update failed on macOS 10.11.6

mary_shapiro
mary_shapiro
Community Member
edited November 2016 in Mac

I tried to install update of 1password but it failed. Now every time on startup I get error message "update failed. Can't find the application. How can I get this message to stop coming up on startup?

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:update failed

Comments

• Hi @mary_shapiro! Sorry about that. Could you open Finder, click Applications, and move 1Password to the Trash? Don't use an app cleaner — just move the app itself to the Trash and empty the Trash. Now let's install the latest version of 1Password for Mac directly from the website: https://1password.com/downloads

Open and unlock it once you've installed it, and things should be working smoothly again. Let us know how it goes! :)

• mary_shapiro
    mary_shapiro
    Community Member

Thanks Jacob. I tried this a few times. Deleted 1Password and then reinstalled it. I even deleted it and started up without reinstalling it. The error message came up again as soon as I reinstalled 1Password from the website. Any other suggestions?

error message: "update failed. Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application"

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mary_shapiro,

Hmm, that's odd - if you downloaded the installer for 1Password 6 from our download site, that's already the latest version, so I don't know what update that message is referring to. Does that error message prevent you from using the 1Password app? Or does that seem to work correctly, but you also keep seeing that message?

If you're able to launch the 1Password app, try going to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar. Does that show that it's version 6.3.5? If so, close that window and go to 1Password > Check for Updates. It should say you have the latest version installed, but if it doesn't, what does it say instead?

Also, it would be helpful if you could take a screenshot of the "update failed" error message the next time you see it. To include that screenshot in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

• mary_shapiro
    mary_shapiro
    Community Member

Drew, Thanks for your response.
    In order to do anything after startup I need to quit out of the failed update. Then everything works fine including 1password 6.3.5. It is just annoying to have this error message come up. see below.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mary_shapiro: Can you tell us what method you're using to delete/uninstall 1Password? Is there other 3rd party software involved? Jacob asked about a "cleaner" app, and I had the same thought. I simply haven't seen anything like this except in those cases. Please let us know!

• mary_shapiro
    mary_shapiro
    Community Member

I don't have any cleaner. I open application folder, find 1password and drag it tot the trash. then empty trash. then restart. any other suggestions? it is still coming up with error on startup. unless I don't reinstall 1password. then I don't see the error message until I reinstall 1password again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @mary_shapiro,

That's very strange, but I'm sure we can figure this out! To help us do that, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• mary_shapiro
    mary_shapiro
    Community Member

For your reference, your support ID is [#AJM-98521-537]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, @mary_shapiro! We received your Diagnostics Report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: AJM-98521-537

This discussion has been closed.