share personal vault/turn off personal vault/set default vault for a family member?

DanBrotsky
DanBrotsky
Community Member

I have my added my father-in-law to our 1Password for Families so I can help him access his accounts. He wants me to have access to all of his Passwords, but (not being tech savvy) keeps creating new ones in his personal vault. No matter how many times I help him switch to our shared vault, 1Password will eventually default him back to his personal vault, and he will create new passwords there. Is there any way I can either: (best) disable/delete his personal vault, (next best) set his personal vault up to be shared with me, or (least best, but better than nothing) lock the default vault (for both lookups and creations) on his computer and phone to be a specific shared vault?

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.5.1 (651005) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.1 (Sierra)
Sync Type: 1Password for families

Comments

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@DanBrotsky your best bet is to change the default vault that your father-in-law saves to.

In 1Password > Preferences > All Vaults there is an option "Vault for Saving". The default for this is Personal. Click on that and change the vault to the shared one that you are using with him. Any passwords created after you do this will then be saved in your shared vault rather than the Personal one.

• Hi @DanBrotsky! I'll second what Martok said: The "Vault for Saving" can be changed specifically for stuff like this. Learn more about how to change it on each of your devices in our All Vaults knowledge base article. Let us know if you have some questions. :)

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

OK, thanks, better my last choice than nothing at all :). I will suggest disabling personal vaults for specific users as a feature request - I think the Teams people have a similar request I can extend to include families.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DanBrotsky: I dunno. I think it would be kind of rude to give someone their own account as a full Member only to take their Personal vault away! :scream:

But to be completely serious, you can create this regime without having to do that in the first place: Guest accounts only have access to a single vault you share with them, so it sounds like that may be a better option for you. Cheers! :)

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

@brenty: I think you have a perspective on Personal vaults that misses a key difference between personally owned and team/family accounts. See my reply in the feature request for more info.

• Let's keep the conversation there for now. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.