Multiple vaults on Android.

Hi, I have the "pro" android version. I just got a new phone, Note 7. I can't find where I can add an additional vault? Under settings, I just see add account, but that takes me to the "team" sign in. I just want to snyc my 3 vaults with my phone which I have synced thru dropbox succesfully in the past. Confused where this option is to add my additional vaults.
Thanks

1Password Version: Android version 6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.0.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:android multiple vaults

Comments

• Hi @kindalikeadrummer. :)

On 1Password for Android, multiple vaults are only supported with 1Password accounts at the moment. It's not currently possible to sync multiple local vaults. This is something we've received other requests for, and I'll definitely add your vote for this feature. ref: OPA-97

In the meantime, I recommend taking a look at 1Password accounts, You can try it for free if you like. That way, you'd be able to add and use all of your vaults on Android.

Let me know if you have more questions! Thanks!

• Ok, thanks, I thought I had it done before. Now am I understanding correctly that a "local" account is the type of account I have. I paid for the program one time and own it? I sync my vaults through dropbox, which you refer to as a local account correct?
    The new types of accounts require a monthly charge correct? What is the advantage of me switching to an account or family account? Is the syncing better, it works pretty flawless for me now. These are new options to one password right?

Thanks for your help!

• Right you are, @kindalikeadrummer. It's a local vault because your data is only stored locally unless you explicitly sync it, as opposed to our hosted service which stores your data in our servers. Your purchase of the Pro features for 1Password 6 will never expire, so you'll have them unlocked on all Android devices for as long as you're using 1Password 6.

There are quite a few advantages to our new hosted service. The subscription covers all client apps (so your Mac and/or PC would be covered), including the Pro features on mobile devices, and all major upgrades. So you'd never have to worry about purchasing an upgrade. Plus, sync happens seamlessly so you'd just need to add your account to any device and your data will be available. You can also access account information in a browser, in case you're ever without one of your devices. You can read a little more about it here:
    https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/08/03/new-1password-hosted-service/

I also encourage you to sign up and try it out. There's a free trial, so go ahead and give it a spin. :)

• mlavigne
    mlavigne
    Community Member

Please add support for the multiple vaults in Android. I don't think it's fair that I purchase a full license but that I don't have access to all of the features that I would expect. I love the software, keep up the good work but please add this. Thanks!

• Thank you for your feedback, @mlavigne. I will share your interest for multiple vault support for OPVault and AgileKeychain vaults with our team.

• mlavigne
    mlavigne
    Community Member

Awesome, much appreciated @saad

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We appreciate the feedback. I'm looking forward to that feature as well! :) :+1:

• Liamf
    Liamf
    Community Member

I have this issue and I think it is shameful that you offer this feature on IOS but not android. Don't you realize that the majority of technical savvy people use android. I believe not having this easy to add feature is anot excase to drive people to your subscription service.

I paid for the pro on my phone as I do share a vault but I also want to have my own private vault. Now I have been scammed because the pro version on android is sadly lacking the only feature I care about.

What is the time line for getting this added. It's a simple add just allow a second vault to be added. You have had it in IOS translating that to android is not that hard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Liamf: Broad generalizations about the technical acumen of users of each platform aside, we definitely want to have the same experience across all of our apps, but it will take time. It certainly isn't easy, and frankly a lot of the cool stuff we do on iOS and macOS is relatively portable between the two, which isn't a benefit we get on Windows or Android unfortunately, so it's often more work in those cases.

We certainly don't intend to mislead anyone about this, so we don't list "multiple vaults" as a Pro Feature in 1Password for Android as far as I can tell; but be sure to let us know if there's an error somewhere I'm forgetting. We don't have a timeline for this, as it's certainly not a situation where we can simply reuse the code from 1Password for iOS, but we're working hard to bring better consistency with regard to features and the overall experience. It's just more work than you might imagine it is.

In the mean time, 1Password Accounts have vaults that are hosted, so we essentially do get multiple vaults there without having to explicitly add support for them. And since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data — there are other benefits as well, so you may want to consider that.

