1 Password has recently begun quitting unexpectedly. My version of 1P is 3.8.22.

I use 1P on a mac. Actually have a new MBP and I believe I only noticed this after I got that new computer a couple of months ago. With the new MBP I began using the latest OS (10.11.6 El Capitan). I think the 1P icon (forget what that is called) that is just left of the web address bar, still works correctly. But when I got the the 1P application and open it, it will open but as soon as I open an entry to edit it, the application then quits. I also have 1P installed on my older iMac at home. It has older OS - I think 1P is working fine on it.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1 Password quit unexpectedly

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@todd4270: Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry for the confusion! 1Password 3 was developed in 2009 and supports OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. El Capitan in particular introduced a number of incompatibilities. You can read more details in the announcement at the top of this forum category:

1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

1Password 6, one the other hand, fully supports OS X Yosemite, El Capitan, and macOS Sierra. You'll have a better experience there, so you may want to consider upgrading. I hope this helps! :)

• todd4270
    todd4270
    Community Member

Thank you for the response and explanation. It's now very clear. I have just quickly looked on the website to see how I go about upgrading. And pricing appears to not be a purchase (as it was when I bought the software), but a subscription. If you could summarize how I accomplish the upgrade that would be helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

@todd4270: Sure! The simplest way is to start by installing the latest version of 1Password:

1Password downloads

It can read your existing data. Just open it, tell it where your vault is (if it doesn't find it automatically), and verify that you see everything you expect.

Next, follow this guide to sign up for a 1Password Account and transfer your data over:

Migrate to a 1Password Account

And be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• todd4270
    todd4270
    Community Member

Thank you again. So I did successfully download and install the upgrade to 1P 6!! And I went through the verification process to save a login and it worked. So then I uninstalled the 1P browser extension. Tried to install the new browser extension, it shows up (the key looking icon instead of 1P icon). But when I click on it I get a pop-up window saying " Looking for the 1Password app" and "Couldn't connect to 1Password" (see attached screenshot). So I guess I'm kind of hung up there. Can you help from that point? And also, I don't have to pay for the upgrade apparently. Is it like I am grandfathered in since I had originally purchased the software? And today if someone wants to get 1Password and they haven't owned it, then only the subscription is offered (and you don't have the option to buy it today), is that correct? And lastly, I now have both version 3 and 6 installed. So I'm sure I need to trash the version 3; guess I'll do that after I get the extension working correctly.

And I must say, 1Password is an amazing app......could'nt live without it!!! You guys have done and continue to do a great job developing and supporting it!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@todd4270: 1Password 6 is a paid upgrade from version 3, but all upgrades are included with the subscription. It sounds like you have the old 1Password extension installed in your browser though. When you open the main 1Password 6 app, do you see all of your data there? I want to make sure you do before we go deleting the old version.

• todd4270
    todd4270
    Community Member

Brent - thank you for getting back. I was working on this on Sunday (when you were helping me). I got to the point that I described (and where I had sent you screenshots) then had to move on and didn't do anything further. When I started my computer up the next morning, there was a screen that popped up with a 5 digit code (or close to that) and it had me enter the code. Then 1P 6 seemed to be good to go. I have not deleted version 3 yet. But I am confused about payment. I was never asked to provide payment in the process.......OK, I just checked the license and I see I'm in trial (says 28 days remaining).

So I will pickup with when time allows, and get back with you if help is needed or to confirm that I'm all set. I briefly compared data between v.3 and v.6 and it appears to be the same and complete (I have over 400 entries which plainly shows in v. 6, but the entry count isn't shown in v. 3 - maybe can find but it's just not as obvious). Once confirmed, do I simply delete v.3? And then I have to pay for the upgrade to v.6 before my trial expires. So I'll get back with you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@todd4270: Sorry for the confusion! I mentioned this in an earlier reply:

Next, follow this guide to sign up for a 1Password Account and transfer your data over:

Migrate to a 1Password Account

When you sign up for a 1Password Account you can add payment information to the account any time. It sounds like you haven't done that yet. Just let me know if you have any questions about the process.

It is safe to remove the version 3 app and browser extension. Your data is stored separately, 1Password 6 can read it, and since you're seeing it in 1Password 6 already, you're all set. My concern was that 1Password 6 might not have found your data, depending on where you'd saved it. But since it has already, you're in good shape.

This discussion has been closed.