Legacy (v3) Safari extension not recognizing password

Comments

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Might someone be able to advise me on problem I'm having when using Safari, please? I am getting the "your master password has changed. Please unlock the extension using the old master password to update" messages. I have not changed my master password. I've seen other posts about this issue generally but can't find anything specific to my situation:

I am using Safari v6.2.8; Mac OS 10.8.5; 1Password v3.8.22 (build 32010); and extension v3.9.20.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Bill

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: First of all, I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion from that old one, which involved Firefox instead.

I'm sorry that you're having this issue, and I'm glad you reached out! It sounds like the extension may simply be damaged — or Safari's extension database itself. But before we do anything, can you verify that all of your data is in the main 1Password app? This is likely the case, since without being able to unlock the extension you won't be able to save new logins there, but I want to be certain that you don't lose any data.

If you're sure that all of your data is safe within 1Password, go to Safari Preference > Extensions and remove 1Password there. Then restart your Mac and install a fresh copy of the v3 1Password extension from our legacy update site.

However, you may want to consider upgrading. Newer releases of 1Password are a paid upgrade from version 3, as they have support for modern browser and OS releases. 1Password 3 was discontinued years ago and won't be receiving further updates. But, more significantly, using an old OS and browser release leaves you vulnerable since they haven't received updates, including security fixes, for years. And since El Capitan (and, in many cases, Sierra) is a free update for any Macs that can run Mountain Lion, there won't be a cost involved in taking advantage of security improvements — both the OS itself along with Safari. Just something to consider.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: I've also merged your separate post here so we can continue with a single conversation. Cheers! :)

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

First, my apologies for posting yet another copy of my question a few minutes ago. I'm new to the forum and hadn't thought there had been any response to my previous question. Thanks for getting back to me!

Can you explain exactly what you mean by asking me to confirm all of my data is safe within 1Password? I'm not sure how to do that. I too want to be absolutely certain I don't lose data. I've been using 1Password for a number of years and have not only login and account info there but lots of important encrypted documents. Besides the normal backups on my computer I am backed up to Dropbox and I have backups of my computer on both Time Machine and Super Duper. 1Password appears to be functioning just fine. Is all of this sufficient info to confirm that all of my data "is in the main 1Password app?" (In case it helps knowing, I should point out that I have never yet used 1Password to generate passwords but only to store the various ones I have so I have no generated passwords in 1Password, in case that's your specific concern. The reason I am going through this whole exercise is to start using 1Password to generate passwords given all the hacks going on out there.)

Over the past few days I have tried removing and re-loading the Safari extension. It didn't change anything. I can try again if you'd suggest. I also had installed in Safari a 1Password extension for v4 that I had later realized was improper and had only disabled it in Safari. Thinking that might be contributing to the problem, yesterday I removed it but still got the error message. Perhaps at this point a whole de-install and re-install of the V3 1Password extension might still be worth doing, assuming my data is safe in 1Password?

But before going there...here is my bind in terms of updating. I am using a 2007 2.4 GHz Macbook Pro with 4G RAM that still runs great but I don't believe I can go beyond Mavericks. It's no longer available over iTunes but I am told I can get it installed at the Genius Bar. If I were confident I was properly backed up I could get the upgrade and would then be happy to upgrade to the most appropriate version of 1Password. If this seems like it's a better overall direction perhaps I should do this rather than play around with the v3 Safari extension, etc.? Of course I've learned that the v3 Firefox extension doesn't work with more recent versions of that browser...so I do of course realize I'm getting painted into a corner with my old laptop. :-) But other than wanting to integrate 1Password's password-generating features I experience no other limitations with this old Macbook Pro of mine...

Thanks in advance for your advice, Brenty!
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: No need to apologize, Bill! Just wanted to make sure we didn't end up confusing each other more here. I'm happy to help. :)

Regarding checking your data, I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't something "trapped" in the browser extension that you could not access...but if you've already removed the extension from Safari while troubleshooting this, that's a moot point and we don't need to worry about it.

I really think that upgrading to a (more) current OS, browser, and 1Password release will be the best thing, for a few reasons: Apple has made a lot of security improvements to macOS, and browser vendors have done the same. Neither support what you're running currently, and when we're talking about staying safe online, that's really the foundation we need to start with. Additionally, we've made a lot of improvements to 1Password's browser integration in later versions, and you'll also get compatibility with the newer browsers and OSes as well.