Either way, shoot us an email at support+licenses@agilebits.com and we'll see what we can do to help in your case. Post the Support ID you receive here and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers! :)

• shaddowman
    shaddowman
    Community Member

Do we have an ETA on this feature yet? Just purchased on Android and expected same functionality as iOS. Very surprised that they aren't the same in terms of basic functionality like this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017

@shaddowman: Sorry for the confusion there. I can't offer you a timeline for this or any other new features though. We're not actively working on support for local vaults right now, but I'll let the development team know this is a feature you'd like us to add.

• sejtam
    sejtam
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I bought licenses for 1P for up tp 5 macs, and Android separately. I expect to be able to share
    a vault also with my android devices. Now i find that I need to subscribe to a families account or such (which includes the use of the software, which I already paid for). That irks. That, and the inability to define our own data structures.. msecure from mseven (my previous password tool) is now catching up with 1P quickly, and there i was able to always define new datasets with predefined fields.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sejtam: Custom categories is something we'd like to have in the future as well. We're experimenting with that as a 1Password Teams Pro beta feature, and if all goes well perhaps we can roll that out to all 1Password.com accounts. But it probably isn't something we're going to be able to add to multiple existing legacy vault formats. They just weren't designed with that in mind. 1Password.com is where we're currently focusing our efforts, as it's more flexible and allows us to do things like that seamlessly across all platforms. Even if we do go back and add major features like these for local vaults, I can't imagine we'd be able to do so for free. But the apps/features that you have paid for will continue to function for you. And to be clear, 1Password isn't licensed per device, but rather per platform, so a single 1Password for Mac license entitles you to use it on all of your Macs, not "up to 5 Macs".

• jwkicklighter
    jwkicklighter
    Community Member

I'm really surprised this isn't either a feature yet or higher on the dev priority list. It hurts really bad to have paid for the pro features on iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows, yet not be able to utilize this feature on 1 of the 4 platforms. The work the dev team has put into 1P accounts is great, and it works really well, but I bought into 1Password specifically because it was a one-time license rather than continuing my LastPass subscription. Not to mention that I'd rather keep my data synced locally instead of in the cloud (the other big reason I switched). I have been a customer for several years, but if this never gets added then I won't have a reason to buy several more platform licenses for family members that I need to share some (but not all) passwords with.

It's a shame too because I used to sing 1Password high praises. Was planning on moving my dev team to 1Password accounts, but not after waiting over a year for feature parity of offline vaults across platforms.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jwkicklighter: We've chosen to focus on 1Password.com accounts currently as improvements we make there can be rolled out across all platforms much more efficiently, and benefit a wider cross-section of 1Password users without them having to do anything but update.

For example, a 1Password Teams membership would allow your team to use multiple vaults today (and custom categories, if you're on a Pro plan and enable this beta feature) without each team member having to manage sync configuration for individual vaults on each of their devices — they simply sign in to their 1Password.com account and all of the vaults they have access to are available to them.

Similarly, a 1Password Families membership would allow you to securely share some (but not all) passwords with your loved ones without them having to configure sync settings for each vault on all of their devices, or get help from you to do it — you can just put items in the default Shared vault (and so can they), or create a new vault to share with specific family members.

You're right to be surprised to some extent that 1Password for Android doesn't support multiple local vaults, as this is a feature we'd like to have as well! But at the same time, it's less surprising when we consider that we need to prioritize working on things that will benefit the greatest number of people. With local vaults, very few people use more than one because they're a pain to setup, manage, share, and sync. With 1Password.com, using multiple vaults is easy to the point that most people (with the possible exception of admins) never even have to think about it; they just have access to whatever they need.

While you've no doubt gotten many other features and improvements over time in updates which 1Password didn't have when you purchased it, I'm sorry that we can't give you everything you — or we — want. But hopefully this gives you a better sense of why this is our focus: 1Password.com allows us to make a better, more consistent, convenient experience across all platforms, without sacrificing security.

• MasterT
    MasterT
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

I want to mirror what others have posted about the multiple vaults being useful for paid upgrades (something we already paid for).

I actually understand your business model, in pushing 1Password.com. It's a more sustainable income stream, predictable, and of course you can get more money out of people. I, and I'm sure, everyone else here understands that.

