1Password and Ubuntu

ThomasPurchas
ThomasPurchas
Community Member
edited January 2018 in Families

I've just started using Ubuntu, and noticed that the Windows Beta needed to use 1Password Families does not work in Wine. Additionally I can't get my old 1Password licence to work in 1Password 4.0.6. What do I do next to get 1Password on Ubuntu to work?

AgileBits Update

1Password X is available publicly, and works with 1Password.com accounts in Chrome on Linux (as well as other platforms). Check it out:

Get to know 1Password X

And we also have a beta CLI app available for many platforms as well:

1Password command-line tool

Cheers! :) :+1:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2018

Hi @ThomasPurchas

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

1Password supports Linux (including Ubuntu). Check out 1Password X and I think you'll enjoy what you find. 🙂

I hope that helps!

Ben

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member

@ThomasPurchas.

I have been using Linux Mint for years and had setup 1Password version 4 with Wine and it did work okay but I haven't tried the latest beta. I went for the Family account instead! It is working perfectly with the Crome browser on Linux Mint. Note that Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu so it should be fine to try out Crome or Firefox on Ubuntu with a Family account.
    You loose the browser extention for sure but it is a little extra effort to just click the "copy" button on the vault page, switch tabpage to the page you want to login and paste the code here.
    Hope that helps :)

• ThomasPurchas
    ThomasPurchas
    Community Member

@SoftAllan I've got a Family account, I've just been a tad lazy migrating my vault over to it. Looks like I should just migrate and get it over with.

Would have been nice if the browser extension continued working, and I've tried the new beta but I think its .NET 4.6 requirement is a tad too much for wine. I can't even get the installer to launch ☹

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ThomasPurchas: Unfortunately while 1Password 4 is able to function under Wine, the 1Password 6 beta is not. I think you're probably right about .Net being a part of that. Fortunately you can at least use the 1Password Families web interface to access your data on Linux.

• SoftAllan
    SoftAllan
    Community Member

@ThomasPurchas If you should be so lucky to have a windows machine around or a virtual machine with windows on it, you could use the beta with dropbrox to migrate the vault to the Family account. Have a look at https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate.
    Unfortunately we are not many enough on Linux to make it worth while for companies like 1Password to make the extra effort for applications to run on Linux also. I can only hope that it will change in the future for .Net Core. Not sure of 1Password will have a look at that since that would make it run on any platform.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SoftAllan: It's certainly something we'll keep our eye on. Cheers! :)

• oxys
    oxys
    Community Member

was nice to use 1password, I will have to find a more open solution... :cry:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@oxys,

Are you having trouble accessing your data on 1Password.com with a 1Password account? We'd love to help you get it working as well as it is for others on Linux.

• ICEvans
    ICEvans
    Community Member

So sad that viable market is ignored due to false reporting. Many of us over the past few years have given up on Microsoft and Apple products for many reasons - loyal Agilebits customers and users for over a decade who are forced to abandon ship. No one I know wants to access (extremely) personal data through a DOT COM. Been asking for 5 years for a solution to work with Linux and/or BSD. I guess our money isn't worth the effort???

• Linux support is still something we'd like to do because there are a lot of folks who want it, it's just not on the priority list right now. If we do support it eventually, there may be a chance it is fully offline as you're looking for, but a more likely scenario is that we'll have a browser extension that communicates with the server and doesn't need the app. :) Thanks for the feedback!

• jesse
    jesse
    Community Member

Great to hear that Linux support may eventually come into development. Especially now that 1Password has turned towards the subscription model with great native apps that work (almost) everywhere. For now I can deal using the web interface which is also the only option for Chrome OS users. If only the browser extension could securely be standalone and connect to 1password.com vaults directly.

• The web interface is pretty nice eh? I'm excited to see what we've got in store for that in the future.

• segphault
    segphault
    Community Member

Just wanted to drop in with a +1 for Linux support. I agree that the web interface is great for managing and editing passwords, it's really the just the browser extension that is missing. It'd be cool if you guys made a headless daemon or something that can talk to your backend and support the browser extension protocol—you don't even need to do a native user interface for Linux given that the web interface is good enough. Fwiw I have a family subscription and I'm quite happy with it aside from the lack of native Linux support.

• Thanks for the feedback, @segphault! Hopefully that is something we can consider down the line.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

There is a 6 year old thread on 1Password for Linux :blush: @segphault might want to put in a vote there.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/2846/new-product-request-1password-for-linux/p1

I'm surprised at the longevity of the discussion, for a platform that is minuscule , about 1 - 2%, even by Mac standards .

• There is a 6 year old thread on 1Password for Linux :blush: @segphault might want to put in a vote there.