We're happy to help in any way that we can even if you stick with 1Password 3, but the software itself is "frozen in time" and won't see further improvements. And while I will caution you that this isn't a permanent solution since Apple will stop supporting El Capitan as well, likely next year, if you're not in the market for a new Mac right now, this buys you some time...and of course even if you're unable to get completely up to date, every little bit helps.

Now, the tough part is that it is probably still a bit of a time investment to catch up, but I'm glad to hear that you have a solid, multi-layered backup strategy! Sometimes OS upgrade don't go perfectly smoothly, so being able to restore from a backup (or boot to your SuperDuper clone) helps us both sleep better at night. I had a similar Mac on Yosemite before I bought a newer one, and I know that at least one of us here has a 2007 MacBook going strong.

Getting to El Capitan will leave you only a year behind on macOS, and it's a solid OS. And more importantly that will allow you to use the current version of any major browser, 1Password 6, and its extensions, all of which are still under active development. Less ideal but an improvement nonetheless would be Mavericks and 1Password 4, but if you're already putting in the time and effort, it's definitely worth it to "go all the way". However, while your Mac is supported by everything up to and including El Capitan, I'm not 100% certain if it's possible to upgrade directly from Mountain Lion. You may need intermediate steps, so it may be best to reach out to Apple and see what they suggest.

Regarding 1Password, you won't be able to launch version 6 until after you've already upgraded the OS. It can read your existing vault, but I will warn you that if you launch 1Password 3 on El Capitan, it has some display glitches which may make it appear that data is missing. But once you install 1Password 6 you won't have any of those issues. As far as upgrading, you can use your existing license to get a discount on a standalone license, but you should consider the subscription service since that includes all of the apps and does away with license management and sync configuration — and you'll get a free trial for that.

Anyway, that's probably a lot to digest, so take your time and let me know if you have any questions. This kind of reminds me of how I feel when I do spring (or autumn...) cleaning, and I've let too much pile up over time. But getting through it feels amazing. :lol:

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Thanks very much for this level of detail, Brenty. It's all quite helpful...and reassuring to know you guys are there when customers have questions. I am a musician with a Mac-based studio (running Mountain Lion still on an old Mac Pro), which is why I learned the painful lesson years ago about backing up, but also why I have an aversion to mindless upgrading, since it can get quite costly upgrading studio hardware/software due to incompatibility, and the new best thing is always just around the corner.

That said, as I digest your comments I am thinking it may just be time for a computer upgrade. The fact that my Macbook Pro is still grooving along just fine is one thing, but I'd be foolish to settle for clumsy unsupported data security and I seem to be towards the very end of my tether with not only 1Password but also browser and OS updates and support.

Do you have any particular suggestions about the current Macs out there? Also, just to make sure I understand, can the 1Password.agilekeychain backup file on my Dropbox be copied just like any other file? As I mentioned, I have a lot of important documents stored in 1Password and just to be extra safe I have also copied that keychain file on a separate USB thumb drive I carry around. Does that work? (Of course, I also have the Super Duper backup, as you know.) Finally, assuming I wind up getting a new computer and upgrading to v6 of 1Password, I take it you're saying the transition will be totally seamless without any weird artifacts (i.e., so long as the install is proper all I need is my master password to be up and running on the new system)?

Again, thanks for taking the time to go into details, Brenty!

Best,
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: Ohhh gotcha. Yeah, that makes sense. I don't do a ton of recording on my Mac these days, but I know enough to understand that things get really pricey really fast. :dizzy:

It's definitely a bit of a "rock and a hard place" scenario, and frankly if I were in a similar position I think I'd hold out for a new Mac rather than going through all of the trouble to upgrade the old one only so far (since it sounds like it may not be able to run Sierra, but I'd check on that with Apple to be sure).

The question of hardware is a tough one, and depends entirely on your needs. Granted, if you've so far gotten by with older Macs this might all be irrelevant to you: anything is an upgrade! The new Touch Bar MacBook Pro looks really interesting for creative work, but of course until they're in people's hands it's hard to make a good assessment. And then the Mac Pro has not been updated in a very long time, and there's doubt about its future.

I feel like "hold on a little longer" is probably good financial advice...but it's terrible security advice. I think what it amounts to is a very personal calculation involving time, money, and how crucial the various moving parts are to your workflow.