To go from my perspective a bit. I have no intention, under really any circumstances, on buying 1Password.com, or even if it's free to use it. There's a few reasons for this, but the main one for me is that it's the same reason why I don't use any cloud services to store my passwords. I don't use SpiderOak, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc to store my passwords. I simply don't want them on these other systems. Sure, it's convenient to sync your stuff to these services, but then my passwords, even if encrypted, are now on another server that I don't have control over. It's nothing against your service, again I understand the model, but for some (at least me anyways), it's not secure enough. There's likely very little that you'd be able to say that would convince me otherwise.

Which gets me to paid monthly model vs software. I, like many of the people here, support your company because we think you're awesome. Some of us like like to pay once for our software, have essentially our 'own copy', and that be that. We can, and should be able to, use it how we see fit from that point on.

Again, I understand your companies point of view, but I really hope your company doesn't forget what made them who they are today. There's a reason why we don't use other, cheaper, services out like (like LastPass). Please...don't forget the people who made your company what it is today, and alienate the needs of those customers to favor online subscriptions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hi Brenty, I want to mirror what others have posted about the multiple vaults being useful for paid upgrades (something we already paid for).

@MasterT: Thanks for taking the time to weigh in. :)

I actually understand your business model, in pushing 1Password.com. It's a more sustainable income stream, predictable, and of course you can get more money out of people. I, and I'm sure, everyone else here understands that.

This is true, but I think it's also more predicable for customers. In the past, I always spent a lot of time weighing the relative merits of an upgrade versus the cost, and often they'd come up out of the blue: I'd get an email from a developer saying there's a new version, and sometimes there was some sticker shock involved. Something as critical to our workflows as 1Password, both for security and convenience (to make getting work done, paying bills, etc. smoother) really needs constant developer attention, so it's a virtuous cycle: 1Password.com members keep getting new features and improvements, and we keep getting paid for the work we're doing over time.

To go from my perspective a bit. I have no intention, under really any circumstances, on buying 1Password.com, or even if it's free to use it. There's a few reasons for this, but the main one for me is that it's the same reason why I don't use any cloud services to store my passwords. I don't use SpiderOak, OneDrive, Google Drive, etc to store my passwords. I simply don't want them on these other systems. Sure, it's convenient to sync your stuff to these services, but then my passwords, even if encrypted, are now on another server that I don't have control over. It's nothing against your service, again I understand the model, but for some (at least me anyways), it's not secure enough. There's likely very little that you'd be able to say that would convince me otherwise.

Ultimately it's your data, and it's up to you. But it's important to note that we never have anyone's passwords. I don't want mine sitting on someone else's computer either. So with 1Password

1. Your 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device
    2. Only encrypted data is transmitted
    3. The server only receives and stores an encrypted blob
    4. Your Master Password is never transmitted

You probably think I'm talking about 1Password.com there, but that's the case no matter which 1Password setup you use — the only difference being that 1Password.com data is also encrypted using the 128-bit randomly generated Secret Key, which is also never transmitted to us. So there's an additional layer of security with 1Password.com, so that it's actually more secure than a local vault. And even if someone gains access to our servers and dumps the full database (we've designed 1Password.com with this in mind), they simply don't have what they need to decrypt it, as each individual user alone has the keys to their data. So an attacker won't have that and can't get it from AgileBits. Again, it's your choice whether or not you use 1Password.com, but we wouldn't have built it at all if we couldn't offer this level of security in addition to the added convenience.

Which gets me to paid monthly model vs software. I, like many of the people here, support your company because we think you're awesome. Some of us like like to pay once for our software, have essentially our 'own copy', and that be that. We can, and should be able to, use it how we see fit from that point on.

I know how you feel because I have the same visceral reaction at times too. But the reality is that we don't own software. Only the vendor does, whether that's AgileBits, Apple, Google, etc. It can't be resold like something we can actually own, such as a car or house or phone. And you and I aren't capable of maintaining a software product ourselves like we can our property, so that it not only keeps working for us but gets better. So purchasing a license for an app is really not the same at all.

We appreciate you and all of our customers who've supported us, and that's why we've worked so hard to provide value to you through updates and support even years later, even if you only paid us for a single license once. And while you can continue to use that, at some point we do need to work on something else, so right now we're focused on 1Password.com since there's a lot we can do there that will help many people.

• oxuson
    oxuson
    Community Member
    edited July 2017

Kindly add me to the list of users who would like this feature and are deeply frustrated that it has not been added.

