Unclear how to register 1Password..?

Options

Hello,

I was using 1Password 4 for a while in trial mode, which eventually expired. I understand there is the option to purchase a standalone license, or to subscribe.

I ended up subscribing because it wasn't clear whether purchasing a standalone license would entitle me to upgrades in the future (you should put this information somewhere users can find it), but subscribing doesn't seem to have given me a license key to use for the application?

I ended up uinstalling 4 and using 1Password 6, but that version gave me a ton of trouble (could not create new items for some reason, would not auto-submit credentials, failed to recognize login pages, etc.) so I went back to 1Password 4.

So here I am again. What should I do? Should I just purchase a standalone license? Is there a hidden license key somewhere? Should I just give up and go with Lastpass instead?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

If you buy a licence, it will allow you to use version 6.x on Mac (and a Windows version) for ever. There could be an upgrade fee to move to version 7. My guess (and it is only a guess, based on what happened in the past) is that there will e an upgrade fee of around half the full purchase fee.

If you go for a subscription, you get version on all platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android) for ever.

I would suggest that you use the subscription version and post more about your problems, so that they can be solved. But it's your choice.

• davande
    davande
    Community Member
    Options

To clarify: The only registration option for 1Password 4 is the standalone license?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @davande, sorry for the confusion here! It seems like the differences between a 1Password subscription and license are a little unclear, but I'll do my best to help clear things up. First, I want to go over some of the specific issues you're facing, then I'll can go into a bit more detail about what a 1Password subscription is, and how it compares to a standalone license.

I ended up uinstalling 4 and using 1Password 6, but that version gave me a ton of trouble (could not create new items for some reason, would not auto-submit credentials, failed to recognize login pages, etc.) so I went back to 1Password 4.

could not create new items for some reason

Did you sign into your 1Password account on 1Password 6? At the moment, 1Password 6 is only capable of adding/editing data stored in your 1Password account, so you must sign into your 1Password account through 1Password 6. You can follow this guide to help get you started

would not auto-submit credentials

What browser were you using when you saw this issue? In 1Password 6, if you go to "Settings > Browser" and under "Page Filling", do you have the option "automatically sign in after submitting usernames or passwords" enabled?

Also, was auto-submit failing for all your logins, or did you only experience it on specific websites?

Is there a hidden license key somewhere?

You can think of your 1Password account login credentials as your license key! As long as your 1Password account is in an active state, you'll be able to use all the 1Password apps that support 1Password accounts.

failed to recognize login pages

Can you tell me a little more about this issue. Was this a problem with filling your usernames and passwords, or adding new logins to 1Password?

To clarify: The only registration option for 1Password 4 is the standalone license?

Yes.

Now I'll go into some of the differences between a subscription and a standalone license:

If you have a 1Password subscription:

All app updates (including major upgrades) are included. No matter which plan you choose, you'll get the latest versions of all the 1Password apps:

• Access your data even when you're offline.
    • Pro features are included on mobile devices.
    • Future upgrades are included for free.
    • Share and sync without a third-party sync service. With a 1Password account, there's no complicated sync setup. Simply sign in to your account on a new device, and you're ready to go.
    • Restore previous versions of items. If you accidentally changed or deleted an item, you can restore it.
    • Back up your data without lifting a finger. If your device is lost or damaged, sign in to your account on a new device. All your passwords and items will be there.
    • View and edit your data on 1Password.com. You’ll also have online access to your data even if you're away from your main devices.
    • Brand new multi-factor security model. The security of your 1Password accounts is fortified by an Account Key. The Master Password alone is not enough to decrypt your data.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can view and export your data.
      You can invite people to your account at any time, and upgrade it to a family or team plan. Share with your spouse at home or teammates at work. If you have a family or team plan:

• New vaults automatically show up for family and team members. When you add people to a new vault, they don’t need to do anything to begin using it right away.

• Set permissions for each person on each vault. Some people only need read-only access to a vault, for example.
    • Help family or team members if they forget their Master Passwords. We've always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family and team members.
    • What about standalone licenses?
    • We think the above benefits are pretty substantial. However, some folks prefer to purchase a standalone license. We totally get that. We continue to sell the 1Password apps without a subscription plan. We're even updating them with features and fixes that everyone benefits from — with or without a 1Password account.

If you purchase a 1Password standalone license instead of a subscription:

• Get updates for the version your purchased. For example, if you buy now, you’ll get all updates to 1Password 6 for Mac. Future versions might be a paid upgrade.
    • Pro features available on mobile devices as a separate purchase. Learn more about the Pro features on iOS and Android.
    • Sync your data yourself. You're in control of your own data. If you don't want a subscription, you can still sync without even using a cloud service like Dropbox or iCloud. No data leaves your own local network if you use the WLAN server to sync. Learn more about the different sync options.
      Regardless of which option you choose, you’ll get the same helpful, one-on-one support from us.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I was unclear about anything.

• davande
    davande
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for the response. With regard to this:

At the moment, 1Password 6 is only capable of adding/editing data stored in your 1Password account

Does this mean that if I only want to store my passwords locally or sync using Dropbox or my own sync solution that 1Password 6 basically will not work for me because i will not be able to use it to add or edit any of the credentials?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @davande,

Does this mean that if I only want to store my passwords locally or sync using Dropbox or my own sync solution that 1Password 6 basically will not work for me because i will not be able to use it to add or edit any of the credentials?

For the time being, yes. But adding full support for Dropbox and local vaults is a priority for us, and something we plan on adding to 1Password 6 soon.

• davande
    davande
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response.

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure @davande! Please let me know if there's anything that's still unclear.

This discussion has been closed.