No Way to Get Dashlane into 1Password

stmbarnes
stmbarnes
Community Member

I decided to take the plunge and move back to 1Password from Dashlane as you now have your own sync process that doesn't involve Dropbox. Unfortunately, I'm having horrible luck at trying to move my hundreds of existing passwords back in, given the only import method is via a 1PIF and the utilities don't work for Dashlane.

I'm OK with creating my own file, but there doesn't seem to be any documentation on the 1PIF format, leaving me in a bind. I really don't want to have to manually import.

Is there a method or documentation I missed along the way?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:manually create import file, kb:undefined, kb-search:manually create 1pif

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2016

Hi @stmbarnes ,

Dashlane attempts to export to CSV, but it is horribly broken and inadequate.

You'll have to manually work the export file to place it into a one or more CSV formatted files (one category per CSV), and then you can use the csv converter from the converter suite to import your Logins and Credit Cards. Use the 1.09 version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post.

Perhaps these comments will help.

Forget trying to create a 1PIF file manually - it is far too complicated to do manually.

• stmbarnes
    stmbarnes
    Community Member

Thanks for the information. This leaves me a bit discouraged then; Seems like a bit too much work to have to install a Perl interpreter and run custom apps just to get the file into a format 1Password will ingest. While I understand Dashlane does a horrible job with their export, the fact that 1Password can't accept a generic CSV seems like a miss as well.

However, I was able to solve it in another way. I installed 1Password 4 for Windows, created a new dummy archive, imported the CSV in that way, and exported out the passwords into a 1PIF using that application. Then all I had to do was uninstall 1Password 4, and import the passwords.

Before anyone asks, yes its just installing another application similar to the Perl script - However, being a bit OCD about my PC I prefer installing the signed 1Password app vs. a Perl application I have no familiarity with. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2016

@stmbarnes ,

As you've found, you can use the 1Password 4 for Windows, or 1Password for OS X, to import a compatible CSV file. Then you can export a 1PIF.

1Password 6 for Windows is still in its infancy.

FYI: Strawberry Perl is well known, and highly regarded. I suggested the converter suite as an alternative, because the csv converter is much more forgiving, feature rich, and diagnostic-providing than the native 1Password CSV importer (which is an unforgiving black box). And since you were manually working a CSV file, the diagnostics and forgiving nature is often important.

Anyway, glad you found your solution! Enjoy 1Password.

• stmbarnes
    stmbarnes
    Community Member

Thank you (and I appreciate the quick help you offered)!

• Hi @stmbarnes! Glad you found that handy workaround with 1Password 4. We're hoping to add CSV importing to 1Password 6 as well in the future. As MrC mentioned, it's still young. :) If you have some other questions down the road just let us know.

This discussion has been closed.