my safari toolbar extension for 1Password does not work unless I disable it and then re-enable it.

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

I saw that someone had this same/similar problem back in December of 2015. It was resolved via email and I couldn't find an article in the knowledge base.

I recently started using 1PW exclusively with Safari (I was a devoted Firefox user up until 10/10/2016) current version of 1PW 6.3.5 .

I have reinstalled the 1PW safari extension version 4.6.1 a couple of times and it's set to autoupdates. I'm using macOS Sierra 10.12.1. I've had three work arounds as follows:
1. I reinstall the safari extension and it works,
2. I delete the 1PW safari tool bar icon and then add it back to the tool bar-this isn't consistent for working (this was the issue reported in Dec 2015)
3. I login into 1PW using the mini icon or desktop app.

Once one of these is done the safari tool bar icon will bring up the login info for the website I'm visiting.

Help!

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1pw icon in safari toolbar will not allow login

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lov2krz: Very odd. Do you have the same issue in other browsers too, or only Safari? It sounds like Safari's extension database may simply be damaged.

Since it sounds like you've tried nearly everything else, it may be necessary to reset Safari's extensions database:

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G (Shift Command G) to open a Go to folder window.
    2. Use the following location: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to the Trash.
    4. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/ or using a Spotlight search.
    5. Search for safari and right-click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.
    6. In Finder go to the following folder (using the same method as detailed in step 1) to go to ~/Library/Safari/
    7. Drag the entire Extensions folder to the Trash
    8. Then restart you Mac and Safari, which will recreate the folder and hopefully sort out any permissions issues as well

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Brent, so I followed your instructions, very easy to follow, and after I did everything my Safari 1PW icon worked like a charm. Then today when I tried to login to this site nothing happened. I logged into 1PW mini then I was able to use the safari toolbar icon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up. You're too kind! Just looking at the instructions again now, my eyes are starting to cross, but I suppose that's as clear as can be for what needed to be done. :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's working for you now. We're here if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty, I guess you didn't understand. The Safari 1PW toolbar icon continues to not work correctly :'( . In order to get the toolbar icon to provide a login I need to first login into the main program either using the program icon on my desktop or the mini icon in the menu bar. Should I leave my computer for 30 minutes the safari toolbar icon will require another program login as noted above.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lov2krz: Doh! I'm sorry! When you said "worked like a charm" and then "nothing happened" I thought you meant you didn't encounter the issue anymore. :(

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, try using the Safari extension, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

brenty, thanks for the instructions. I generated the report and a description of the issue plus the link to this thread. Looking forward to a permanent solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lov2krz: Likewise! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: VFF-83775-231

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I responded to an email yesterday (11/9/16) asking if it occurred only after waking up and working ok upon restart. The issues persists regardless of status. Once I login into 1PW mini or program itself Safari 1PW toolbar icon will start to respond only after I have logged in to a website using mini or program.

Has there been any progress made?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lov2krz,

I see that someone from our team has already replied to your latest email and is waiting to hear back from you (if you didn't receive the email, please make sure you check any junk folders/spam filters to see if it was caught there). We'll keep the conversation going directly via email so we don't duplicate our efforts or cause confusion between here and there. Thanks! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I finally had a chance to restart my Mac. I did a restart and generated a report on the virgin restart referencing my support case number. I then opened Safari and tried to to use the Safari Icon and when I clicked it got an error message saying it couldn't find the Program. I then generated a new diagnostic report, by deleting the zip and app file in downloads and re downloading the diagnostic report zip file, and also sent a screen shot of the error message referencing my support case number.

Hopefully the differences in the two reports will help you guys figure it out.

I only got the Safari Icon to work after I logged in to the main program and used the mini icon to load a login to a FireFox website I visit often. I went back to Safari then hit retry on the error page and it worked Okie Dokie.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lov2krz: Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

This discussion has been closed.