I use 1Password because, like MasterT, I do not want to store my passwords with the company that writes and maintains the password storage software. That's too much trust for me to put into one single company.

Brenty seems to imply that the only security issue for a password vault is whether it can be decrypted. What about others knowing the size of the vault, how that size changes over time, how often it has been accessed, and who has accessed it? Are there no security issues there? How does 1Password.com protect against third parties learning these things? And, in particular, for a shared vault, is there no security concern in a third party knowing with whom one shares one's vault? How does 1Password.com ensure that nobody will learn who I am sharing my vault with?

I do not think it is foolish to want control over where one's password vault is stored. Indeed, AgileBits did not think it was foolish when it designed this feature in the first place, which was one of the great selling points, at least for me, of 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Kindly add me to the list of users who would like this feature and are deeply frustrated that it has not been added.

@oxuson: Absolutely! Thanks for letting us know. :)

I use 1Password because, like MasterT, I do not want to store my passwords with the company that writes and maintains the password storage software. That's too much trust for me to put into one single company.

Likewise, which is why 1Password doesn't ever work that way. Regardless of what 1Password setup you use, the data is encrypted locally on the device before being transmitted. So AgileBits doesn't get the passwords (not even the one to your account when signing in, thanks to SRP), and only you ever have the means to decrypt any of your data.

Brenty seems to imply that the only security issue for a password vault is whether it can be decrypted. What about others knowing the size of the vault, how that size changes over time, how often it has been accessed, and who has accessed it? Are there no security issues there? How does 1Password.com protect against third parties learning these things? And, in particular, for a shared vault, is there no security concern in a third party knowing with whom one shares one's vault? How does 1Password.com ensure that nobody will learn who I am sharing my vault with?

The short answer is because we don't know "who" you share a vault with, only the account details they provide. Regarding storage, it sounds like you're expecting that 1Password takes your vault and uploads it as a single chunk to a server somewhere, which anyone can simply connect to to grab whatever they want. We wouldn't be comfortable with that either, for our livelihood or our own data. We use 1Password too, after all! Fortunately that isn't the case (though it makes more sense if you're coming from a local vault-centric setup). 1Password.com uses AWS S3 object stores for its database entries, and stores each encrypted object separately. So someone would have to break into AWS, get each object, and run a brute force attack on them individually (infeasible even with a weak Master Password, due to the 128-bit, randomly-generate Secret Key) to even determine if it's anything valuable.

It also sounds like you think we have a lot more information than we do. We know things like billing details for the account holder (which is no different than if you bought a license from us) because we sort of have to, but others details used for account registration (name, email, etc.) are entirely at the user's discretion. So while we can know the registered email addresses of the people with whom vaults are shared, that can be anything (I'm used to seeing anonymous email services used by 1Password users in many contexts), and we don't even know the names of user-created vaults, much less their contents. It's all UUIDs and encrypted data. Be sure to take a look in our knowledgebase for more information:

About 1Password and your privacy

TL;DR: We severely limit what we collect in the first place, and we don't share even the limited amount of information we do have with 3rd parties (except of course the payment processor, who gets payment details for billing). That releases more to privacy, but more on security later.

I do not think it is foolish to want control over where one's password vault is stored. Indeed, AgileBits did not think it was foolish when it designed this feature in the first place, which was one of the great selling points, at least for me, of 1Password.

That's good to know. I don't think it's foolish either, but it's important to keep in mind the sorts of attacks that we're trying to defend against.

We've built the security of 1Password.com with the assumption that someone will acquire the encrypted data, but it would be much easier for them to get it from you. The security through obscurity of a local vault won't protect you from the most effective attacks (going though you, since they'll need to get your Master Password anyway), and local vaults don't have the additional protection of the Secret Key, which is also used to encrypt data for a 1Password.com account. That's not to say that local vaults are insecure, only that we've taken it farther with 1Password.com due to differences in its threat model.

But you don't have to take our word for it. Crypto101 and the Applied Cryptography course are great (free) general resources, and our security white paper has information specific to how 1Password.com works. Also, apart from our own efforts, we participate in external audits and cooperate with independent security researchers to find any flaws so we can fix them.

