Moving Info from IOS to 1Password Account

angie418
angie418
Community Member

I've tried following some of the guides online and I must be inept! I have 1Password on my iOS device and backing up to iCloud. I now have signed up for a 1Password account (not teams or family) - just an individual account. I have downloaded the 1Password app for MAC and I don't know how to move my information from my iOS device to my account. I need the dummy steps. The guide I saw online only applied to Team and Family accounts, AND if you had the MAC app downloaded and used. HELP!

1Password Version: 6.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Cloud

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @angie418,

I’m sorry that this process is frustrating for you. Have you seen these instructions?

Move your existing 1Password data into a 1Password account

They were written specifically for iOS and should guide you through the process, but if anything there doesn’t make sense, please let me know!

• Evannave84
    Evannave84
    Community Member

This process is quite frustrating. I am having exactly the same issue as the OP. The instructions provided on Megan's link are not matching up with my devices. I have logins on 1Password on my iOS device, which are synced via iCloud. I have an individual account set up on my Mac, which was successfully configured on iOS. Additionally, when I try to set up iCloud sync on the Mac the console does not present the icon options that appear on the tutorials. Like the first post stated, I feel like I need the dummy steps.

• I'm sorry for the trouble, folks.

Please let us know where what you are seeing differs from the instructions. Which step, exactly, is where things deviate? What is different? Please note that the instructions you're shown on the page Megan linked will be for iOS. So for example if you intend to do the migration from a Mac opening that page on iOS and trying to follow along by default will not be that helpful (as you'll be seeing the instructions for iOS).

Also please note that at the moment the move using iOS is an item-by-item process, which can be quite time consuming. We're trying to come up with a solution that will allow items to be moved en masse, but for now if you have a computer available (preferably a Mac) I'd recommend doing the migration from there.

The Mac instructions can be found on that same page, but are hidden if viewing from iOS. They can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/?mac#set-up-the-apps-and-import-your-data

Ben

• kiss_kalman
    kiss_kalman
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. The iOS instruction states the following but I have an issue with the section highlighted with bold:
    "If you have more than one vault, 1Password won’t ask to move your data to your new account. You can still move items manually. Scroll up in the item list and tap Select Items. Select the item(s) you want to move. Then tap Move, and tap the Personal vault in your new account."

I assume I need to open 1Password on my iPhone, go to Categories, and there I should see Select Items. I do not see that anywhere. The top right corner only shows the + sign, if I scroll up, I only see the Search field, if I scroll down I only see the last item, but no Select Items in sight.

The only solution I found was to open each item individually, scroll to the bottom and tap Move and Copy…, and tap Move to Vault. Doing this for my 100+ items seems cumbersome.

The same on iPad.

I have all my data on iOS. Any way to transfer it to Mac so I can move it to my Family Vault?

Thanks, Kalman

• Kalman,

My apologies. It appears this guide was updated prematurely. The instructions shown are for an upcoming version of 1Password.

You can certainly sync your data over to your Mac first so that you can then migrate from there:

Sync your 1Password data

Thanks!

Ben

• mdowman
    mdowman
    Community Member

Data migration is my issue as well. I've been using 1Password for IOS since 2011. I am on IOS version 6.4.5 1Password Pro. I have decided today to add my Mac and get a family plan so I opened a 1Password account and downloaded the 1Password App for Mac Version 6.5.2 (652003). I have added my account information into IOS App under Setting>Add Account and now I am stumped. I know that I backup to iCloud and have 350+ entries of data. How do I get the data from the Phone (or iCloud) into the Mac App. The link you shared shows a "Sync" tool in Preferences but my version does not have a Sync or the ability to point to iCloud at all.

• tormodg
    tormodg
    Community Member

I am dissapointed about how difficult this is - and I am completely lost.

I have been a 1Password user for years, and finally my workplace started using it as well. So I figured I'd sign up for a personal account to more easily sync my personal info into the 1Password at work.

But as soon as I set it up on my Mac, all my personal info was gone. I can't import the old info either, it requires a 1PIF file but all I have is the dropbox sync file from before. I find no way to read this file.

On my iPhone, all my data is still in the Primary Vault. I find absolutely no way to move this anywhere.

I have tried both the guides linked above. The last one share by Ben is compeletely incomprehensible. It simple says "sign up and your data will be there". But no...my Primary Vault is not available anywhere but on my iPhone.

Please help me get my Primary Vault moved into my new Personal account. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016

@mdowman, @tormodg: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! When you setup 1Password with an account for the subscription service, it does not have sync settings since all of that is handled automatically. If you setup the app with an account, it doesn't create a local vault for you since that would be equally confusing when its data did not appear on 1Password.com or any of your other devices.

In 1Password for Mac though, you can enable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced. Then you'll be able to configure sync with iCloud and migrate your data to your 1Password Account.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kiss_kalman
    kiss_kalman
    Community Member

Dear Ben and brenty, thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, I do not have a Sync tab under Preferences, so I cannot Sync through iCloud (or anything else). Is there anything I can do?

• @kiss_kalman,

Did you check the box in Preferences > Advanced that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts?" Without this box checked you will not have a sync tab.

Please let us know.

Thanks!

Ben

• kiss_kalman
    kiss_kalman
    Community Member

Excellent, Ben, thank you!!

• You're most welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.