Doesn't have folder option in 1password mac.

Polarose
Polarose
Community Member

dear staff
i read your instructions to use folders & tags.
however, i can not find a "new folder" option under "file" menu. i only have "new item" & "new password".
in the side bar, between "category" and "tag", also don't have "folder" to unhide or hide.

please help on how to use folder in mac app.

also, for the iOS app, when i am on team or family vault, i can't create folders.
the "+" sign is not showing on team/family vault.
but i can create folder with "+" sign on Main vault (local sync one).

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Polarose: I'm sorry for the confusion! While 1Password for Mac itself supports tags and folders, folders are not supported by 1Password Families/Teams, only "local" vaults created in the apps themselves.

• dfz
    dfz
    Community Member

I have a simple local 1Password for Mac and I don't see a folders item in the File menu either.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@dfz what version of 1Password for Mac are you using? I just created a Primary vault on mine (the latest stable release, 6.3) and when I hit File I have options for New Item, New Login, New Folder and New Smart Folder when I'm viewing that vault. (The options are not available in the All Vaults view.) Can you try viewing your Primary vault specifically and double-checking to see if the option's there?

• dfz
    dfz
    Community Member

I have v6.3. I was in all vaults view. Option is visible in Primay Vault view. Looks like the documentation needs updating. Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that explains it. Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that you were able to manage your folders by switching to a vault that supports them. They can't be used in All Vaults view because, as an item can only belong to one folder, a folder can only belong to a single vault. We'll try to make this clearer going forward. Thanks for your feedback on this! :)

• rororo
    rororo
    Community Member

I have the same problem. I have 1password6 and an 1password6 account for easy synchronization of all my devices. I have an 1Password account and only 1 vault under my account "Personal". I have no local vault. I cannot create a Folder in this one available vault. How can I fix this?

• @rororo Sorry for the confusion. With a 1Password account, tags are used instead of folders. So this isn't a problem, per se, rather how it was built. Tags can do most things folder can with the exception of nesting, and you can even add multiple tags to one item. :) Give it a try and let us know what you think.

This discussion has been closed.