And unlike the standalone apps and local vaults, if there is a problem we can ensure that it's fixed for all 1Password.com members, since it is centrally hosted and all the latest versions of 1Password are included, so they don't have to make a choice between paying for a new version and going without important fixes — or features and other improvements. We haven't had anything like a situation where a flaw was found in AES and local vaults all needed to be fixed, but it would be nearly impossible to ensure that all users updated in any reasonable amount of time in that scenario. There's a lot more we can do with a hosted service to keep people up to date.

• DanMelb
    DanMelb
    Community Member

I'd like to add my vote to the multiple local vaults for Android feature, for the simple reason that I'm often not online when I need to access 1Password. I perform server maintenance in a secure environment that has no wifi or mobile connectivity, and use 1Password for storing server and firmware passwords. Hence, having the vaults available on my device without the need to retrieve them from 1password.com is essential for me. This was fine while we only have the one vault, but with multiple departments within our company with their own vaults now converging, it is difficult to manage.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2017

@DanMelb: Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your comments sound like they are based on the assumption that you cannot access data in 1Password.com account offline. That just isn't the case: all of our native apps — including 1Password for Android — cache the data locally when you sign in to the account, and update it periodically when you are online, so unless changes are made while you are already offline, you'll probably have them already there on your device to access — even if you're in the electromagnetically shielded server room of the Bat Cave. :naughty:

And frankly you'd be in exactly the same situation with local vaults as well, only having up-to-date information on your device if you were able to sync it beforehand. Cheers! :)

• pmalone
    pmalone
    Community Member

+1 for Android support of multiple local vaults.

I am a longtime vocal 1password evangelist, but the change in AgileBits business model to push subscriptions will prevent me from recommending it in the future. These requests from customers are more than a year old, and it is apparent that AgileBits has made a decision to go a different direction.

• Hi @pmalone. This is something we may revisit in the future. For now, we are indeed concentrating on 1Password accounts. I'll pass your feedback on to our team. If we do revisit, we'll keep this in mind. :)

• Herbal7ea
    Herbal7ea
    Community Member

As a long time user of 1 password, and a mobile developer who recently moved to Android, and just purchased this for Android, this is disappointing. It feels ingenious and unloyal to your user base. Adding multiple sync should take no more than a quarter to implement by 1-2 developers, and most apps strive for parity of core features across platforms, of which features, multiple vaults is a big part and clearly has interest from your user base. You shouldn't charge for the Android version if this is the direction you are heading.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Herbal7ea: As a developer, I'm sure you can appreciate the irony of "should take no more than" statements. ;)

In all seriousness, our focus on 1Password.com is because the features we can offer there (like not having to deal with sync configuration) were by far what have seen the biggest demand by our customers. You may not include yourself in that, but I hope you'll understand that we need to work on things that will benefit the greatest number of people. Almost no one used multiple vaults on platforms where it has been supported.

I also don't understand comments like "You shouldn't charge for the Android version if this is the direction you are heading." If the featureset does not meet your needs, you shouldn't buy it. But it doesn't make any sense for us to give away something for free that we put a lot of work into and a lot of people find to be of value. Even if not everyone is interested in whatever product or service you offer, you still deserve to get paid for your work by those who do value it I think.

• MasterT
    MasterT
    Community Member

One other option that may be worth considering is a very slimmed down version of 1password.com for people who prefer to buy the apps and have them synchronize. That way the synchronization can be standardized to a large extent.

That may help for some people, but not necessarily for me. I have a bit of a hangup about having passwords on cloud-hosted services at all. Even if encrypted, I don't like my password vaults stored where I have to rely on other's security practices to not have my stuff broken into. I'd also like to toss my vote toward multiple vaults on the android version. Not as huge of a need for me, mainly because I have an IOS device that does have all the vaults I want on there. Still, for ease of use (like looking up a password for a work server using my phone), I would like to eventually be able to use my phone.

I do get the desire for the 1password.com emphasis. Subscription models are a lot better than license fees because it's a consistent income for your team. I actually do get that, and understand why you're doing a lot of work. I just hope that the in-app options continue to be supported and developed for those who prefer to sync/work locally and not with cloud services at all for passwords.

