Wife accessing her vault via browser extension

asehr
asehr
Community Member

Hi - I've been a long time 1password user myself. I recently convinced my wife to sign up as well and we created a Family account.

Now I have my Personal Vault and a shared vault with my wife. And my wife has created her own Personal vault as well.

My question is - how does my wife access her vault when she uses our computer. Currently the browser extension (and app) login using my master password. And therefore only have my vaults.

How can she utilise this when she's online? Does she simply input her own Master Password in the browser app when surfing?

thanks in advance.

a.

1Password Version: lateest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: latest OS X
Sync Type: family plan

Comments

• Hi @asehr! Thanks for using 1Password over the years. I'm glad you're jumping into 1Password Families. :)

My question is - how does my wife access her vault when she uses our computer. Currently the browser extension (and app) login using my master password. And therefore only have my vaults.

Are you sharing that computer? If so, the easiest way for her to access her vault there would be to create separate user accounts on the computer for each of you. Then you can sign in to your 1Password account on one, and hers on the other. Another option is to sign in from 1Password.com in the browser, and each of you could sign in if you used different browsers, or profiles in Google Chrome. I'd recommend the first option because you can both use the browser extension to save and fill passwords and other items.

If you aren't sharing that computer and have separate ones, you can each install 1Password on your computers and sign in to your accounts to access your passwords. Hope that helps!

• asehr
    asehr
    Community Member

Thanks Jacob. Yes, we share the computer.

We'll try different browser profiles. Switching between different user account on the computer would be tiresome.

You should give some thought to different profiles for 1password as well. :) Would be very useful for families.

• Jacob
    edited October 2016

@asehr Sounds good! Another option would be to use fast user switching, which makes switching users very easy. Your wife could even leave her user account on that computer without a password, since all her 1Password data is protected by her Master Password and that would be the only difference in users. Just an idea. :) We would love to do something with profiles in the future as well.

• @dahanbn I've responded to your thread directly.

My wife and I we use one Windows PC at home under the same Windows user account. Although we're using different browser profiles your mentioned solution isn't convenient enough. With different browser profiles you can't use any extension or more advanced features of 1Password. Windows user account switching is also very inconvenient.

That is one limitation, which is where having support for multiple profiles would come in handy. As I mentioned, I'm going to chat with the team about this and see what we can think up.

• At the moment I don't. While this is something we would like to add in the future, it's not a near-future addition. We recommend using separate user accounts on your computer for now. I'm sorry for the limitation. Hopefully we do have something better for you and your family down the road.

• joe6759
    joe6759
    Community Member

Wow, I came here to ask the same question. Very disappointing to see that it's not a near-future addition... especially for a product marketed towards families.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@joe6759: I'm sorry for the confusion! The 1Password app is not multi-user and isn't meant to be. Modern OSes have supported this for a long time, and their security model is built around this as well, so that's what we recommend: using separate user accounts. Not only does this ensure that if one is compromised by malware that it doesn't automatically affect an entire family, a lot of folks also enjoy having their own user account so they can set things up the way they want to, not have to fight over what's on the desktop, etc.

That said, we're considering ways we could give 1Password a sense of "personhood" for separate user profiles, but if you think about it there are a lot of security and usability challenges that entails. So it may be something we do down the road, only if it can be done well. You may think "What I am asking for is simple", but other users will have different needs — perhaps within your own family. So it's something that has to be considered carefully.

This discussion has been closed.