Leaving beta....conflicting advice from Agilebits?

mikeboremikebore Junior Member

This link
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/52376/i-want-to-leave-beta-program-and-revert-back-to-normal-version

gives instructions for leaving the beta program.

I have seen another thread (which I can't find at the moment) saying that the correct way is to uncheck the beta option in check for updates and wait for the next release version, continuing with the betas until this happens. The thread said that the betas may change the state of ones data such that it would not be compatible with the current production version.

I am using the Agilebits Store version with iCloud syncing.

Thanks for clarifying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @mikebore,

Sorry to hear you'll be leaving betas for stable releases.

The discussion you linked to is going on a year old, created before this note was added to Using 1Password betas:

IMPORTANT
    Before you switch over to a beta build, remember that you will not be able to return to the stable version until the next update for the stable version is released.

One reason for this is when the database schema has been versioned with a beta build, causing incompatibility with older releases and triggering this alert if attempting to use one:

I have seen another thread (which I can't find at the moment) saying that the correct way is to uncheck the beta option in check for updates and wait for the next release version, continuing with the betas until this happens.

That's what we currently recommend.

The thread said that the betas may change the state of ones data such that it would not be compatible with the current production version.

Yep, like mentioned above.

Thank you for being a long time and supportive beta tester. You're always welcome to return again from a future stable release. :)

• mikeboremikebore Junior Member

Thanks very much for quick reply....perhaps it would be a good idea to take down the link I posted, which is what I found by searching for "leaving beta"?

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member
    edited October 2016

You're welcome, Mike.

perhaps it would be a good idea to take down the link I posted, which is what I found by searching for "leaving beta"?

I agree and it's been removed; thanks for the suggestion! :+1:

And I'll see about adding "Returning to the stable version of the app" details to the support article, in the same spirit as Returning to the stable version of the extension. :)

ref: akb-645

One small detail I had misunderstood, perhaps foolishly. I was under the impression, as I said in my first post, that the correct sequence was to turn off beta updates first, and that because I was on a beta, it would automagically carry on giving me betas until the next full release.

I find this is not the case, so I have to wait to turn off beta updates until after the next release.

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Good catch, Mike! Appreciate you recovering from the lapse in logic about this before I did. :)

edited November 2016

As above, for the last few weeks I have left "check for betas" enabled, waiting for the full release of 6.5. I am currently on 6.5 beta35.
    Today I was notified that a new beta was available and fortunately I just spotted before installing that it was 6.5.1 beta3.
    Seems like getting off beta programme is not quite as straightforward as turning off after next full release if the beta for the next version starts before full release of the previous version.
    I have now turned off "check for betas" and staying on 6.5 beta 35.
    As far as I can tell 6.5 has not been released yet.

When 6.5 is released will "check for updates" pick it up from 6.5 beta 35?
    Thanks

• ag_kevinag_kevin Junior Member

Team Member

Hi @mikebore ,

Yes, it will pick up the next release version and not the beta. Sorry for all of the confusion.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.