New passwords not autofilling

I have recently changed the passwords on several of my financial sites. On some, the new password fills in properly when I hit the command backslash shortcut. On others, however, to include USAA, the shortcut is evidently filling in the old password and the site will not accept it. If I then boot up the 1Password program and manually copy/paste the user name and password from 1Password to USAA, it works perfectly. Hence, I know the data saved in 1Password is correct. How do I fix this? Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:New passwords not auto-filling

Comments

• bobio01
    bobio01
    Community Member

I have recently changed the passwords on several of my financial sites. On some, the new password fills in properly when I hit the command backslash shortcut. On others, however, to include USAA, the shortcut is evidently filling in the old password and the site will not accept it. If I then boot up the 1Password program and manually copy/paste the user name and password from 1Password to USAA, it works perfectly. Hence, I know the data saved in 1Password is correct. How do I fix this? Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bobio01: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the trouble! Did you maybe update the record in 1Password by hand? I wonder if 1Password has the old password saved under "web form details", and is filling the information based on what you saved using the browser extension as a result. Let me know the exact steps you've taken to change the password, and that should help us figure out what's going on. Thanks in advance!

• bobio01
    bobio01
    Community Member

Thanks. I just checked the web form details, and the password there is exactly the same as in the "password" block of 1Password. This password will work fine if I manually copy it from 1 Password and then paste it into the bank's website, but will not work when the shortcut for the browser extension is used. When I go that route the bak returns the message that either the user name or password is incorrect. The username has not been changed, and it fills correctly. To change the password I first went to the bank's website, signed into my account, and chose the option to change password. When that block came up I then went to the 1PW extension at the top of my browser and chose the generate password option. From there I copied the new password, and then copied it into both 1PW and my bank's new password block. The only thing that is not working is the shortcut to fill in the password. I used the same system for several other password changes, and they all work fine. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bobio01,

How long is your password? I see from the site that they stipulate a maximum length of 12 characters. When you copy and paste the page is likely truncating the password while when 1Password fills it doesn't generate the same reaction. To see if there is anything to the theory can you try creating a new Login item please using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser. I suspect you will find the new Login item will only show the first 12 characters of the password stored in the non-working Login item.

• bobio01
    bobio01
    Community Member

Thank you! That did the trick. The only stipulation I found on the site's password was that it must be at least 8 characters long, but not a maximum. The change worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! Oddly enough, sometimes sites will have different requirements depending on the page... :dizzy:

It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

• mnadig
    mnadig
    Community Member

This just bit me, thanks for having the answer all ready for me.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

That's great, @mnadig! Glad this thread was helpful!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits
    Fort Worth, Texas

This discussion has been closed.