Questions about 1Password 6 for Windows

This discussion was created from comments split from: Autofill working but not auto submitting.

Comments

• PasswordSaver
    PasswordSaver
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty . Yes, just tried in Firefox, and autosubmit is working. Hoping this gets fixed in Chrome soon.

I'm a new 1Password user, and have a few additional questions:

1) I noticed that there is no Internet Explorer browser extension. Any reason this was not built, and any future plans for this ?
    2) I recently read in the forum that the Edge browser extension is coming. Any ETA on that ?
    3) When I click the 1Password browser extension icon (in either Firefox or Chrome) and then search for a login, and click the login name, the web site opens up in the currently open tab. Any way to get the web site to open up in a new tab ? Conversely, when I launch 1PasswordMini via Ctrl+Alt+\ and then search for and launch a login, the web site does open in a new tab in my default browser. I would like the same behavior (clicking login after search opens site in new tab) when using the browser plugins as well.
    4) In the options, there is a setting named 'Copy TOTP value to clipboard after fill'. Can you please explain what checking this option does ?
    5) In the options, there is a setting to 'Include beta builds'. On average, how often are new beta builds published ?
    6) If I install a beta build, and encounter a major issue, what is the process to roll back to the previously installed (working) version ?

Thanks,
    Mario

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear that helped, Mario. For the rest of your questions, I've split this into another discussion since it more properly relates to the Windows app than to the browser extensions. One bit of this that I can answer is that we are working on the groundwork that will make an Edge extension possible, but I can't give you an ETA. The Microsoft team has been really helpful and are keeping us up-to-date with their progress and there should be an Insider build that has the APIs we need within a few weeks. There are some things we can do while we wait on that, though, so we're not standing still and when the new build is ready for us, we'll be ready to give it some testing as well.

Sorry I can't be more definitive in my answer, but please know Edge is on our radar and we're working with Microsoft to make a 1Password extension a reality there.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• Hi @PasswordSaver,

While Jamie has answered your question about Edge, I'd be happy to answer the rest for you:

1) I noticed that there is no Internet Explorer browser extension. Any reason this was not built, and any future plans for this ?

Internet Explorer uses a legacy binary add-on API that requires us to build a whole new extension, different from what we use in the rest of the browsers including Edge when it is ready. We actually reuse almost 99% of the extension code for all of the browsers but none of it can be reused in IE.

Right now, our focus is on Edge as that's where Microsoft is pushing all of its effort to support and maintain.

We do want to add support for IE in the future but there isn't a timeframe. We do support IE with 1Password 4 for Windows but again, it is not something we can reuse with 1Password 6 as 1Password 6 is a radically different program.

3) When I click the 1Password browser extension icon (in either Firefox or Chrome) and then search for a login, and click the login name, the web site opens up in the currently open tab. Any way to get the web site to open up in a new tab ? Conversely, when I launch 1PasswordMini via Ctrl+Alt+\ and then search for and launch a login, the web site does open in a new tab in my default browser. I would like the same behavior (clicking login after search opens site in new tab) when using the browser plugins as well.

This is not yet possible when you click on the 1Password icon, it's meant to be focused for the current tab. When you open 1Password mini via Control + Alt + \, that doesn't indicate you want to use it on the current tab, so it opens in a new tab.

This will be improved in a future update with an option to let you choose how you'd like 1Password mini to open the site.

4) In the options, there is a setting named 'Copy TOTP value to clipboard after fill'. Can you please explain what checking this option does ?

When you use a website that requires two-factor authentication or more technically, time-based one-time password (TOTP), it asks for the time-limited TOTP token after you log in. What this option does is allow 1Password to make your life a little bit easier by copying the TOTP token automatically to your clipboard as soon you sign in and you can just press Control + V to the TOTP field to complete the log-in process quickly.

The current 1Password browser extensions doesn't know how to deal with TOTP fields, so that's why we've added an extra option for the moment.

5) In the options, there is a setting to 'Include beta builds'. On average, how often are new beta builds published ?

It really depends on what we're working at the moment. During the beta stage of development in the previous summer, we were shipping beta builds daily, sometime twice a day. After we've shipped the first stable update last month, we've went from daily to biweekly for new beta versions. Once a new beta version is available, we can sometime ship follow-up fixes daily until it is ready to be shipped as a stable update. In the last beta version, we've only shipped one update before it became available as a stable version, so it can vary.

6) If I install a beta build, and encounter a major issue, what is the process to roll back to the previously installed (working) version ?

Simply uninstall it and download the latest stable or previous beta build from the site. Your 1Password data is stored separately from the app files, so you can reinstall different builds without it touching your database.

Please do file a bug report before you do this in our beta forums here, so we can get information about why the problem has occurred.

• PasswordSaver
    PasswordSaver
    Community Member

Thanks for your detailed response @MikeT .