And I realize that we've gotten way off track here. I'm really sorry about that! In the mean time, while you consider your options, we still need to get 1Password working for you as best we can. I thought perhaps that upgrading might be not only the best solution but also not too terribly complicated...yet the plot thickens. I was going to suggest trying Chrome or Firefox to get by...but I see that both of those require Mavericks or higher now. If that's an easier upgrade for you though, it may be worth pursuing.

Once the stars align though and you're able to move to the new macOS, browser, and 1Password, it can read your existing AgileKeychain vault, so there's no worry there — especially with all of those backups! You can also copy it to a USB drive to transfer it to a new computer as well.

At this point, I think the best thing to do will be to remove the Safari extension, restart your Mac, install a fresh copy, and then try to use it. It probably won't work of course since you've tried that already, but that may give us some insight in the logs. Generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can try to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Well, what do you know...I did what you suggested and this time it worked...a Login window opened up instead of the error message! I got this far in Chrome too! So I gather I am up and running on both of those browsers for now? Would you mind keeping this thread open for a bit for us to communicate in case I have problems getting things to work? I have a lot of other things on my plate right now and may only find time now and then over the next couple of weeks to work on this, but I do want to learn how to start generating passwords using 1Password. I gather I may as well start doing so in 1Password v3?

Finally, I thought Firefox (v48.0.2) wouldn't work with the existing 1Password v3 extension (based on info I found on your website somewhere) but instead of getting the "Master Password error" trying to open up the 1Password icon in Firefox I got the info I've pasted in below. Is there a solution for this? Even if not, I'm guessing you're going to tell me I'm OK for now using Safari and Chrome, and that should be plenty.

FIREFOX MESSAGE: "The address wasn’t understood. Firefox doesn’t know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (onepassword4-extension) isn’t associated with any program or is not allowed in this context. You might need to install other software to open this address."

Thanks for all your help, Brenty!
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: We generally don't close discussions unless it's requested, so no worries there. And even so, there's nothing wrong with opening a new one if you run into a different issue. We're always here to help! :chuffed:

I'd be very surprised if you were able to get the old 1Password 3 extension working in a recent version of Firefox, as I believe that they removed a "widgets" module which the old extension depends on at least a year ago. The error you're reporting (onepassword4-extension) though doesn't seem related to this. It sounds like you have the new extension installed, which will be trying to connect to 1Password 4 or higher. So it seems like you may have installed the newer extension in Firefox, which isn't compatible with 1Password 3. Just remove it. Firefox will really only be a viable option if you upgrade OS X and 1Password, since you'll be able to use the current extension there.

I'm glad to hear that you've got the 1Password 3 extension setup in Chrome, though. You can use the extension there to generate and fill strong passwords:

And while it looks a bit different now, you can follow the steps in this guide to update your accounts to use strong passwords:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

The most important thing is that you update it both with the website and in 1Password, so they both agree and 1Password will fill the logins credentials the website expects. I hope this helps! :)

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty! You were right, I had the v4 extension installed in Firefox so I've removed it. When I can find a little free time over the next couple of weeks I will focus on generating passwords using 1Password, Thanks very much for the instructions link and for pointing out the importance of making sure I update them in both the websites and in 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, Bill! Take your time, and don't hesitate to reach out if I can be of further assistance. Cheers! :)

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Today I created a couple of 1Password-generated passwords and the syncing between Safari and Chrome seems to be working great, not to mention also my iPhone. It's looking to be very cool! Before I jump headlong into replacing all of my passwords I want to torture test it from work tomorrow using my work computer. But so far things seem to be working well!

Meanwhile, I'm curious about a few things, if you don't mind…since I have 1Password working with both Safari and Chrome I seem to have a bit of a respite in needing to get a computer. When I do, presumably next year, I'll do the upgrade to 1Password V6 from my current V3 version. So it's probably good I understand V3 a bit better, since for now I'm planning on staying with it until I do more research about what hardware upgrade makes the most sense (given I also use computers for my music work).

First, did I read somewhere that v6 charges people to access Accounts from an iPhone as opposed to Logins? I've never given any thought to distinguishing the two and I have plenty of both. If I should be converting all of my Accounts to Logins in anticipation of moving to V6 I'll add that to my list.

Second, as I mentioned, I'm backing up to Dropbox. So I see 1Password is backing up automatically to my local Dropbox folder but it doesn't look like the agilekeychain backups are going to the Dropbox website. I also am not seeing any 1Password backups at library/applicationsupport/1Password/backups, which is where I've thought they're supposed to be on my Mac. Where exactly is it my backups are and ought to be going? I obviously want to to be storing somewhere outside my computer, which is what I assumed was happening with Dropbox. I need to sort this issue out.

