1Password is not prompting to save login [not yet supported in Windows desktop beta]

Options
vicc
vicc
Community Member
edited July 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password is not prompting to save any logins after I have installed the Chrome extension. Furthermore, everytime I login I have to put in the Master Key. I thought you only had to enter that once on a device. Under authorized devices in My Profile, I see 3 different Chrome browsers. What is going on here??

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vicc,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble using the 1Password extension in Chrome! I'm sure we can figure out what's going on one way or another.

From your description, it sounds like you have a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account, is that correct? If so, have you installed the 1Password app on your computer? The 1Password browser extension works by connecting to the 1Password app on Mac or Windows - it doesn't connect to your account on 1Password.com.

1Password is not prompting to save any logins after I have installed the Chrome extension.

If the problem was that you didn't have the 1Password app installed, does the extension work after you install the app and set it up by signing into your account?

If you have the app installed and set up but the extension in Chrome isn't working, what happens when you click on the 1Password extension button in Chrome's toolbar?

Furthermore, everytime I login I have to put in the Master Key.

Are you referring to signing into your account on the 1Password.com website? Or do you mean you need to unlock the 1Password app or extension every time you open them?

The website will ask you to sign in by entering your master password each time your session times out. But the main 1Password app/extension can be configured to ask for your master password less often. From the main 1Password app, open the Preferences and find the Security / Auto-lock settings. You can change those settings so the 1Password app/extension stays unlocked for a longer period of time.

I thought you only had to enter that once on a device.

You might be thinking of the Account Key. The Account Key is required the first time you sign into your account from the 1Password app on a new computer, device, or web browser. But you'll need to enter your master password each time you need to sign into 1Password.com or unlock the 1Password app/extension.

Under authorized devices in My Profile, I see 3 different Chrome browsers.

Have you needed to use your Account Key to sign into your account more than once in Chrome? That might be necessary for a few reasons, like if you have multiple profiles set up in Chrome and sign into your account on 1Password.com from each one.

You can remove the extra instances of Chrome from there by clicking the 'X' button next to the extras. It should let you deauthorize two of them, and the third should tell you that you can't deauthorize it because it's the browser you're currently using.

Does that help? Sorry for any confusion. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have more questions about that. Thanks! :)

• vicc
    vicc
    Community Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hello @Drew_AG , I have the app on Windows. It was the 1Password 6 beta which doesn't appear to be working. And I was referring to it asking my for my account key every time I logged in. To be clear, every time I logged into the 1Password either the app locally on my machine, or the browser, it would ask me for the account key. I unistalled the beta and installed the version of 1Password in the Windows store version 6.0.161u. This does not appear to ask me for my account key every time I login but the browser does. I do not have multiple profiles setup in chrome at least I don't believe so. When I click the browser extension, it can't find the helper and yes I am signed into the app locally when I click it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@vicc: Sorry for the confusion there! It's good to at least know you're on Windows. Thanks for letting us know! The 1Password for Windows version 6 beta does not yet have an autosave feature, but it's something we'll be adding in time.

Definitely don't use the Universal version from the Windows Store, as that is not as current as the desktop version and does not have browser integration yet. That's why you're getting the message in the browser. Please use this instead:

1Password 6 desktop beta

Regarding your frequent Account Key entry, this is saved securely in the browser's local storage (unless you use the "public computer" option), so if you're clearing settings between sessions you'll need to login from scratch each time. And then when you login each time, you'll have a new authorization in the web interface. So make sure you (and no other apps/extensions) are not clearing this data and you'll be able to login using only your Master Password next time. Cheers! :)

• mohit01
    mohit01
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on this issue? Is it fixed recently?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mohit01: Yep! Autosave was added to the new 1Password 6 Windows desktop app prior to the first stable release. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.