A follow-up question about the TOTP option:

What this option does is allow 1Password to make your life a little bit easier by copying the TOTP token automatically to your clipboard as soon you sign in and you can just press Control + V to the TOTP field to complete the log-in process quickly.

Where does it automatically copy the TOTP token from ? Typically, the TOTP token is sent to a separate device such as your cell phone. Or did you mean that the user receives the TOTP on their device, and then enters the TOTP into the web page in their browser, and that's when it's copied ? In which case, what is the copied TOTP value used for ? (since I've already entered the TOTP value manually )

Just trying to understand the use case this feature is meant to address.

Thanks,
    Mario

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @PasswordSaver,

Where does it automatically copy the TOTP token from?

1Password is being used as the TOTP authenticator in this case, so it's from within your Login's item that's storing your TOTP secret.

Typically, the TOTP token is sent to a separate device such as your cell phone

Not always and SMS is not a secure method to get TOTP token, in fact, they're going to phase out SMS as a method in the near future.

TOTP is sent to the TOTP authenticator that you've chosen with the website when you scan the QR barcode image or store the secret in. In this case, you can choose 1Password as the TOTP authenticator.

If you don't choose 1Password as the authenticator, then there's no secret stored in your Login item and nothing is copied to your clipboard.

• PasswordSaver
    PasswordSaver
    Community Member

Thanks for clarifying, @MikeT

I did not know that 1Password could also be used as an Authenticator app.
    I reviewed the video on this page: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords and I could not find a way to create a new field for OTP under an area labeled 'Section' as described in the video.

Does the feature where you can add a custom field for OTP only currently work on Macs ? (I'm using Windows 10) . In which case, the 'Copy TOTP value to clipboard after fill' checkbox would not be functional under Windows (at least as of now), correct ?

Thanks,
    Mario

• MikeT
    edited November 2016

Hi @PasswordSaver,

The custom field/section editing support is coming very soon, we're testing it now with internal builds and hope to have it available as a beta update soon.

For now, you can work around this by using the 1Password.com web app with Firefox or Chrome on your PC, which does let you add TOTP custom fields.

• PasswordSaver
    PasswordSaver
    Community Member

Thanks @MikeT .

I used the 1Password.com web app in Chrome, and was able to setup a custom OTP field, and I also checked the 'Copy TOTP value to clipboard after fill' checkbox, and verified that's it's working properly.

I noticed an issue when trying to create the custom OTP field in the 1Password.com web app in Chrome. When I created the new OTP field, and clicked the ellipses next the field, and selected 'One-Time Password', there is no QR code button that appears to the left of the ellipses button, as described in the video on this page: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords

I had to manually enter the code provided by the website I was setting up 2-factor authentication for.

Is the QR code button missing when adding a custom OTP field a known issue ? If not, can this be added to your bug/feature list to fix ?

Thanks,
    Mario

• Hi @PasswordSaver,

I'm glad you got it working now.

Is the QR code button missing when adding a custom OTP field a known issue

It's not a known issue due to how QR barcode is usually handled, you usually scan it with a camera, it's not something that apps or websites would handle for you on the fly. However, I've filed a request for the web team to see if it is possible to let you drag in a QR image to let the web app decode it.

As for 1Password 6 for Windows, initially it will do the same, requiring you to input the secret manually but we will add support to let you drag the barcode in like we already do for dragging your 1Password.com barcode for signing in to your 1Password account.

• PasswordSaver
    PasswordSaver
    Community Member

@MikeT

It's not a known issue due to how QR barcode is usually handled, you usually scan it with a camera, it's not something that apps or websites would handle for you on the fly. However, I've filed a request for the web team to see if it is possible to let you drag in a QR image to let the web app decode it.

Looks like the Mac 1Password app already has the QR code button, as described in this video https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords, allowing you to scan QR codes from your desktop computer.

See attached screenshot.

It would be nice to have this same QR code functionality in the web app and the Windows app.

Thanks,
    Mario

• Hi @PasswordSaver,

I wasn't clear about what I was trying to say, I apologize.

What you're seeing in that screenshot is 1Password capturing images in real time within that small window to look for a QR barcode and once detected, it can decode it to put the secret inside your item in 1Password. This is the capability that native apps can do but for a website, it is not that capable yet, it can't just leave the browser, create a small window for you to drag around and scan an image. There are some web browsers that can use your webcam to capture images but this is only useful if you have a barcode printed out or it is on your mobile device.

Normally, you scan QR barcode with a camera on your mobile device or with the webcam on the computer itself, the purpose of the QR barcode is to transmit data between two devices, not between two websites, which is why this has to be manually coded within 1Password apps on all platforms.

We do plan to add this to 1Password 6 for Windows but it may not be as smooth as macOS with the realtime image capture. Instead, it can try to take a screenshot of your barcode image or let you drag in an image file of that barcode, which is much easier to do.

This discussion has been closed.