Is there an easy way to tell if my Internet connected devices are secure after the October incident?

crazyninjamaster
crazyninjamaster
Community Member

I use secure passwords for all of my accounts and devices. The hack that brought widespread outages to the internet last month by utilizing various internet connected devices was talked about a lot. I was wondering if there is an easy way to tell if my devices our secure since I use password managers and change passwords often. I haven't seen a place online to easily check without logging my devices in a database that I didn't understand. I figured this might be a good place to ask. Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 6.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Is there an easy way to tell if my "Internet of Things" devices are secure?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@crazyninjamaster probably the two most important things you can do are to ensure that every device which is connected to the Net:

1. uses a strong administrator password and most certainly not the default password that came with the device;
    2. is behind your router's firewall.

Stephen

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

The most important thing is to make sure that your router's firewall is set up and working properly. Try using the old ShieldsUP! to test your firewall for vulnerabilities.

I also strongly recommend disabling UPnP on your router.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@crazyninjamaster: There really doesn't seem to be an easy way to check all of your devices, and frankly I'd be wary of entering data into an unknown site, since someone malicious could easily setup a website like this to get consumers to volunteer their devices for the next bot army. That said, Shields Up is a great resource for checking for open router ports.

I've heard reports from a number of sources that the attacks can be traced to IoT devices using certain chipsets, but haven't been able to find specific information. Given that, the advice above from pervel and Stephen_C apply. Make sure you're not using a default password — either on individual devices themselves or your router — and be sure to keep all of your devices up to date. Unfortunately this las bit is important but less effective when companies manufacture "throw away" devices that are not supported with security updates. :(

This discussion has been closed.