Thanks very much for any direction you can give me on these questions!

Best,
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: Heya, Bill! :)

Today I created a couple of 1Password-generated passwords and the syncing between Safari and Chrome seems to be working great, not to mention also my iPhone. It's looking to be very cool! Before I jump headlong into replacing all of my passwords I want to torture test it from work tomorrow using my work computer. But so far things seem to be working well!

Great! Also be sure to consider your current passwords before changing them. If an account already has a long, strong, unique password, there is probably no reason to change it (and make more work for yourself in the process). But of course any accounts that have a weak or re-used password should be changed.

Meanwhile, I'm curious about a few things, if you don't mind…since I have 1Password working with both Safari and Chrome I seem to have a bit of a respite in needing to get a computer. When I do, presumably next year, I'll do the upgrade to 1Password V6 from my current V3 version. So it's probably good I understand V3 a bit better, since for now I'm planning on staying with it until I do more research about what hardware upgrade makes the most sense (given I also use computers for my music work).

Indeed! And while 1Password 6 is different in a lot of ways, it's built on the same principles. You may be surprised at first by how much has changed in the past 7 years, but it won't be long until you're right at home — and we're here to help you acclimate.

First, did I read somewhere that v6 charges people to access Accounts from an iPhone as opposed to Logins? I've never given any thought to distinguishing the two and I have plenty of both. If I should be converting all of my Accounts to Logins in anticipation of moving to V6 I'll add that to my list.

1Password 6 actually treats many "Accounts" item types as "Logins", since that allows you to use them to fill in the browser, so there may not be anything you need to do. Can you give me an example or two? And to be clear, 1Password for iOS has an in-app purchase for Pro Features, which allows the creation of items other than Logins, Credit Cards, Identities, and Secure Notes (among other things), but you can access any data you sync there from your Mac.

Second, as I mentioned, I'm backing up to Dropbox. So I see 1Password is backing up automatically to my local Dropbox folder but it doesn't look like the agilekeychain backups are going to the Dropbox website. I also am not seeing any 1Password backups at library/applicationsupport/1Password/backups, which is where I've thought they're supposed to be on my Mac. Where exactly is it my backups are and ought to be going? I obviously want to to be storing somewhere outside my computer, which is what I assumed was happening with Dropbox. I need to sort this issue out.

First, I think it's important to not think of Dropbox as a backup. If you delete something you didn't want to, Dropbox will sync that change as well. So it isn't really a failsafe, just a convenient way to access your data on multiple devices.

If you go to 1Password Preferences > Backups, it should show you the location. You can then right-click the path and Show in Finder. Then just make sure whatever backup app/service/device you're using includes that folder. "Outside [your] computer" is important, but offsite backup is even more so, since any local backups can easily be nullified by fire, theft, or any other misfortune that might befall your abode. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks very much for any direction you can give me on these questions!

Always a pleasure! :chuffed:

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty! Really appreciate it! I'll focus on this again after the holidays and keep plugging away at things then…Have a great Thanksgiving!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sure thing! Happy Thanksgiving to you too! :chuffed:

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Hey Brenty…I've had a ton on my plate lately and haven't been able to focus on this but now I finally want to return to creating new passwords for all important accounts. (Would you say there isn't much need to focus on mere sign-in passwords for retail sites where I never saved my credit card info and perhaps shopped there once or at most sporadically? I have so many of them, not that it would be a problem to generate passwords, I admit.)

But here is something that has been confusing me that I'd like to nail down. I've tried several times but I still don't know where my backups are going. When I go to 1Password Preferences > Backups (as you instructed) it shows the path as Users > billable > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Backups. But once I am in the billgable folder there is no Library sub-folder there. Alternatively, if I don't go through the Users > billgable path and merely access the overall Library folder there is an Application Support folder in there but no 1Password folder inside that. When I am inside the 1Password Preferences window and I click on the final Backups folder name in the overall path I've described it opens up a Backups window with a bunch of agilekeychain documents but they're all greyed out.

I totally get your point about keeping in mind that Dropbox is great for accessing the most recent version of the keychain so I am thinking I ought to be sure my backups are truly going somewhere I can access them. As I've mentioned, not only do I use 1Password for password storage, I store lots of important personal documents in there that I don't keep anywhere else. It seems like I may be able to hang out with 1Password v3 on my current computer for a while just fine now that I have the drivers sorted out but I want to make sure I'm actually backing up properly.

