1Password 6 - logins missing after upgrade

gardinerdesign
gardinerdesign
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

All my logins are missing after recent upgrade from 1Password 5 to 1Password 6 and first time sync with iCloud - I've since restored Backup from Primary Vault. Any advise as to why syncing Primary vault with iCloud lost the logins? - thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: masOS Sierra 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gardinerdesign,

I'm sorry you ran into a problem after upgrading to 1Password 6! That's a really strange problem because sync happens at the vault level - there aren't any options to sync only certain item categories. What exactly did you see when you selected the 'Logins' category from the left sidebar in the main 1Password 6 app?

All my logins are missing after recent upgrade from 1Password 5 to 1Password 6...

What exact steps did you take to install version 6? If you had already been using 1Password 5 on that Mac, installing the upgrade works just like other updates (like updating from 1Password 5.4.2 to 5.4.3, or from 6.3.4 to 6.3.5, and so on), and it reads the same data from the same location as before. Are you using the Mac App Store version or the AgileBits Store version of 1Password?

...and first time sync with iCloud

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "first time". Do you mean you hadn't previously been syncing 1Password with iCloud before upgrading to version 6? If you were using a different sync option before, and then switched to iCloud in 1Password 6, did your Login items disappear only after enabling the sync with iCloud?

Which sync option were you using in 1Password 5? That same sync option should still have been enabled after updating to 1Password 6.

I've since restored Backup from Primary Vault.

I'm glad you were able to restore everything from a backup! Once we hear back from you about the above details, I'm hoping we'll have a better idea about what could have happened. Thanks in advance! :)

• gardinerdesign
    gardinerdesign
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG, many thanks for your reply.

Do you mean you hadn't previously been syncing 1Password with iCloud before upgrading to version 6? - Yes.

If you were using a different sync option before, and then switched to iCloud in 1Password 6, did your Login items disappear only after enabling the sync with iCloud? - Yes.

Which sync option were you using in 1Password 5? - I was running 1Password5 on both iMac and MacBook Pro. The Preferences > Sync settings on both was set to 'None'. I only activated iCloud sync in the drop down menu on both after undating to 1Password6 and that was when all the logins disappeared.

As mentioned in my earlier message have restored logins from backup and both are now set Primary Sync back to 'None' - attached screen grab.

They are again not syncing with each other with MBP at 149 logins and iMac at 170 logins?!!

The sync options are iCloud/Dropbox and Folder.

Your advise as to how to how best sync both machines would be really appreciated.

Andrew

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @gardinerdesign!

Out of curiosity, when you say that all the 'logins' in 1Password disappeared, do you perhaps mean all the 'items' in 1Password disappeared? Or maybe you only have Login items in 1Password, and haven't created items in other categories? Logins are just one of the item categories in 1Password, so when you originally said all your logins disappeared, I thought you meant items in other categories were still there, but now it sounds like I may have misunderstood. (That won't make a difference as far as the solution to this problem, but I was just curious.)

As mentioned in my earlier message have restored logins from backup and both are now set Primary Sync back to 'None'

This is because you restored your data from a backup - when you do that, the sync settings are disabled.

Before you re-enable sync with iCloud again, you should reset the current 1Password sync data in iCloud in case it's causing a problem. Just follow these steps:

• On one of your Macs (either one is fine), open 1Password and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    • Confirm you want to reset it by clicking "Yes, Remove Remote Data".
    • After a moment you should see a message that confirms the data was reset (click OK).
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, then click the Sync tab.
    • Change the sync setting for your Primary vault from None to iCloud.
    • If a sign-in page opens on Apple.com, sign in using your Apple ID.
    • Click Start Syncing (the initial sync may take a few minutes - make sure you allow it to complete).

Once the sync is complete, you can enable iCloud in 1Password on your other Mac as well. You should see a message about merging the vaults. Once you've done all that and the sync completes, you should have all your items on both Macs. Please let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• gardinerdesign
    gardinerdesign
    Community Member

Thanks Drew_AG

To answer you curiosity I only use 1Password for logins and don't have other categories.

I've since followed your recommended steps on iMac to reset sync to iCloud. I then set MacBook Pro to iCloud and let sync complete.

iMac has 170 logins
    MBP has 149 logins after sync?

Thanks again Drew

Andrew

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gardinerdesign,

I've since followed your recommended steps on iMac to reset sync to iCloud. I then set MacBook Pro to iCloud and let sync complete.

If you enabled iCloud in 1Password on both Macs but they aren't syncing with each other, one possibility is that they are syncing with different Apple IDs / iCloud accounts. If you're using the Mac App Store version of 1Password on your Macs, please check to make sure you're using the same iCloud account on both:

• Open the System Preferences app and select iCloud.
    • On the left side of the window, above the 'Account Details' button, check the email address.
    • Remember to check that setting on both Macs.

Your Apple ID (email address) needs to be exactly the same there on both of your Macs.

On the other hand, if you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password, you'll be asked to sign into your Apple ID from a website that opens when you enable iCloud in 1Password. In that case, just make sure you sign into the same Apple ID on each one.

Does that help at all?

• gardinerdesign
    gardinerdesign
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG

I'm using the AgileBits version of 1 Password (v6.3.5 (635001) as I get update notification in app.

I reset Primary Sync to ;None' on both machines. I then Sync both with iCloud and signed into with Apple ID in separate window. Ensuring both were using the exact same Apple ID.

iMac - 247 logins.
    MBP - 247 logins.

I'm happy with this. Some are duplicates but I can manually remove those on one and let sync update the other.

Thanks again Drew, your support has been nmuch appreciated.

Best

Andrew

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! That's great news, @gardinerdesign. I don't know why they weren't syncing correctly before, but I'm glad they are now. Thanks for following up to let us know how it all worked out.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, we're here for you. Cheers! :)

• gardinerdesign
    gardinerdesign
    Community Member

Thanks @Drew_AG I've removed the duplicates and both are now sync'd at 197... bliss. Great app keep up the good work. Thanks again A

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.