1P context menu complaint

Options
Vexed
Vexed
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

I use the context menu items a lot, especially Identities.
Occasionally even Password Generator, WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN IMPROVED AND STILL SUCKS DESPITE MANY YEARS OF COMPLAINTS FROM MANY USERS. But I digress.

Didn't the 1P entry used to have an arrow next to it to open the the other 1P items just by hovering, instead of having to click 1P to open them? The same way that context menu items like Speech and Transformations have arrows next to them that open their sub-menus. After clicking 1P a new menu opens and all those items have arrows next to them.

It annoys me that I must click 1P to get to the items I want.
Please add an arrow to make it faster & easier to get to the full 1P menu.

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: 10.11.6

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @Vexed,

Thanks for writing us to ask about the 1Password option in the browser context menu!

Didn't the 1P entry used to have an arrow next to it to open the the other 1P items...

I believe it worked like that back in 1Password 3. When we released 1Password 4 a few years ago, we completely redesigned the 1Password extension, and as a result of that, the context menu item doesn't have the same functionality. However, the menu item was kept around to provide something for users who were used to using it back in version 3. Selecting it now opens 1Password mini.

To be honest, I tend to forget that context menu item exists at all. Personally, I think it's much easier to open 1Password mini by clicking the 1Password extension icon in the browser's toolbar, or the icon in my Mac's menubar, or by using the ⌥⌘\ (option+command+backslash) keyboard shortcut.

It annoys me that I must click 1P to get to the items I want.
    Please add an arrow to make it faster & easier to get to the full 1P menu.

You don't have to click at all, and you don't even have to open the context menu first. As I mentioned above, you can use the ⌥⌘\ (option+command+backslash) keyboard shortcut to open 1Password mini. Then you can use the arrow keys to navigate through the submenus, or hover over them with your mouse. You can even just start typing to search for the item you want (focus is in the Search field by default).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vexed: Hmm. I definitely don't have large hands, and I use my right thumb to press the right key and my right middle finger for \. Maybe we just have different keyboards. Also, keep in mind that you can choose a different shortcut in 1Password Preferences > General that would allow you to use only your left hand, for example, if that's more convenient. I don't quite understand the LaunchBar conflict you're referring to, but that may help there as well. Just a suggestion that might make your life easier. Never hurts to try it! :)

Even though you weren't specific, it sounds to me like you're referring to the old scripting addition 1Password used for browser integration in version 2 and early in version 3. This was something we did in Safari and a few other browsers which did not have extension frameworks to enable 1Password to interact. Since this was not supported, eventually Apple introduced a Safari extension API and cut off the previous integration method we were using, and other browsers simply died off (R.I.P. Camino...) You can still use this if you've got an old Mac lying around (Snow Leopard and Safari 4, I think).

The current state of things is much better than it was initially with regard to what extensions can do, but we still don't have the freedom we did back when we were injecting code into the browser. Frankly it's better for browser stability and security that this was stopped. You (hopefully) only remember the good things about those days, but literally every Safari update broke 1Password integration until we were able to figure out another hack. Exciting, but not fun.

Anyway, that's why there isn't a fancy multi-tiered contextual menu, and why we created 1Password mini to allow similar functionality. I'm sorry that you hate it so much, and we'll certainly work to improve it in the future, but it just isn't possible (or, really, desirable) to go back to the way things used to be. But I'd love to hear any of your suggestions for how we might feasibly improve 1Password mini (and the password generator, since you mentioned that as well). Cheers! :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Vexed: I'm not here to argue with you — about entropy in particular, math in general, the fact that a site which places limits on password composition is less secure, or anything else. If you feel that another product is a better fit for your needs, then I don't want to get in your way or try to convince you that your preferences are somehow wrong. Whether you use 1Password or a competitor's product, the most important thing is that you're using a password manager to stay safe online. And no matter what, we'll continue to improve 1Password for all of our awesome customers. I'm sorry if you don't agree with all of our design decisions, but you need to do what's best for you. Stay safe out there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

There are lots of users out there, and they all have different requirements. We do our best to accommodate the most we can while maintaining an app that’s great to use. And that isn't set in stone; it's very much an ongoing process. So these are things we continue to evaluate.

But at the same time, password restrictions make all of us less secure, so from our perspective it would be a poor use of our own limited time and energy (which are the only tools we have to make 1Password better for users). Being unable to handle certain characters is a hint that the site may be vulnerable to SQL injection attacks, or simply that they are not using good hashing practices on the server side. At best, they're making it more difficult for all of their users to be more secure by using a password of greater length and composition; and at worst, they have your password stored on the server so it can be obtained by an attacker in the case of a breach, rather than a salted hash that cannot be reversed.