Thanks very much in advance for your further advice!!

Best,
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hey Brenty…I've had a ton on my plate lately and haven't been able to focus on this but now I finally want to return to creating new passwords for all important accounts.

@billgable: No worries, Bill! I understand completely. Tis the season! :lol

(Would you say there isn't much need to focus on mere sign-in passwords for retail sites where I never saved my credit card info and perhaps shopped there once or at most sporadically? I have so many of them, not that it would be a problem to generate passwords, I admit.)

Oh, that's an excellent point! While it makes me cringe to think of the sites I must have out there still from before I used 1Password, long forgotten, I think we can both sleep well by applying some pragmatism. Just update passwords as you go. Honestly, a lot of people start using 1Password and get really excited...and then get burnt out trying to change all of their passwords right off the bat. Sure, in a perfect world we'd remember all of the sites and all of the passwords and change them all to something long/strong/unique in the spam of a day...but we don't live in that world, wherever it is, that's for sure! ;)

So my recommendation is always to go at your own pace. Especially around bill-paying time, you'll knock out a lot of them — perhaps a lot more than you want to. But especially for infrequently-used sites (or long-forgotten ones), if they pop into your head, have a go of it and update your password there. The most important thing is that your most important accounts —invariably the ones you use most — are random passwords. That way if you've got some shopping site account out there that gets hacked, nothing important is using that password.

And in cases where you haven't used an account for a long time, even if you had saved credit card information there and forgot, that credit card is probably expired. And, worst case scenario,
    a quick call to the credit card company (you've got that information saved in 1Password, right?) will bail you out. Make your best effort, but like anything else you've gotta prioritize — and sleep — because there are only so many hours in a day, and you've got other stuff to do. :sunglasses:

But here is something that has been confusing me that I'd like to nail down. I've tried several times but I still don't know where my backups are going. When I go to 1Password Preferences > Backups (as you instructed) it shows the path as Users > billable > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Backups. But once I am in the billgable folder there is no Library sub-folder there. Alternatively, if I don't go through the Users > billgable path and merely access the overall Library folder there is an Application Support folder in there but no 1Password folder inside that. When I am inside the 1Password Preferences window and I click on the final Backups folder name in the overall path I've described it opens up a Backups window with a bunch of agilekeychain documents but they're all greyed out.

Ah, it isn't you, Bill. Apple started hiding the Library folder a while back. Generally, they don't want you to go poking around in there, and I think they got too many calls from people who did and deleted stuff. hehe

You can, however, press ⌘ ⇧ G in Finder to bring up the Go to Folder dialog, and then just enter ~/Library/ to get there manually, and ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups/ will take you right to the folder you want (you can just copy and paste that; the ~ is shorthand for your home folder).

I totally get your point about keeping in mind that Dropbox is great for accessing the most recent version of the keychain so I am thinking I ought to be sure my backups are truly going somewhere I can access them. As I've mentioned, not only do I use 1Password for password storage, I store lots of important personal documents in there that I don't keep anywhere else. It seems like I may be able to hang out with 1Password v3 on my current computer for a while just fine now that I have the drivers sorted out but I want to make sure I'm actually backing up properly.
    Thanks very much in advance for your further advice!!
    Best,
    Bill

Indeed! I'm glad you asked since you hit a wall there. It sounds like you've found a path forward. If you get busy again, it's no problem. Just reach out if/when you need something, and have a happy holiday season in the mean time! :chuffed:

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Happy Holidays, Brenty! I have gone through all of my passwords and updated each one to be unique and non-obvious, most of them generated by 1Password. And I did manage to find my Library where my backups are stored. So until I get a new computer and upgrade to v6 it looks like I'm set! So I wanted to thank you again for all your help in getting me set up!!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: Thank you so much for following up, Bill! That's fantastic news — and just in time for a nice long holiday weekend. Having a monumental task like that out of the way has got to be satisfying, and I hope you enjoy the the fruits (and entrees, and desserts) or your labours. You've earned it! Happy holidays to you and yours! You know where to find us if you need anything else. :chuffed:

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Hey Brenty! Hope all is good with you these days… Following up on our exchanges from last year, next week I am finally getting an upgraded (2016 MacBook Pro) computer. Lots of things have started to get strange running Mountain Lion on my old 2007 Macbook Pro so I simply was forced to make the move. When you get a second, would you mind please sending me a link(s) to info about exactly what my options are for upgrading 1Password? Will my version not work at all on a new computer? I think I'd prefer an option that doesn't have a monthly support fee…as I'm quite happy with the way my old version of 1Password functions and that doesn't have those bells and whistles…many thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: Doing well. Thanks for the good wishes! :chuffed:

