1password 4.6 browser extension (Chrome, Firefox, Vivaldi) not immediately responding

Options

Hi,

I have been using 1password for a few years now on my private Mac with no issues what so ever.
At work I have a Windows computer that has the same problem since months, with all the browsers. I had a Windows 8 operating system and recently upgraded to Windows 10 in hopes the issue would disappear... Well it's still there and now it annoys me so much that I decided to come here for help:

When I want to use the extension to log in, I click on the extension icon and nothing happens even if I click multiple times. After what ALWAYS feels like 15 or 20 seconds the window suddenly pops up.

I extracted the log files immediately after I had the issue and I could observe what I was experiencing.
I did look at the clock of my computer and at 17:13:20 precise, I clicked on the extension. You can see that exactely 15 seconds later, the actual "showPopup" action happens

• 17:13:20 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: FIN: 1; RSV1: 0; RSV2: 0; RSV3: 0; Opcode: 1
  • 17:13:20 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Hybi-10 Frame Length: 274. Masked: 1.
  • 17:13:35 [ INFO] T1pAgent4: <--- Chrome: [showPopup]: {"action":"showPopup","number":36,"version":"4","bundleId":null,"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"pCn2FmOYZtde7mWkXGuOuQ","data":"oZBsxOPebgePsiCxYRmpdjdyVFXJNzqubh1GSNhy8FuGEeqihBY5bh2eeW0mGTTHZzlMykwLHWRR5mh3Xioh9UH-U0QdvZMOXYzdyUMbuu0","hmac":"nrJhN2AR2VQXtjCO"}}
  • 17:13:35 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Pause connection with 127.0.0.1:58920
  • 17:13:35 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Pause connection with 127.0.0.1:52907
  • 17:13:35 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Resume connection with 127.0.0.1:58920
  • 17:13:35 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Resume connection with 127.0.0.1:52907

This behavior happens randomly, or mostly after not using the extension for a while. But I have also observed that the issue appeared right after another action I took with the extension.

I did go through the forum and discussion already a few times. But to no avail... nothing helps.

Please help

Kind regards,
Michel

1Password Version: 4.6.1.616
Extension Version: 4.6.1.90 (chrome) / 4.6.1 (firefox)
OS Version: Windows 10 (6.2.9200)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @iVirusYx,

Thanks for writing in, this certainly isn't a known issue.

First, don't click too many times, we do suppress multiple-click events to avoid bringing up 1Password Helper in a loop until the last click is processed.

A few questions:

1. What vault format are you using, AgileKeychain or OPVault?
    2. Can you tell us what anti-malware solution you're using?
    3. Have you ever tried just creating a new vault in 1Password 4 with one item and see if it shows up right away?
  • iVirusYx
    iVirusYx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

1. I have an AgileKeychain. should I try to migrate? Which one is better? What are the differences?
    2. We're using McAfee as only soultion
    3. No, I haven't. I'll try, combining it with point 1, should I try another AgileKeychain or OPVault?

Thank you,
    Kind regards

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iVirusYx: OPVault has more forward-looking encryption, but AgileKeychain is more compatible and performs better. But I think it might be worth trying to migrate to OPVault to see if that makes a difference for you. Protip: you can actually copy and paste data between vaults if you just want to try it quickly; however, this will not work for attachments.

That said, OPVault definitely has higher performance requirements, and running a 3rd party security suite can certainly be a drain on resources as well. A final consideration is the amount of data 1Password has to load for the extension. If you have more than a few hundred items, it can make a real difference. I hope this helps!

• iVirusYx
    iVirusYx
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have created a new OPVault and then migrated my 125 items.
    It definitely feels faster when using the extension, however the issue is still there.

Always 15 seconds after a click on the extension until the "showPopup" action is executed:

• 11:12:52 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: FIN: 1; RSV1: 0; RSV2: 0; RSV3: 0; Opcode: 1
    • 11:12:52 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Hybi-10 Frame Length: 294. Masked: 1.
    • 11:13:07 [ INFO] T1pAgent4: <--- Chrome: [showPopup]: {"action":"showPopup","number":5,"version":"4","bundleId":null,"payload":{"alg":"aead-cbchmac-256","iv":"rM7iBNmcbnS5029nu98A_w","data":"nQxipiXpjbG0lHpI71yesDsr4iHD2PRYnwOcj4ezjmGbIhcrKS2VUcWMzvaL7hqHtXOVnGGcMGmk-BDeB_MVN1Rd4ArLEw-cJj6nKtQWaKdrrd7n9DObaCR1wnyhB6jP","hmac":"5XgEIb0CjW-ynICi"}}
    • 11:13:07 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Pause connection with 127.0.0.1:53253
    • 11:13:07 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Resume connection with 127.0.0.1:53253
    • 11:13:11 [ INFO] TWebSocketConnection: Resume connection with 127.0.0.1:53253

I really have no clue what is provoking this issue...
    Is it possible that another extension interferes with the 1password extension?
    The only thing in common I have in all the browsers is uBlock Origin

• I'm not sure if this is possible since you're working on a corporate machine but I would like you to try and disable the network connection temporarily.
    My theory is that McAfee is rerouting the connection attempt through the company anti-malware software servers and thus slowing it down.

I remember having heard of this type of slow-down before but it was never consistent.

• iVirusYx
    iVirusYx
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, I will try it.

Meanwhile I have ruled out uBlock Origin. I did removed it from Firefox, but the issue is still present.

• Hi @iVirusYx,

uBlock wouldn't cause this type of slowdown issue, it would just block it outright or let it through.

To quickly rule out extensions, you could create a separate Firefox profile and test it there. If it still has that 15+ second delay, it's not a Firefox issue. You can see how to do this here, remember to create a separate profile and not delete the original profile.

This discussion has been closed.