To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Remove Windows Device from 1Password Account Profile

Smange
Smange
Community Member

I'm having syncing problems with 1Password 6 on my Windows machine and I would like to do a fresh install of the app to see if that fixes the problem. I tried removing the windows devices from the "Authenticated Devices" on my 1Password profile (for some reason its on there twice) but an error pops up reading "1Password for Windows doesn’t support device de-authorization quite yet." I know this is probably something that will be implemented in the future but I'm wondering if I could at least have one of them removed since it seems like my Windows device has been added twice for some reason. Also, will this affect a fresh install on the device if it isn't removed?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Professional
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @Smange! I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with 1Password 6 for Windows has been causing! I don’t believe that deauthorizing your PC will help sort out that particular sync issue, though reinstalling the application itself is a possibility. Before we get to that though, can you let me know a bit more about the sync issue? I noticed you have your 1Password Account on a few devices, I’m guessing all items are syncing normally across them and 1Password 6 on the PC is a bit out of the loop, or have new items stopped appearing on the PC entirely?

Can you let me know which version of 1Password 6 for Windows you currently have installed? Just launch 1Password 6, click the Gear icon in the top right corner and select Options > Update and you should see your version number here. It receives regular updates, almost weekly at this point so I’d like to confirm you are running the latest version 6.1.286.

As for why you may have more than one instance of your PC in your list of authorized devices, I suspect this is due to the recent Windows 10.1 Anniversary update, same computer but due to the OS update it’s now registering as a “new” device already authorized to use your account. The same thing happened to me with both my Mac and Windows PC with their recent operating system updates.

• Smange
    Smange
    Community Member

Yes I have 1Password installed on multiple devices but only 1 Windows machine. I just did a fresh install last night and downloaded the latest version from my.1password.com/apps which is 6.1.286. The fresh install did fix the syncing issue and everything seems to be normal now except that because of the fresh install my Windows machine now shows up 3 times in my authorized devices list in my profile lol. I guess this is a known bug but if there's any way to remove the extra Windows devices let me know. Thanks!

• Thanks for the follow-up, I’m glad to hear 1Password is syncing normally now.

Unfortunately there is no way to remove those particular entries in your list of authorized devices at this time, but while I can’t say for sure when it will be, you should able to de-authorize those other two instances of your Account on your Windows PC in a future update. I know it is on the To-Do list. I hope it’s not too much of an inconvenience for you for the time being. :chuffed:

• Smange
    Smange
    Community Member

Gotcha I thought that might be the case haha. Thanks for your help!

• On behalf of Sean, you're welcome! Feel free to stop into the forums if you need something in the future. :)

• colinclausen
    colinclausen
    Community Member

Quick follow-up question on this... If you can't deauthorize from the web-based profile page, will previously used Windows machines/browsers be removed from the web-based profile if you uninstall or log out of 1PW from those Windows machines/browsers?

• dteare
    edited November 2016

Hi @colinclausen,

Thanks for the great question.

When your uninstall 1Password from a Windows machine, we're not notified of this action by the OS so we're not able to notify our service to deauthorize the device. In fact, you probably wouldn't want us doing that anyway as you might simply be installing a new version and you'd want to just pick up where you left off without needing to enter all your account details again.

As for logging out of your 1Password account, ideally we'd remove the device from your Authorized Devices list to keep things tidy, but you could be offline when you logout so at this point we're not doing so. It's not an issue as logging out removes the local storage of your Account Key. And since your Master Password is not stored anywhere, there's no way for that device to sync with your account. Still, it doesn't look very good so I've asked the team to look into it.

By the way, I just poked our Windows devs on the deauthorization button so hopefully this will be fixed soon :)

Thanks again for the great question!

++dave;

• colinclausen
    colinclausen
    Community Member

Hi Dave, I was hoping to follow-up on this. what is the 'best practice' for keeping a tidy 'authorized devices' list under a user's profile? I am building an elephant graveyard of windows devices that are keeping me from getting a quick glance of my current authorized devices. Do you know how this can be best managed on the windows platform?

• ssoroka
    ssoroka
    1Password Alumni

Hey @colinclausen,

In some of our upcoming updates we have some changes coming to make the device list a lot easier to use. For example, we're adding timestamps to the device list to make it a lot easier to see when the last time each device authenticated.

Once this is in it should be a lot easier to see what's current and what's outdated.

Cheers,
    Steven

This discussion has been closed.