login with keyfile & without password

michael0101
michael0101
Community Member

hi team
first, thanks for the amazing product, i am happy every day i use 1password!

my question: is there an login option (on mac) where i can use an keyfile for master-password and no password?
i love apps where i be able to use keyfiles / smartcards / fingerprints (like 1password on idevice) or other options and no password.

greetings
michael

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: maos sierra
Sync Type: wlan

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

hi team
    first, thanks for the amazing product, i am happy every day i use 1password!

@michael0101: Wow! Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying 1Password! :chuffed:

my question: is there an login option (on mac) where i can use an keyfile for master-password and no password? i love apps where i be able to use keyfiles / smartcards / fingerprints (like 1password on idevice) or other options and no password.
    greetings
    michael

1Password only supports manual entry of the Master Password, not saving it anywhere. Storing it in your brain is (so far) the only way to ensure that no one can steal it, after all. :sunglasses:

However, while it isn't something we recommend, I know some folks use things like Yubikey's keyboard emulation to do what you're describing. Just keep in mind that if you do that and the device is lost or stolen, that can certainly be a problem.

• michael0101
    michael0101
    Community Member

hi brenty, thanks for your answer.

my idea would be to put a keyfile on a usb stick, 1password could read the file from the stick. if I lose the stick i would still have a new stick in a safe place and could create a new keyfile (the old key file would then no longer be valid). without stick no access to 1password. Or then only with an additional masterpassword.

i think this would be an option to the master password and should not replace it.

greetings
    michael

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, I understand. Something in addition to the Master Password. This is actually similar to what we've done with the Account Key for the 1Password.com subscription service, though this isn't a file. But it is possible to put the 1Password Account into Recovery and invalidate the previous Account Key and create a new one. Something like invalidating a key, however, really isn't feasible without the server component, since it needs to be managed somehow. Cheers! :)

• michael0101
    michael0101
    Community Member

okay, i have read your link. thats a great service for the online account.
    but i meant something for "offline use" (like veracrypt or truecrypt).
    look at the screenshot, that ist the login window from veracrypt http://www.directupload.net/file/d/4523/32cw8mue_png.htm
    there you can see under the "password" field the option to "use a keyfile"
    this keyfile can be put on a stick (and additionally a password assigned) thus access to the container is only possible with the keyfile or with password and keyfile.
    i would like to remember no more password.
    also no longer for the 1password ;-)
    therefore would be such a keyfile a great option (if one wants to use it)

i love the option on iphone to login with fingerprint and no password.
    my notebook havent a sensor :-(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions! That's certainly something I can pass along to our developers, although I can't make any promises about if or when something like that might be added.

Speaking of Touch ID, you might be interested in something we posted on our blog a few days ago: Having fun with Touch ID and the Touch Bar in 1Password

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.