No voting twice! That isn't fair. :tongue: :)

I'm surprised at the longevity of the discussion, for a platform that is minuscule , about 1 - 2%, even by Mac standards .

We tend to attract a crowd that is interested in security on a very technical level, and so I suppose it is not all that surprising that many of those folks need access to their passwords from Linux.

Ben

• daniel_winter
    daniel_winter
    Community Member

Hi,

I waited a long time to finally replace my 2011 macbook pro but was shocked about the last updates Apple released. So I'm playing with the thoughts of turning my back on Apple. Since Windows is not an option for me atm my next choice would be ubuntu...So of course I would love to see 1Password coming to Mac too. Right now ubuntu already supports all the dev tools we use in our day2day work..almost. 1Password is the only tool that our Team is using heavily which would really hurt to not have it as a native app.

So biiig +1 for an official 1Password Ubuntu Release :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know! It definitely helps to get a sense of the interest out there. Cheers! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I second @daniel_winter comment. I too am moving to Linux and want to use 1password. To be brutally honest if I move to the competition (you know who i'm talking about) I probably won't move back because of all the hassle.

I highly recommend you rethink Linux support and if you guys are serious give us a timeline. Using a stopgap for a few months isn't an issue, using one for a longer period of time is. While I get that as a company resources are limited and priorities must be made, I think Agile Bits is severely underestimating the Linux market. I really don't want to switch but as of now don't have much choice.

So for me as well, +1 Linux support.

• Thanks for the perspective. Several members of the AgileBits team use Linux as well, so we have folks here who would appreciate a better 1Password experience there too. We're just not there yet.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member

Speaking about perspective.

Technically savvy linux users are likely to champion your services to friends and family. You might find that we represent a greater user base than just ourselves that are worth targeting.

So people like myself who use linux (ubuntu specifically) are trying to convince their whole family to switch to 1password for families but it becomes much harder when we can't access it ourselves.

So my one vote actually translates into at least 7 votes for potential users, possibly even more for extended family.

I'd be happy if we could just run it through wine.

• Great point! The challenge of running 1Password with Wine is the browser extension. That's what most people want to use, which is why 1Password.com isn't a great Linux solution right now. One of our team members loves Linux, so she wrote a knowledge base article about using 1Password 4 with it:

Running 1Password for Windows on Linux systems

It's not officially supported, and we haven't tested 1Password 6 with it (that's the version you'd need to use 1Password Families). You're welcome to give it a go if you'd like.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member

Thanks for replying. I do currently use wine with windows v4. I was specifically referring to v6 for the families support. I've given it a go to try and get v6 running myself but falling short on technical knowledge around getting .net running under wine

• Ah, good to know. .NET is a challenge with Wine. I spoke with the Windows team and they don't know of a way to use it right now since Wine emulates an unsupported version of Windows. When Wine gets support for .NET 4.6.2, you may be able to use 1Password there. Perhaps keep an eye on their releases.

• trobotham
    trobotham
    Community Member

I am actually really surprised that this isn't higher priority, I do not use Windows at all, I am strictly OS X and Linux, I would love to see native Linux support.

• zoltrain
    zoltrain
    Community Member

Would porting the windows codebase to .Net Core be an option? Linux support is pretty OK at the moment.

Though you would still need to sort the GUI, that way you remove the need for windows emulation right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trobotham: Thanks for letting us know!

@zoltrain: It's certainly an interesting possibility. If we make a Linux app, I think it would be preferable to avoid emulation.

• trizz
    trizz
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

I've used nativefier to create an app from the webinterface (only works when you're using 1Password teams or familiy).

• Install nativefier: npm install nativefier -g
    • Run: nativefier --name "1Password" --disable-context-menu --disable-dev-tools "https://<USERNAME>.1password.com/"

If you would like to set an icon:

• Download an icon (for example this one )
    • Run the command above, but add --icon "/path/to/donwloaded/icon.png" before the URL.

While this solution doesn't create a true, native app, it will allow you to use the webinterface as if it was an app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trizz: That's awesome! Thanks for posting that! I used to use the relatively similar Fluid app on OS X, and I hadn't heard of that before. Very useful. :)

• Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

I'm waiting for many months and years, but agilebits don't release a Linux Client.
    I've bought many Mac, Windows, Mac+Win licenses, i make a 1password family subscription and hope that agilebits developed a browser
    extentions which works on Win/Mac/Linux. But nothings happens. I can't understand this, and now it's the time to say goodbye.

I'll switch to lastpass, this works on every OS and every browser.

Bye 1password, in the past you where great, but now is the time to switch to a program that works everywhere. I don't need a cool layout (the Win10 version is terrible), i need a program thats work great.

This discussion has been closed.