Can't sync my ipad through icloud and only bought today so assume have latest version

LachlanAinsley
LachlanAinsley
Community Member

Can't sync my ipad through icloud and only bought 1Password today so assume I have latest version, but everything i have read says i need 1Password 5 and i think i only have 4. My ipad has the latest updates.

1Password Version: 1Password 4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:Can't sync my ipad through icloud and only bought today so assume have latest version

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LachlanAinsley: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! While 1Password 4 is rather old and uses an older version of iCloud, I don't believe that Apple has discontinued that, so you should be able to use it to sync.

However, the new version of iCloud (CloudKit) on iOS 8/Yosemite or higher is not compatible with this. So if you're using 1Password 4 on an old device and 1Password 5/6 on a newer one, they will not be able to share iCloud data.

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me all OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using so we can figure out the best plan of action:

http://support.1password.com/cs/version/

The more information you can give, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• LachlanAinsley
    LachlanAinsley
    Community Member

OS 10.1
    1Password 4

where do i find device version? It is the latest ipad pro

• LachlanAinsley
    LachlanAinsley
    Community Member

If 1Password 4 is rather old why is it still being sold today?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LachlanAinsley: We don't sell 1Password 4. 1Password for iOS is a single app in the App Store, which will show you the newest version for your device. The only way to purchase and/or install 1Password 4 through Apple is to do so on an older device — unless there's some bug with the App Store, in which case be sure to let Apple know.

For example, I purchased 1Password back when version 4 was released, and it's since been updated many times, including versions 5 and 6. But on my old iPod, version 4 is the newest that can run, so the App Store gives me the option to install that release.

Regarding the device, there have only been two iPad Pros released, so just let us know if you're using the 9.7" or 12.9", in case we need to test something ourselves. However, without knowing the other devices you're trying to sync with, it's really hard to say much more.

If you're using an iPad Pro using the latest version of iOS though, you should really just update to 1Password 6 though the App Store. 1Password 4 supports iOS 6 and 7; whereas 1Password 6 fully supports both iOS 9 and 10. If you really have 1Password 4 installed, I suspect it's because you restored the iPad from another device's backup, since the App Store won't offer 1Password 4 to an iOS 10 device. I couldn't install it on my iPad even if I wanted to!

Once you're using 1Password 6, it can sync using the new iCloud that Apple rolled out a few years ago. 1Password 4 predates that, so it cannot connect to it. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• LachlanAinsley
    LachlanAinsley
    Community Member

Ok so i am very sorry but i feel i am not very good at explaining. I purchased from my PC 1Password 4 through the AgileBits website this morning and have it installed and running great. i was then trying to sync my account (if i can call it that) so that i could see/use all my 1Password on my ipad pro 12.9" and iphone 6S. Does this make thing any clearer?

• LachlanAinsley
    LachlanAinsley
    Community Member

I downloaded the app from the app store and then proceeded to connect using icloud and that is where i ran into trouble and it came up with the error 'existing data not found'

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LachlanAinsley: No need to apologize! I'm just trying to make sure I understand fully so I don't send you on a wild goose chase. :) :+1:

Thank you for clarifying that for me! I thought we were talking only about 1Password for iOS. Version 4 there is very old. However, 1Password for Windows version 4 is still being updated, so it's perfectly fine that you're using that on your PC!

It sounds like the issue we're running into is that 1Password on your PC cannot sync with iCloud. Apple doesn't offer CloudKit on Windows at all, so it cannot access the data you sync to iCloud on your Apple devices. That makes much more sense. Dropbox, on the other hand, is supported in 1Password across all platforms, so you can use that to sync between your devices:

Dropbox sync setup

However, you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it will give you access to all of the apps and do away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data:

1Password.com

You can use the free trial, and if you decide to use that instead, we can make arrangements to credit you for the license purchase you just made. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.