Where is the license key stored?

Upon initial installation of 1Password for Windows 10, I input the license key. However, when I went to uninstall 1Password and reinstall it again (testing things out), I did not have to reenter my license key. Where is the license key stored? I would think it would be deleted after I uninstalled it from the computer, but that is not the case. I would like it to be if/when I go to reinstall 1Password, that no previous data, including the license, was still on the system. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• starchang
    starchang
    Community Member

I install 1p for my new laptop,but didnt need license.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

I install 1p for my new laptop,but didnt need license.

Based on my own experience, upon initial installation you should be required to input a license key to get out of demo mode. However it seems if you uninstall 1Password and install it again, the license key seems to be "remembered" somehow and is not required to be inputed anymore when you start 1Password for the first time. This is where my confusion is; where is the license key stored as it does not seem to be deleted after you uninstall 1Password. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@starchang: Please see my reply to your similar post here.

@ScarySulley: Sorry for the confusion there! 1Password 4 stores the license in a file:

%APPDATA%\AgileBits\OPW4.license

This makes it easy to deploy on machines in an automated fashion. I haven't done it in a while, but I used to enjoy unattended Windows installs. Anyway, I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

%APPDATA%\AgileBits\OPW4.license

This makes it easy to deploy on machines in an automated fashion. I haven't done it in a while, but I used to enjoy unattended Windows installs. Anyway, I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Thanks @brenty! that seems to have worked! Although for me the AgilbeBits folder was inside a folder called "roaming".

Other minor issue...

When I opened Chrome I got this small window pop-up saying

"1Password requires authorisation to work with Chrome

Click Authorise if the code below matches the one in your browser."

Then it provides a numeric code in the small window and in a new Chrome tab that it opened. Similar to this thread.

However on mine "Authorise" is misspelled, "s" should be a "z". And there was no period after the first sentence/paragraph.

I've never seen this before, so it caught my attention. The misspelling and lack of a period be a honest mistake by AgileBits, but I just want to be sure. Is this a new thing and is it safe to click "Cancel" or "Authorise"?

Thanks!

P.S. Well after reading that thread I linked to, I guess it is legit, but the typos and lack of a period did make me a bit suspicious. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

However on mine "Authorise" is misspelled, "s" should be a "z". And there was no period after the first sentence/paragraph. I've never seen this before, so it caught my attention. The misspelling and lack of a period be a honest mistake by AgileBits, but I just want to be sure. Is this a new thing and is it safe to click "Cancel" or "Authorise"?

@ScarySulley: Yes. :(

Sorry about that. We'll be fixing the text, but it will require a new release of the app.

For anyone you or anyone else curious, there's more information on the new mutual authentication used to secure the connection between 1Password and the browser extension in our knowledgebase:

1Password browser authorization

Thanks for keeping us honest and staying vigilant! :blush:

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Ok, thanks @brenty!

• Cheers, @ScarySulley!

Please never hesitate to reach out to us, especially if you have more feedback :)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

Got another somewhat off-topic question...

I was looking at the other thread @brenty was referring to above and I noticed he mentioned "1Password 6 desktop app." I have 1Password 4. What is the difference between the two? I'm assuming 1Password 4 isn't the latest version then?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

@ScarySulley: Good question! It's a bit confusing, admittedly.

We're building the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app from the ground up to be the future of 1Password...but unless you're using the subscription service, it isn't ready for you, as it doesn't yet support local vault. We'll be adding that in a future version though, so that one day it will be an easy answer for anyone wanting to use 1Password on a PC. We're working hard on it, but we're not there yet.

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

@brenty,

Thank you for the info! So the latest version for the non-subscription version of 1Password for Windows is version 4? What happened to version 5? ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the info! So the latest version for the non-subscription version of 1Password for Windows is version 4?

@ScarySulley: Yep! That's right. I'm starting to feel like I'm being interviewed... :tongue:

What happened to version 5?

This interview is over. :neutral:

Just kidding! For a number of reasons, version 5 was skipped. But my favourite is that it is much easier to answer "1Password 6 or higher" any time someone asks "Which version do I need for my 1Password Account?" regardless of the platform. Cheers! ;)

• ScarySulley
    ScarySulley
    Community Member

@brenty,

Thank you for the info! It reminds me of how Microsoft skipped Windows 9. :)

• @ScarySulley HA! Nothing this funny. It gave me good chuckles when I read why Microsoft skipped 9 at the time Windows 10 was announced to the public.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Alex, everyone knows 7 ate 9. :ohnoes:

This discussion has been closed.