1Password doesn't learn a username if I already have a password

ThomG
ThomG
Community Member

This happens when I use websites that ask for or update a password on a separate page from the username. I understand that 1Password can't reasonably be expected to figure out my username, but I feel like the next time I log in it should be able to detect that I provided a username and ask if I want to update my login info. Honestly, I feel like this might have worked in the past. Is it possible that I've got something set wrong in 1Password?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Family/Team license

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ThomG,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about that! I can definitely help to explain what's going on here.

What you've described is actually normal, and the reason is that username fields and password fields work differently from each other. It's pretty easy for 1Password to detect when you've filled in a password field in a web form because password fields are unique in the way they work (for example, they normally hide the text you type).

On the other hand, a username field on a web form is usually just a plain text field, so 1Password doesn't have a way to reliably tell the difference between a username field and any other type of text field. In order for 1Password to prompt you when entering a username, it would also have to prompt you when entering an email address, name, phone number, coupon code, or even a number of items you want to purchase, as those are all text fields which work the same way as a username field.

Because the autosave prompt is only triggered when a password field is involved, you won't be asked to save or update a Login item if the only field on that page is the username. But there are a couple ways to save that in 1Password. If you've already saved a Login item with your password for that site, edit that item in 1Password and enter your username in the 'username' field (right above the password). Make sure you click 'Save' when you're done. Then sign out of that site and try to sign back in again by having 1Password fill the username on the first page, and the password on the second page.

If for some reason that doesn't work correctly, you can save a new Login item for that site by following the steps here: Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages

Does that help? If you're still having trouble with that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• ThomG
    ThomG
    Community Member

Thanks. That's sort of what I guessed was happening, but I was hopeful that 1Password might have some good heuristics for guessing at a username/email field. I can see how that could be problematic, though. Thanks for the response.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! I'm glad my answer helped to explain that. Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.