So when you encounter a password restriction, this affects not only you but anyone else who has an account on that site. When we encounter this sort of thing, it's best to bring this to the attention of the site owner — often a company that we have a a relationship with — and encourage them to not only allow all of their users to be more secure, but to cover their own asses. Especially with all of the data dumps showing up more and more in mainstream news, both the average person and the people in power at these companies are more aware of what they each have to lose.

The question of resources aside (though anything we do means not doing something else), I feel strongly (and I know I'm not alone here) that ultimately if we design 1Password around these types of bad security practices, this is a tacit endorsement and actually helps to perpetuate these things, if only in a small way. If we get to the point where we've burned through more popular features and improvements that will help a greater number of people be more secure, then we can reevaluate the prospect of adding additional options to 1Password expressly for compensating for the shortcomings of website security. But at this time the answer is "not now".

In the mean time, you can still generate a truly random password and simply delete any banned characters. It's not ideal, but as always, any login saved in 1Password is only as secure as the practices of the site it belongs to.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Vexed,

I’m sorry you feel like this. We’ll keep on working every day to improve 1Password!

• There is, as of yet, no standard for websites to communicate to password managers the specific nuances of their password requirements. As a result, creating a password with a password generator involves some user interaction.

• You're absolutely right. We could provide an interface in our password generator that would allow you to provide a list of characters to exclude from the generator. So you could provide it with a list of those characters, and the generator could ensure that no passwords get generated with any of those.

I'm not entirely sure where you're expecting to find the list of excluded characters for a site though. In order to do so, you'd pretty much have to have generated a password that was rejected, and the site have given you the reason and told you that such a character isn't allowed. So you could then add it to the list, then try again. This is a pretty terrible experience. It's also an indication that the website uses very poor security (not always, but it's certainly an indicator).

Adding an excluded characters filter would help in some cases. At the cost of added complexity in the password generation interface, password strength calculation, etc.. But you're right, it would help in some cases. This isn't the only case to consider though. There are many others. If the goal is to provide an interface for which you can create a password that's going to work on all websites ever... that's going to be very difficult for us. There are some very bizarre password requirements out there, many of which are downright hostile to security.

In the specific case of symbols, you do have the option of not using symbols at all. You can compensate for the lower bits-entropy-per-character by upping the length such that the resulting strength of the password is just as strong.

It can sometimes feel futile to email websites asking them to do a better job with security. But it does actually work. I've seen many sites change their requirements as a result of users pushing them. They're not doing it purposefully in order to make you less secure, they're probably trying their best and just don't know better.

I know that it can feel frustrating discussing this with us and not seeing movement towards something that you feel very passionate about. That passion is awesome. But please do remember that we're people too. No one likes being called dense. We're trying our best to create an app that's great... not just for you, but for everyone.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The net is vast and infinite, so the sites you frequent most aren't necessarily going to be the same as Rick or myself. Something to keep in mind.

Personally, I very rarely encounter cases where the password requirements are clearly posted. Some sites, sure; but certainly not "most", and this is often this is trial and error; I only find out that I've broken their rules when I try to save — or worse: when they accept the 64 characters I gave them, but later it turns out they'll only let me login using the first 20 of them. Yeah...

And then there's stuff like this:

Wired: 412M Accounts Breached on FriendFinder

Password restrictions. Why? Because they we're storing them in the clear. Only some were hashed, poorly. This is not uncommon. Even if we implement the changes you want in the future, it will never be within 1Password's power to protect you from websites' questionable security policies, which result in weaker passwords, perhaps only slightly as you rightly pointed out, but stem from a systemic security deficit. Thats the real issue.

It's also important to note that, in most cases, you'll only need to generate a password once for a site. Do it right the first time, and, barring a breach, you'll likely never have to change it. And when I say "barring a breach", again, having 1Password make it easier to generate a compliant password doesn't actually protect you from this security threat; this needs to be addressed on the site itself.

And honestly we can do a lot more good for a lot more 1Password users by improving 1Password's filling, which is used much more frequently, rather than adding a bunch of options to the password generator. I'm sorry that you're not pleased to hear that this isn't at the top of our priority list as a result, but no matter how rude you choose to be in your attempts to persuade us, we're still going to love you and listen to your feedback seriously. Purchasing a software license doesn't give you a license for bad behaviour or the right to demand that it change to suit you — frankly, nothing gives you that right — but it would be a shame if your honesty and passion were dismissed out of hand due to a lack of com passion. Thanks for taking the time to share your feelings with us.

This discussion has been closed.