Concerns about the quality of the windows version and lack of functionality

Hello,

For months now i have been using 1 password at our office for managing our customers passwords. [Unfortunately on mac and on windows, since the linux version is so bad that its useless]

Your product works but it has a couple of critical flaws that really make me want to throw my surfacebook out of the window sometimes.

It feels like the core development of this application is for a very small group (mac users) while the real power users (who benefit the most from a proper working password database) [Windows / Linux users] are left out with half working applications. (i would swap back to linux instantly if you guys actually released a decent client. there is not even an option to load all the vaults from our company/team...)

1 Password has some really weird bugs :

a ) lots of times you start entering your master password after it "locks" and it automaticly unlocks during typing of password. Sometimes even adding your letters to the search bar. this kinda makes the entire locking solution "useless".

b ) There is no way to properly adjust the view of the interface. In my opinion this alone would be enough to swap to a different application or even revert back to excel sheets on a truecrypt container. How hard is it to program an interface that allows you to "size" the compartments or change the layout to something proper. Only the mac version has limited options to do this.

c ) Searching barely works : We use logical names for everything and 50-60% of the time i cannot find the proper account even though i know the keywords. Doing a Control + F in a notepad or excel sheet would be more efficient then looking it up in 1 password.

d ) Lag in the interface : Our database holds around 5000 items and it is really slow from time to time. It has nothing to do with the computers (all state of the art high end machines). It really has to do with the application coding.

These are all critical points in my opinion that should be addressed.

Now i only made this post so your developers can get coding on the issues. In januari our license for 1 password will need to be replaced, my personal choice would not be 1password for renewal at this point.

thank you for reading and i hope you will address these critical issues (in my eyes)

1Password Version: latest
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Team version

Comments

• Hi @Danny_bit4u,

Thanks for writing in.

We don't offer any *NIX version of 1Password nor do we support it at all. We'd like to offer a native version for *NIX but we don't have a timeframe on that.

As for 1Password 6 for Windows, it is actually a very young codebase that only had its first stable release last month and it is only meant to be used by 1Password Teams customers that needs a Windows app to use since we don't have a previous version of 1Password that can use 1Password.com services. We're rolling 1Password 6 out in stages as the first one won't have all the features implemented.

We're quickly building up the 1Password 6 to implement all of the features that other 1Password apps have, including 1Password 4 for Windows.

a ) lots of times you start entering your master password after it "locks" and it automaticly unlocks during typing of password. Sometimes even adding your letters to the search bar. this kinda makes the entire locking solution "useless".

This is the first time we've heard of this, we have not seen this before. 1Password 6 is coded to only lock when you stop using the keyboard and mouse for 10 minutes. There is also no way the app can unlock without a complete password as it needs that value to decrypt the data.

Can you tell us what version of 1Password 6 is installed on your computer? Open 1Password 6, unlock, and click on Settings on top right, the installed version number will show up on the bottom of the Settings menu.

Also, can you tell me if you use any shortcut that is identical to "Win Key + Shift + L"? We use that shortcut to lock the app and we saw a case where someone had AutoHotKey script that used that shortcut and it was causing 1Password app to lock randomly.

b ) There is no way to properly adjust the view of the interface. In my opinion this alone would be enough to swap to a different application or even revert back to excel sheets on a truecrypt container. How hard is it to program an interface that allows you to "size" the compartments or change the layout to something proper. Only the mac version has limited options to do this.

This will be improved in a future update to 1Password 6, we haven't optimized the UI yet as we're still focused on the core features.

c ) Searching barely works : We use logical names for everything and 50-60% of the time i cannot find the proper account even though i know the keywords. Doing a Control + F in a notepad or excel sheet would be more efficient then looking it up in 1 password.

Search is limited to single-word titles/tags only right now, it does not do a full text search. This will be added in a future update.

d ) Lag in the interface : Our database holds around 5000 items and it is really slow from time to time. It has nothing to do with the computers (all state of the art high end machines). It really has to do with the application coding.

Can you tell us where it is lagging specifically? I have 20K items in my database and didn't see any major lags. There are cases where if 1Password detects a remote change in the database, the UI does a complete database reload and that can cause the UI to struggle for a second. We're improving this to reduce the sync impact on the UI and the next update will have a better UI responsiveness in this area.

These are all critical points in my opinion that should be addressed.

We agree and they will be improved over time.

This discussion has been closed.