Master Password and Touch Id

Options
scorepro
scorepro
Community Member

I have been using the app on my iphone for a few months now and all this time it has asked me for my touch id to access the app. However this morning it now wants me to enter my master password which I have forgotten. So now I cant get in to the app although I do have a secure means, i.e. my finger print. What are my options. This is really frustrating.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@scorepro: Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear about the lost Master Password! The Master Password you chose was used to encrypted your data, not your fingerprint, so it is needed to decrypt it as well. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is known only by you. No information about your Master Password is ever sent to us. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the Master Password. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-master-password

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Please let me know how it turns out. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• scorepro
    scorepro
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply and I understand the isolation of the MP but for whatever reason, after a few months, I can no longer use my finger print to access the app as I have done till now. During that time I have 'lost' my MP as I no longer needed it as such as my finger was the key. If the app woud let me login with my finger then things will be fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that. Any number of things might cause Touch ID to no longer be available on your device, and there simply isn't any other way to access your data than with the Master Password. If there were, 1Password — and your data — would not really be secure at all. :(

• scorepro
    scorepro
    Community Member
    Options

perhaps Im not being very clear. Toch id is working and giving me access to my phone. However 1P is not allowing me to login using Touch today as it has done for every other day using the app. Again, I understand the purpose of a master password and the distinction between the app and its data. what I dont understand is why I can not access the app using my finger any more. And there was me thinking that 1P was going to put an end to my password issues!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I understand. But if any changes are made to Touch ID (which could be by the user or by the OS), it can be disabled for 1Password. 1Password is meant to help us stay more secure by storing the kinds of long, strong, unique passwords that we could never remember ourselves; but Master Password is the one password we do need to remember, since it's used to protect the others. There just isn't any way around that. :(

This discussion has been closed.