Is copy and paste safe?

Is it safe when i copy and paste my paswword? Is my clipboard encrypted (keepass encrypted clipboard)?

When no, can i use 1Password without browser extentions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brtsos: The Windows clipboard is not encrypted no matter which app you copy data from. While it's certainly possible to encrypt data before copying it to the clipboard, it will then still be encrypted when you paste it — not particularly useful.

But while I wouldn't call the clipboard "secure", it is safe to use provided you don't have untrusted software running on your machine (which will also have access to the clipboard, since it's system-wide). You can, of course, use 1Password without browser extensions, but using the extensions to fill is more secure than using copy and paste since only 1Password has access to it until it is entered into the webpage — and this is significantly more convenient as well.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• brtsos
    brtsos
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

Thanks for reply.

I use 1Password on Windows and OSX/iOS. In Keepass can we drag on drop the password. Is it secure? Can you it implement?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brtsos: Instead of drag and drop, passwords can be filled using the 1Password browser extensions (on the desktop version) or the 1Password iOS extension. That way the system clipboard (which all apps have access to) is bypassed completely — only 1Password is used. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.