Based on our past conversation, it sounds like you've still got 1Password 3. Unfortunately past Yosemite this has some real issues (fields not displaying, no support for current browsers, etc.), so 1Password 6 is better. If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store (I'm really not sure since I don't see any licenses under this email address) or purchased 1Password 4 or later from the AgileBits Store, you'll already have what you need on the Mac. Just install and apply your license (or use your Apple ID, in the case of the App Store) to validate the purchase. If you need help figuring out what you have, just send an email to support+licenses@agilebits.com with whatever information you have (for example, receipt or other name/email address you may have used), and post the Support ID you receive here so I can take a look at it right away for you. Cheers! :)

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty! Yes, I have v3.8.22. My new computer delivery got delayed but is supposed to arrive the week of March 20. I'll dive in sometime after that. I can't recall 100% where I bought 1Password, but I'm fairly certain it was the Agile Bits store. Does that mean I won't "have what I need on my Mac?" Assuming I do "have what I need on my Mac," would I want to use my current Mac to download and purchase the update or would I just send my new computer the original Agile Bits email or something like that to initiate the install only on the new computer? Meanwhile, I'll try to poke around this weekend to see what kind of original documentation I got. Sorry for all these nit-picky questions but may as well do it the proper way! Hope things are good with you….best, Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: Without any information on what you purchased already, I honestly don't know. If you have a 1Password for Mac license, it's yours to use on all of your computers. To be clear, you can install the app without the license, but you'll be stuck with trial restrictions. Rather than you having to sift through a lot of emails if you're not certain when or where it would be, it will probably be quicker to email us directly as I suggested above with a list of addresses to check, as it would still be in our system. :)

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

Hi Brenty…I found my receipt on my other email….I'll paste it in below. So once my new computer arrives I can just use this info on the Agile Bits online store to upgrade easily to v6 with all my data getting transferred seamlessly? If so, I'll carry on by myself without needing to bug you I suspect. Thanks so much!

[license information removed by moderator]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@billgable: That's one option, but I'd definitely recommend a 1Password.com membership instead. You'll get the latest version of all the apps, but also a lot of peace of mind since you'll always have a secure backup safely stored offsite, and all you'll need to do is login to your account on each device to access your data (rather than having to configure sync settings on each time). And you can try it out for 30 days for free, so that gives you a chance to try it out — and some breathing room after dropping some dough on the new computer. Either way, let me know and we'll get you setup. :)

ref: 560529

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

Hi Brenty...

I wanted to give you a bit of feedback in case it surprises or helps you in any way keeping abreast of user experiences. On my new 2015 MacBook Pro I'm running 1Password v3 perfectly (so far as I can tell) using Sierra v10.12.3. I'm not running into any fields not displaying properly though I don't yet use browsers to automatically populate password fields so perhaps that's what you're referring to in your previous emails? FYI, I just copy and paste passwords into websites from either my laptop 1Password program or type passwords in (a bit laborious, I admit) when I'm at working using my iPhone 1Password app. But that alone (i.e., highly random password generation and cross-device storage and sharing) provides itself an incredible product (IMHO) and it's not all that inconvenient to use 1Password that way. My keychain seems to be backing up correctly in Dropbox too. In short, 1Password seems to be operating exactly as it was before on my old MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion! Does this surprise you?

Best,
    Bill

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@billgable: That really does surprise me! I haven't heard of cases of 1Password 3 not having display issues on El Capitan or Sierra. I've got it here for testing, and it's pretty much unusable for editing. So maybe it isn't so bad if you're not making changes, since you wouldn't be longing for autosave in the browser either. Hey, if it works for you, that's good enough for me. But we're here if you have any questions or need help upgrading later on. Fascinating. :lol:

• billgable
    billgable
    Community Member

So far I have been able to add a new Account and it is automatically backing up normally to my Dropbox too. I seem to have fallen in a time warp! Anyway, if it ain't broke don't fix it...time will tell but just wanted you to know for whatever it might be worth. Thanks again for all your help along the way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Haha no problem! Indeed. Sync and data integrity haven't been an issue, so we're not sending out PSAs to have people upgrade or anything. If you're happy, we are too. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.