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

Recently i switched from iPhone to Android, and was pleased that there was really nothing on my iPhone that I could not find on Android, and often a better version. Until now. I was using the free version, and just paid to Pro in the hopes of finding the feature I needed. Oops! Should have read the forum first.

The last real discussion I found on multiple vaults for Android was in 2016. What happened to that feature? Is it ever going to happen on 1Password for Android?

Sorry, but i love this product, but not being able to access the two vaults on Dropbox as I could in the iOS version is a real problem. I cannot merge the two (one is shared, one is not on Dropbox). Kind of stuck here.

The Pro version was cheap enough so I have no hard feeling on paying for it, but this is a serious parity issue between all the other versions and this one that really should be addressed.

Can someone at Agile coment please? Thank you

1Password Version: 6,7,1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Android 7.0
    Sync Type: Icloud
    Referrer: forum-search:Is there a way to open multiple vaults in Android?

• Hi @MasterT. Thanks for the feedback! While I understand your apprehension regarding syncing through our servers, I highly recommend you take a look into our security model. 1Password is and has always been designed with the worst case scenario in mind. We've built 1Password to protect your data even in the hands of an attacker. No matter how you sync, your data is end to end encrypted locally, with keys we never have. We are indeed recommending 1Password memberships as they're the best way to use 1Password, but we still support the standalone version along with it. That said, we don't have plans to support multiple standalone vaults on Android at this time. I can't say that it's something we'll ever support, but I'll pass the feedback on to our team.

@MajorHavoc I hope you don't mind, but I merged your discussion with this one on the same subject.

1Password 6 for Android has support for multiple vaults when using a 1Password account. However, multiple standalone vaults are not supported, nor do we have plans to support multiple standalone vaults at the moment. If you want to switch to an account, there are lots of benefits. If you do decide to do that, email support+android@agilebits.com and we'll look into your recent purchase and see if we can help there. Thanks!

• MajorHavoc
    MajorHavoc
    Community Member
    edited February 2018

This is the most disappointing answer I have ever received from this company. So bad, that I have to stop recommending you to friends, colleagues, and on our podcasts and reviews.

The real,problem here is the self-serving nature of your response. Of course you recommend Password 6 with a subscription so you can charge me money every month. I call foul on this answer. It’s not an answer, it’s an advertisement to get a lot more money. It is in your company’s best interest, not mine.

I am VERY against renting software, I find the practice benefits the developer, not the user in most cases. I have stopped buying Adobe products for that very reason, and will now stop buying your products as well.

That lack of parity between iOS and Android is disappointing, and frankly, a bit strange. As said above, most developers strive for platform parity. IOS may be popular, but have you actually paid attention to the numbers of Android vs iPhones out there? And your answer is to treat Android users as second class citizens? How’s that working for you? And how would you know multiple vaults is unpopular on Android? It’s not there to know!

I will be shopping for another solution, and spending my money elsewhere. I have spent a good deal of money on 1Password, and probably brought close to a hundred customers or more to the platform. I feel very let down by this decision.

Just curious, has there been a major management change in the last few years, or did you get bought by someone? You used to be a company that truly cared about customer satisfaction, and had a good product at a reasonable price. I paid for every upgrade. Sad to see that has gone, replaced by the greedy rental model. Not really impressed anymore.

As for caring about my data, that rings hollow. If you cared, you would allow me to access it in a well established, cross platform way as I have for what, 10+ years on other platforms. Oh well.

Very sad and disappointing. Off to find a new solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

This is the most disappointing answer I have ever received from this company. So bad, that I have to stop recommending you to friends, colleagues, and on our podcasts and reviews. The real,problem here is the self-serving nature of your response. Of course you recommend Password 6 with a subscription so you can charge me money every month. I call foul on this answer. It’s not an answer, it’s an advertisement to get a lot more money.

@MajorHavoc: I'm sorry to hear that, but that was an answer. No foul. Now, I appreciate this wasn't the answer you wanted to hear, but I don't see how that makes it "bad". Would you prefer we be less straightforward and lead you to believe that we are planning to add support for multiple local vaults to 1Password for Android in the near future, so that you can continue recommending 1Password based on that? It seems a bit wrong-headed to fault us for honesty. We could just as easily tell you what you want to hear, but I don't see the benefit there. It isn't part of our culture to mislead people. I'm sure we have at some point out of excitement, thinking we'd be able to ship a feature that didn't work out (I seem to remember something like that happening with WebDAV). So I don't quite understand why you'd fault someone for being upfront with you. Nothing is written in stone, so it's possible that multiple local vaults could be added in the future, but since that is unlikely based on the information we have today I think it's right that Peri's answer reflected that.

