I'm having problems getting started. Can I do-over the CSV file import?

I'm having several problems getting started. I'm trying to install on both Windows and Mac, and just downloaded both. I tried to do a CSV import of my existing data (did the csv to pif conversion on the mac), but I found some formatting errors on the first attempt (mainly had things in the tag column that should not have been tags), and ended up with a lot of bad entries. I fixed my CSV and want to start over. Can I delete the import or the vault, and start over and try to re-import a corrected pif file? I tried to just do a 2nd import, but the bad entries don't go away.

So far I did the import on Windows. I found an article on how to delete the vault, but I can't find that option in the program (it looks like I'm using 6.1.286d). I also can't find it on the website. The website also so far shows 0 entries, it doesn't have what I imported in Windows.

I didn't do the import on the Mac, because I can't find the import option in the Mac version. Where is it? (I'm using a downloaded version, not the one from the app store)

1Password Version: 6.1.286d
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: None yet, 1Password if I can get it to work
Referrer: forum-search:help

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2016

@gestrait ,

Yes, you can just delete your entries and re-import. I do this routinely when I test converters.

Empty the trash if you want.

1Password 4 for Windows can be a little slow removing large numbers of entries, and I don't know about 1Password 6. Either way, perhaps be a little patient after the mass delete, especially if your items are stored in Dropbox.

You can create a new vault, import there, and once satisfied, move them to your primary vault.

Importing on a Mac is under File > Import, and select 1Password (for 1PIF files).

• gestrait
    gestrait
    Community Member

OK. Can I do a select all to delete? Due to problems with my first CSV, I ended up with about 2000 entries (should have been over 400, I hope 1Password can handle that many), I hope I don't have to delete one at a time. Right now, 1Password isn't even responding. Maybe due to all the entries? I haven't got any sync working yet, so no delay due to dropbox.

Also, I found the import on the Mac. It's not in the main window like it is on Windows, it's at the top of the screen (just got the Mac, and am still getting used to how it does things). I did another import there since so far things aren't syncing. That import came out better, but there's still some entries that I have to fix.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2016

@gestrait ,

Yes, you can select all and delete. Select an item in the items list, then Control-A to select All, right click one of them and select Move to trash.

• gestrait
    gestrait
    Community Member

OK, getting closer to what I want. Did the delete all. I may do it again after I put some appropriate tags in my CSV, I think this will be faster than editing each entry in 1Password.

I notice one other unexpected thing... all my contacts got imported somehow and show up with the phone number in the password field. They're not from my CSV. Is this normal, or an option? They're tagged the same as everything else. Can they be tagged separately from my other imports?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@gestrait ,

Sorry for the delay in replying yesterday - with Halloween and having a last minute dinner to host, I got a bit busy.

If you are going to be working your CSV to add new tags, etc. I might suggest you use the csv converter in the converter suite since it allows you to customize the field names for additional custom fields. If you use it, use the 1.09 version of the converter in Testing Bits.

For your "contacts", I have no idea about those. If all your data came from your CSV, and you say the CSV didn't have such data, this is a mystery. Regardless, 1Password for Windows can only import its Login categories - perhaps your CSV had some data that didn't quite map correctly to the mappable CSV columns? Check your CSV file completely for any of that data. Otherwise, you must have imported this inadvertently, or synced from another install?

1Password does not manage Contacts - it does have an Identity category, which is for your personal (and perhaps a family member's) identity for form-filling purposes.

• gestrait
    gestrait
    Community Member

You're right about the contacts. I'm trying to convert to 1Password from a password protected spreadsheet I've been keeping passwords in (which was also kept in an encrypted database), thus the CSV import. I have a new Mac that doesn't support the same tools, so I'm trying to convert over to 1Password. I found at some point I placed my contacts, along with some other miscellaneous info in the spreadsheet for safe keeping (after some blank lines below the last password, so I didn't notice them). This is why it's taking me several attempts to get everything to import correctly.

No problem on the delay, I'm only working on this conversion when I have some spare minutes.

• Hi @gestrait,

I'm going to chime in here until MrC has had a chance to reply again.

Have you attempted to convert the CSV after removing the contacts from the spreadsheet?

Now I'm going to go quiet again. MrC is the incredibly kind soul making the converter and the expert on password data conversion.

Cheers,

Alex

• gestrait
    gestrait
    Community Member

I'm already using the converter suite. I have not tried again yet, I've been too busy to work on this, and want to spend more time in my original spreadsheet to try to make the conversion come out better. I'm not in need of any more help a the moment. My years-old spreadsheet mostly followed the conversion format already (title, userid, password columns, but there are exceptions where I put other types of data in some rows (things like combination lock combinations, account numbers, etc.). In quite a few cases I had entries in several additional columns with various types of data. If I clean up these columns to be more consistent, I can probably take better advantage of the customized field names. I tried the customized names already on my 2nd conversion attempt, and I think with some adjustments in my spreadsheet, I can take better advantage of them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that's a good idea! The more you can get the data organized the way you want it beforehand, the less time you'll need to spend "fixing" items after importing. Good luck! We're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.