"cannot add two accounts from the same family or team" when adding *individual* account

I want to use three accounts with 1Password, all of them are the newer hosted type:

1) Personal (Individual account; I pay per month)
2) Day Job (1Password for Teams; my employer pays per month)
3) Night Gig (Individual account; my single-member LLC pays per month)

I'm using 1Password 6.3.1 for Mac. I have the first two accounts added, and all seems well up to that point. However, when I go to add the third account, I get the error:

1 Password Account Cannot Be Added
A member from John Doe has already been added to 1Password.
You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team.

(sub John Doe for my real first and last name)

I don't understand the error. None of the three accounts are from the same family or team. In fact accounts #1 and #3 are freshly created individual accounts, so there's no way they could be on the same team or family.

Is this a bug?

The only other explanation I can think of, is that it's not allowed to have two individual accounts. That I need to use a "for Teams" account for #3 and pay the extra dollar a month even though there will only be 1 member? If that's the case, the error is very poorly worded and there's also no mention of this on the signup pages or in any other place on the website that I could find.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1Password accounts

Comments

• goldenratio
    goldenratio
    Community Member

I tried adding the accounts in a different order and unfortunately it seems to confirm my theory that you can't add two individual accounts.

• Started with only the 1Password for Teams account (#2 in my original post)
    • Added the "Night Gig" individual account successfully (#3 in the OP)
    • Tried adding my personal individual account (#1 in the OP)

At this point I get the same error (except the name has changed in the error message).

So... it's when I try to add a second individual account that 1Password for Mac throws the error.

• Hi @goldenratio,

Unfortunately that is currently the case. We do plan to allow that in a future update. In the mean time you should be able to sign into one of the individual accounts in the app, and the other on the website. The caveat is that doesn't get you browser extension support for the one you have to sign into the website for.

Hopefully we'll have this updated soon.

Ben

• goldenratio
    goldenratio
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess my other option is to just pay for Teams for the third account. I read elsewhere I can't downgrade that to an individual account later though, which kinda turns me off, since there's only one user on that account currently.

I think I'll just keep doing what I was doing for now, which is syncing via Dropbox. Hopefully the support for multiple individual accounts comes soon.

If I could make one suggestion in the interim -- please do better at communicating these types of restrictions to your users up front. It's frustrating when things don't work right, the error messages aren't clear, and we have to come here to understand what's going on. I had a similar experience with a lack of Android features. It would go a long way to just say something like "please note: we currently only support one individual account at a time" on the account creation page.

• If you only have, and only plan to have, one person as part of the team... the price difference isn't much to subscribe to 1Password Teams vs 1Password. That said, you really wouldn't get much if any benefit from it. This should be a fairly short term situation. Honestly it would probably take longer to get that text added to the page than it'll take our development team to make the appropriate changes to the apps. ;)

Ben

P.S. It isn't that you can't go from 1Password Teams to an individual account, but the migration would take some manual work. There isn't a 1-click solution.

• goldenratio
    goldenratio
    Community Member

@Ben is this issue resolved yet? (The ability to have two or more individual accounts in 1Password)

• Thanks for checking in! We're looking into adding this capability in the future. That's the update I've got for now. Hopefully we'll have something for you and others soon. :)

• goldenratio
    goldenratio
    Community Member

Thanks Jacob. If you would please revisit my earlier suggestion in this thread then -- please do a better job communicating this restriction to your users up front. It would go a long way to just say something like "please note: we currently only support one individual account at a time" on the account creation page. I brought this up earlier and Ben responded "Honestly it would probably take longer to get that text added to the page than it'll take our development team to make the appropriate changes to the apps." Really!? Looks like that didn't pan out. ;-)

• I appreciate the feedback. Warnings when creating an account may not be the solution, though. We try to focus on the positive elements of 1Password. After all, in the world of password management, there's enough to think about (the main one being what is password management?). We do have a message in the apps as you mentioned, and that is something we're going to keep around until we add support for multiple accounts from the same team or family. Sorry, I just want to be clear. Hope that helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

@goldenratio: Just an FYI: Ben wasn't kidding: this was added to the beta channel two weeks later (build #650015). You're welcome to use the beta at any time (Preferences > Updates) if you're in a hurry for this feature, or just sit tight and you'll get it when the new version is finalized. Cheers! :)

• hugodes
    hugodes
    Community Member

This is awesome, came here looking for a solution and the 1password team is one step ahead of me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry it isn't available to all 1Password users yet, but we're working hard to get the next version ready for everyone. Keep an eye out for updates! :chuffed:

• hugodes
    hugodes
    Community Member

I can't seem to find the 650015 build here https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4#beta , any updates on this feature ?
    Cheers

• @hugodes This was added in version 6.5:

Fixed an issue preventing two my.1password.com accounts from being added at one time. {OPM-4312}

You can now add two individual accounts to 1Password for Mac, since the app is currently at version 6.5.2. :) Hope that helps!

• blackwell
    blackwell
    Community Member

Is this possible on iOS? I am trying to add two individual accounts from a Family on the same iPhone and I am getting the "1Password Account Cannot Be Added" error.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blackwell: Almost, but not yet. 1Password for iOS version 6.5 hasn't been released publicly, but we have it in beta. Keep an eye out for updates! :)

• hugodes
    hugodes
    Community Member

@Jacob My bad, I wanted to add two accounts from the same team, but I just realised this is not what the OP was about. Thanks for your reply though

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Any time! We're here if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.