LastPass just went free for unlimited sync between devices

rochak
rochak
Community Member

Just thought of sharing https://blog.lastpass.com/2016/11/get-lastpass-everywhere-multi-device-access-is-now-free.html/

Interesting move by LastPass...

Though I love 1Password so don't think I will switch :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

Interesting but...

... I think I'm gonna stay. :)

• gaslade
    gaslade
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Caught my eye as well. I downloaded it and poke around at it ..... it doesn't look bad at all. Certainly worth spending some time considering. ..... Not sure that the pig in a barn reference above really means much.... UI looks good, functionality looks good. The only thing I think to be a little wary of is their business model and whether or not they will get enough paying premium customers to support their operation. If not I could see embedded ads in the freemium future :-)

I have my years 1Password subscription and am still going to make that option 1 for now .... but free is free.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

I just wanted to add that 1Password is the only password manager I know that has custom fields and this is a very important and by me the most used feature. And also Lastpass is less secure. Because they don't use something like an Account Key ;)

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

UI looks good

Personally I think the UI is ugly and I dislike the way it adds its icons to all login fields (and sometimes to other form fields too).

I did extensive testing last month both on LastPass and 1Password. 1Password was the winner for me (I went for a Families subscription).

I think @pervel is right, I too had been thinking something similar.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This may not mean much coming from me, given that I work for AgileBits, the makers of 1Password...but when I saw that, my first reaction was, "Wow!"

Then I saw that "ad-free vaults" is a premium feature, and I got a lot less excited. Don't get me wrong, it's going to get a lot of people to try a password manager who otherwise wouldn't. But man, I do not need any more ads in my life. This isn't a jab at any of our competitors. Like many companies offering a service at no charge, they have to get paid somehow too. I just really wish "free" actually meant "free" on the internet — or in life, I suppose.

I fell in love with 1Password long before I ever imagined I'd join AgileBits someday, and I'm happy to hear the kind words and good humour of everyone here in this discussion and in the community in general. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bernfrin: Ah, thank you for clarifying! I didn't see much in the way of a description. An ad is an ad, but that doesn't sound as bad. ;)

• fernandosanchez
    fernandosanchez
    Community Member

Hello.
    I've used both 1Password and Lastpass for quite a while (around 1 year both). Main difference I've noticed are:
    Lastpass:

• Uses Browser Extensions as main app, wich means you don't need to install an app to use it in Windows / Mac OS
    • Same options across all platforms: Big advantage over 1Password
    • Can add Photos / Voice recording directly from Mobile Apps: Great feature, and a must have feature these days
    • 33% lower price than 1Password
    • Able to configure a Two Factor Authentication

1Password:

• Great UI, at least if you are using Mac OS or Mobile Apps. Windows users have a crappy app, and its slow development will make it fully functional in about 2 years (based on how much it has improved since it was launched)
    • Add Custom fields: Awesome feature and Big advantage over Lastpass

I use Windows Computer at work, IOs device and a Mac at my home, and I've tested both products. Use 1Password as my main, and Lastpass basically when I need to take a picture and protect it.

@ntimo, Not entirely true that Lastpass is less secure, you can actually add a Two Factor Authentication wich 1Password lacks, but it will improve security only if you configure it. In my opinion, Account Key makes 1Password less secure because you need to have it saved with you in order to access your vault in a new device, and it is always same key.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@fernandosanchez: Excellent points and, I think, a fair summary. However, I did want to point out that 1Password Teams does support two-factor authentication, and the Account actually strengthens the security of your data because it's used to encrypt it. Certainly this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparison, but something about the Account Key which is often overlooked and differentiates it from traditional multifactor is that it cannot be intercepted (it's never transmitted). And any authorized device can be used to authorize a new one (since it provides easy access to the Account Key). Cheers! :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

something about the Account Key which is often overlooked and differentiates it from traditional multifactor is that it cannot be intercepted (it's never transmitted)

But a keylogger can still grab it, since you have to enter it (the first time). As it's static (no OTP) that might be a problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2016

@XIII: You're absolutely right...but remember that if there's a key logger on your system, they don't need your Master Password or Account Key... :naughty:

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I know. That's why I don't want to use 1Password on untrusted systems. However, I can image that there might be emergency scenario's where you need to access a single service on such a system away from home. Since the password for that service is stored in 1Password you have to log in into 1Password first. If there is a keylogger on that system it will now captures the keys to your kingdom (1Password vault) instead of only the credentials for that single service (for which I would change the password as soon as I would get home). I still believe an OTP for 1Password would help in this case.

Luckily I have several iOS devices with cellular connectivity (or Wi-Fi protected with VPN), so hopefully I will never get into this scenario.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

However, I can image that there might be emergency scenario's where you need to access a single service on such a system away from home. Since the password for that service is stored in 1Password you have to log in into 1Password first. If there is a keylogger on that system it will now captures the keys to your kingdom (1Password vault) instead of only the credentials for that single service (for which I would change the password as soon as I would get home). I still believe an OTP for 1Password would help in this case.
    Luckily I have several iOS devices with cellular connectivity (or Wi-Fi protected with VPN), so hopefully I will never get into this scenario.

@XIII: That's a fair point. And while I too sincerely hope that none of us is ever in a position where we have to weigh an emergency against our security, I'm confident saying that I'd prefer to take an uncertain security risk over ignoring a certain emergency.

This discussion has been closed.