It is in your company’s best interest, not mine. I am VERY against renting software, I find the practice benefits the developer, not the user in most cases. I have stopped buying Adobe products for that very reason, and will now stop buying your products as well.

A 1Password.com membership is in your best interest if you want to take advantage of the features that offers. In this case, that would be multiple vaults, though there are many others. It really sounds like you're saying it doesn't benefit the user based on absolutely nothing: if you haven't tried 1Password.com you really just don't have any frame of reference. We do, however, have many customers who are satisfied 1Password.com members, so I think we should defer to them when it comes to judging how well we're doing there. This isn't a holy war. If you don't want to use 1Password.com, that's fine. No one is going to make you. But just as you wanting multiple local vaults doesn't mean everyone else does, you not wanting a membership doesn't mean that others don't find it valuable. This is demonstrably true.

That lack of parity between iOS and Android is disappointing, and frankly, a bit strange. As said above, most developers strive for platform parity. IOS may be popular, but have you actually paid attention to the numbers of Android vs iPhones out there?

We have many, many more users on iOS than on Android. That's just how it is. 1Password for iOS not only has several years' head start on the Android version (and also shares code with the Mac app), so that's why they're not the same. And having 1Password.com as a standard featureset actually makes the parity you're demanding much more feasible going forward. Multiple vaults is a fantastic example of that, since that's built in at the server level. If you want to pay for the standalone app, that's fine; but you get the features built into that, no more no less. It just doesn't entitle you to benefit from the work we've done in the service you're not paying for.

And your answer is to treat Android users as second class citizens? How’s that working for you? And how would you know multiple vaults is unpopular on Android? It’s not there to know!

You're the only one referring to Android users as "second class citizens", and if I had an emotional connection to OSes I'd probably be offended by the idea. Aside from that, the fact is that multiple vaults have been one of the least popular features of 1Password historically, so it just didn't make sense for us to rearchitect the app to support them when there was so little interest.

I will be shopping for another solution, and spending my money elsewhere. I have spent a good deal of money on 1Password, and probably brought close to a hundred customers or more to the platform. I feel very let down by this decision.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not satisfied with the features you've paid for. As Peri mentioned, if you've made a purchase recently, I'd encourage you to contact us at support@agilebits.com with the details so we can see if there's a way we can help.

Just curious, has there been a major management change in the last few years, or did you get bought by someone?

Nope. We're an independent Canadian software company. And we charge sustainable prices for our products so we can continue to be.

You used to be a company that truly cared about customer satisfaction, and had a good product at a reasonable price.

We care about customer satisfaction, but not at the expense of common sense. We need to prioritize the things that do the most good for the greatest number of people, and multiple vaults are rarely used at all, on any platform. The only reason multiple vault usage has going up recently is because of the work we've done building support for simple, secure sharing in 1Password.com, so that teams and families can take advantage of that. So that's what we're focused on in that regard.

I paid for every upgrade. Sad to see that has gone, replaced by the greedy rental model. Not really impressed anymore.

While we'd prefer to impress you rather than disappoint you, I think in this case there's a fundamental misunderstanding: you don't "own" any software you pay for; only the creator does. That's the reality. And if you think it's greedy for us to get paid on an ongoing basis for ongoing work, I'm not sure what to tell you. I really hope you didn't get paid only once for something you're still working on today.

As for caring about my data, that rings hollow. If you cared, you would allow me to access it in a well established, cross platform way as I have for what, 10+ years on other platforms.

Hyperbole aside, you can use 1Password cross-platform. I have for years, including on Android. But as with many other things in life, you don't get what you haven't paid for. I suspect people don't get the benefit of your work without paying as well.

Oh well. Very sad and disappointing. Off to find a new solution.

While this isn't what we want to hear either, we're not going to begrudge you your choice as you have ours. We'd prefer you use something else that better fits your needs than nothing at all. Stay safe out there.

This discussion has been closed.