kit. If you know yours well, traveling with just the Account Key would be fine. You can even cut out the QR code and carry that in your wallet. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I was thinking that one should have a copy of the Emergency Kit secured somewhere safe at home with both Account Key and Master Password.

But while travelling have a copy that does not contain the Master Password, as that copy may well not be secure enough.

• That seems sensible. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.