To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Delete desktop application after opening account?

DavidB
DavidB
Community Member

I have been using 1Password 6.5 Beta (AgileBits Beta) with OS X 10.11.6.

Today I signed up for an individual account free trial, which I am almost certain to convert later to the paid version.

My previous desktop application is still installed on my computer. Is there any harm in leaving it for the time being or should I uninstall it?

If for some reason I wanted to revert to it later, would there be any problem in doing so?

Thank you,

David

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The account can be used by a web browser or the desktop application. On the whole I think the application (with its associated browser extension) is more useful than going with a browser most of the time.

So keep the application, though you may want to move to the current released version rather than a beta. That depends on how you feel about betas.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DavidB: There's no need to make changes to the app to use a 1Password Account. You'll use the same 1Password app either way. If you'd like to get off of the beta channel though, just disable that option in 1Password Preferences > Updates and you'll only be offered new stable releases. However, it really isn't worth it at this point to go to any trouble to revert to an older stable release. 6.5 is imminent, so you'll have a stable version nearly identical to that shortly anyway. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

@danco and @brenty,

Thank you for the explanations--now I get it.

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

Another question:

I now see I have a Primary and Personal Vault. The Personal one is on my MacBook Pro and iPhone, and syncs between them. The Primary one is only on my MacBook Pro.

Is there a reason to have both?

David

• @DavidB On behalf of Brenty and Danco, you're welcome. To answer your question, the Primary vault isn't necessary once you have moved your existing data to your account. If you have, you can delete it by switching to it, then choosing 1Password -> Delete Vault. Hope that helps.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

@Jacob,

Thank you for the explanation. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in keeping the Primary vault?

David

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DavidB: If you have data in the Primary vault, you probably won't want to remove it until you move it to your Personal vault. The disadvantage to having a Primary vault when you're using a 1Password Account is that any data stored there can't be part of it. It will need to be sync'd separately, and cannot be accessed through 1Password.com. So in that sense it can also be confusing. The Primary vault is a local vault though, so if you specifically want to have some data which is separate from your 1Password Account and stored only on your device, you could keep it around for that purpose. I hope this helps! :)

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

@brenty,

Sounds great--from your explanation I now understand that I moved all my data into my Personal vault when I created my 1Password Account, so I'll delete the Primary one.

David

• Sounds good @DavidB. :) Let us know if you have some other questions down the road.

This discussion has been closed.