How do I set up a pin instead of touch ID on my iPad (touch ID does not work--poor fingerprints)

Options
jaycdavison
jaycdavison
Community Member

I would like to set up a pin instead of touch ID on my iPad. Although my iPad does have touch ID, it will not work because my fingerprints are too light or vague or something. But it appears that the only option in 1Password security is touch ID or Master Password. On my older iPad (without touch ID) this is not a problem. I am sure I am not the only user with this problem. Can you help please?

1Password Version: 6.5.1
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: local network
Referrer: forum-search:How do I set up a pin instead of touch ID on my iPad (touch ID does not work--poor fingerprints)

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jaycdavison: It isn't possible to use a PIN on a Touch ID device. However, you may be able to use Touch ID after all, registering the same finger multiple times. I know this has worked for others in a similar situation. I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• jaycdavison
    jaycdavison
    Community Member
    Options

My fingerprints (and my wife's) would not even register on the Homeland Security devices when we got our
    Global Entry passes, and I understand they use pretty sophisticated scanners. That is probably why after trying many, many times on our Apple devices they simply do not work. I doubt that we are the only people with this problem. It seems to me like there could be a software workaround on 1password that allows use of a pin when the touch ID is disabled. The lack of this feature makes 1password so difficult to use on the iPad that I am seriously considering abandoning it and going back to LastPass. I switched because I did not want my passwords in the cloud, but after choosing a lengthy and complicated master password as you suggested, I really don't want to have to type it virtually every time I open a website. This was never a problem with LastPass.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@jaycdavison: Ah, I'm sorry. That's for getting back to me. Rereading what I wrote, I can see that I wasn't very clear: if you disable Touch ID completely, then you'll be able to use a PIN since, to 1Password (and other apps), Touch ID will be unavailable. However, you can't "have your cake and eat it too", both using and not using Touch ID.

On the other hand, a is PIN not very secure at all, so I'd definitely recommend configuring your lock settings to better suit your needs. There's no reason for you to have to enter your Master Password "virtually every time [you] open a website". When I start using 1Password, it generally doesn't lock on me unless I put the device down and walk away for a while. Let me know if that helps!

This discussion has been closed.