How to ensure my information is not in the cloud

sastanford
sastanford
Community Member

Just signed up for a 1Password account. Installed the app on my iphone and on my laptop. Transferred SplashID info stored on my laptop into the 1Password app on my laptop. Then signed into the app on my iphone and all the records from my old SplashID account were already imported into the 1Password app on my iphone. This makes me think my passwords etc are now stored in the cloud. Which I really very much do not want to happen. How do I remove my information from the 1Password servers and keep only on my devices?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @sastanford

Thank you for your interest in 1Password and on how we keep your data secure :chuffed: If you are using a 1Password account, then your data is in fact stored in our servers. Your data never leaves your device unencrypted, and neither your Master Password nor your Account Key ever leave your device. These two are combined together to encrypt your data and keep it secure. If you tell me what are your concerns about the cloud, I'll be glad to get into some details about what we do to keep things secure. You can also read all the details by yourself in our white paper.

That being said, if you still want to remove your data from your account you need first to allow creation of local vaults by going to Preferences > Advanced and then enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". You can then moving all your items into the vault called "Primary" by following the same instructions here. The items stored here will be stored locally only and if you want to sync them you'll need to set it up by yourself. Wifi sync might be the best for you as I guess you won't want Dropbox or iCloud :chuffed:

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.