Local Folder Location

Options

I upgraded from V4 and imported my local vault, which was in my Dropbox folder. I'd like for it to still be there. How can I relocate it from wherever it is now? I notice there is an option to connect to Dropbox, but I'm not sure that's the option I need. In any event I thought I'd take a look at it, but 1P wouldn't connect to Dropbox. It went through the login then returned an error page saying it couldn't find anything. At least I think that's what it said, as at that point my PC froze with 92% CPU (I see high CPU is reported elsewhere as an issue).

I restarted my PC and now 1P wpn't open. The icon displays on the task bar but the window won't display. Should I raise another psot about that?

As result of that I couldn't find out the version of 1P that I'm using . Suffice to say I downloaded it today and installed on Win10 Pro

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@newbietoo: I'm sorry for the confusion! If you're using a local vault in Dropbox, definitely use 1Password 4. 1Password 6 does not yet support local vaults, and is only needed for the subscription service. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

This is getting complicated, as other issues arise as I work throught this

1. Does that mean 1P6 only works when you're online? I haven't been able to properly check for that as (refer original post), my 1P desktop no longer works. The basis of my question is that I don't want to be totally dependent on having my vault (only) on your server. For 'insurance' purposes e.g. you go out of business say. I'd like the ability to store a copy in my backups. I won't be using it as such.

2. I have uninstalled and reinstalled 1P to no effect. The icon displays in the task bar and when I mouse over it it shows the login window, but that won't display full size. I can access logins via a browser, but little point when offline. However I can't see how to get to Secure Notes or Identities from there. Selecting 'Options' does nothing.

I think you need to give me instructions to properly remove 1P e.g. Registry entries et al, so I can then try a clean install.

All of that said, I'd say there's clearly some stability issues given it can freeze my PC

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, I'v

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

FYI, I've mentioned this post (specifically the CPU issue) in this other post, as it is requesting examples : https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/71347/windows-load-nearly-100-for-1password-why#latest

• Hey @newbietoo,

Sorry for the confusion. 1Password 6 can be used offline. The point Brenty was making is that it doesn't yet support write access for local vaults or those synced via Dropbox.
    At the moment, those vaults are read-only, meaning you can't edit existing items or add new ones.

We'd recommend switching to 1Password 4 unless you're planning to move your data to a 1Password.com account.

As for the high CPU load issue, we're going to respond in the other thread.

Cheers!

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I think if I continue with 1Password, V4 is the way to go. From my experience at least, V6 doesn't seem ready for prime time on a number of counts

So where do I download V4 from? How does that work with the Family Account?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@newbietoo: 1Password 4 can be downloaded from the main download page (where it says "get 1Password 4") or our update site. Again, 1Password 6 definitely isn't ready for local vaults, but it fully supports 1Password Accounts; 1Password 4 cannot support 1Password Accounts.

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

How do I get data from my V6 vault into the V4 one? Also when uninstalling V6 I don't get a clean uninstall, or at least I don't believe I do, as when I reinstall V6 is doesn't work. I'd like to properly get rid of it before installing V4

• All components of 1Password 6 are contained in the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password.
    Both the local database for 1Password 6 and the application itself is stored there.

Please make sure not to delete your local vault (a file ending in .agilekeychain or .opvault), you will need that for 1Password 4.

We recommend not using third-party uninstallers. They can sometimes be rather overzealous and have been know to delete user data alongside the apps.

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

I still have my 'old' V4 vault folder (n Dropbox), but I don't see any files that look like that in the V6 folders.

I don't see any keychain files in that location (AppData_Local_1Password), just two sqlite files. I did find backup (zip) files in Documents_1Password_backups, which judging by the dates are from V4. When I first installed V6 I cleaned up a lot of data. so if I'm going back to V4 they're the files I need to use, not the old V4 ones.

So, I'm guessing the keychain files are inside the sqlite files i.e. not where I can get to them?

I resorted to a 3rd party uninstaller because, as I explained, 1P 6 currently doesn't work and when uninstalled with the regular uninstaller and then re-installed it still doesn't work, so I'm guessing there's some residual stuff hanging around.

• Hey @newbietoo,

The sqlite files are the local database that 1Password 6 uses. If you still have you local vault folder (.agilekeychain or .opvault) in your Dropbox, this should contain all of your data and you can simply open it in 1Password 4.

Please install 1Password 4, open the vault that's in your Dropbox and once you've confirmed that all of your data is present, remove 1Password 6.

Cheers,

Alex

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

Alex,

As I mentioned earlier, my files were updated/modified when I moved to V6 i.e. the V4 files are now out of date. So how can I export my V6 vault, given V6 no longer works on my PC i.e despite numerous uninstalls/reinstalls?

• Hi @newbietoo,

I'm sorry you're still having issues but we need to get your 1Password 6 app fixed first because you cannot export any data without 1Password 6. The database is encrypted at rest and you need a functional program to decrypt the data before you can export. In addition, 1Password 6 does not support exporting changes from your 1Password.com account in a way that you can reimport them into older local vaults in 1Password 4 at the moment, you may end up with duplicates instead.

Please try this to fix 1Password 6:

1. If you've reinstalled 1Password 6, uninstall 1Password 6 via Control Panel > Remove Programs.
    2. Open Windows File Explorer and enter %LOCALAPPDATA% in the address bar.
    3. Rename the 1Password folder to Old-1Password and move it to your desktop
    4. Install the latest .NET framework from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344
    5. Reboot your computer
    6. Install the very latest copy of 1Password 6 from here.

Does that at least show you the welcome page in 1Password 6?

• newbietoo
    newbietoo
    Community Member
    Options

The V6 vault has the same data (updated) as the V4 vault. So wouldn't I just create a new V4 vault with the exported V6 data i.e duplicates wouldn't be an issue?

• Hi @newbietoo,

The problem is that the export in 1Password 6 won't include attachments and/or organization structures right now. You need 1PIF export format for that and right now, 1Password 6 doesn't support 1PIF. You can export via CSV/Text format into new vaults if you want but to have all of your data, it may be better to try importing them instead and you can create a backup in 1Password 4 before doing this, in case it doesn't work out.

Were you able to get 1Password 6 to work?

This discussion has been closed.