Is there a reason to keep a Primary vault?

reagan9000
reagan9000
Community Member

I've installed Families and migrated my family over, so that our personal vault on your server as well as shared vault.

I haven't actually deleted data from my primary vault - too scared of the process I guess. However now that my 1Password data is all server-based, is there any reason why I'd keep a local vault, or a vault on a shared drive? I'm not looking to do anything weird or terribly complicated; just want to make sure that I'm not missing an obvious reason, since it seems to be difficult to remove the Primary vault without reinitializing the app.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sierra
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• Hi @reagan9000,

In most cases, there's no real reason to keep that primary vault around unless you have a specific reason to do so. You can remove the Primary vault by selecting the vault, then using the 1Password > Delete Vault... menu item, or going into Preferences > Advanced, and unchecking the checkbox at the bottom that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." Upon doing so, it's going to guide you through the process of changing what's used to unlock 1Password. Once it's done you'll be unlocking the app with your 1Password Families account password.

The sync vault on the shared drive won't get touched at all by this process. You could keep it around "just in case" if you wanted. I still have a folder full of my old AgileKeychain and OPVault files... but I might be a bit of a digital hoarder.

Hope this helps.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.