Migrating from 1Password 4 for Windows to 1Password 6 - questions

southernforge
southernforge
Community Member
edited December 2016 in Families

Good Morning,
I had been using 1Password 4 with a primary vault for several years, and recently switched to using 1Password 6, and have noticed some odd differences between the applications, and that has led to some questions. I have searched the forum already, but likely missed the answer I was seeking, so thank you in advance for your patience.

1. Is 1P 4 capable of supporting a Families account, or is 1P 6 required for using Families (i.e., Personal/Shared vaults)?
  2. After I installed 1P 6 and installed the browser extension for Chrome, the helper that showed up was still the 1P 4 browser extension; can versions 4 and 6 coexist on a Windows PC, and if so, how do I control which browser helper is active?
  3. I became accustomed to the Watchtower feature in 1P 4 - and see no comparable feature in 1P 6 - how does it work in the newer version?
  4. Multiple url's in 1P 4 - a valuable and much-used feature. In 1P 6? Seems to be ... gone ???

Thank you for your help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

errr ... was it something I said?

• Hi @southernforge! Looks like you've got a few threads floating around here. Let's keep the discussion about your fourth question in that thread so things are organized. One of our developers already responded to you there. :)

Is 1P 4 capable of supporting a Families account, or is 1P 6 required for using Families (i.e., Personal/Shared vaults)?

1Password 6 for Windows and Mac is required to use a family account.

After I installed 1P 6 and installed the browser extension for Chrome, the helper that showed up was still the 1P 4 browser extension; can versions 4 and 6 coexist on a Windows PC, and if so, how do I control which browser helper is active?

We recommend uninstalling 1Password 4 after you've migrated your data from it. Your data is stored outside the app so you're welcome to uninstall it, or simply stop the process from running. You can also use both apps if you need to.

I became accustomed to the Watchtower feature in 1P 4 - and see no comparable feature in 1P 6 - how does it work in the newer version?

This will be coming to 1Password 6 in the future. Keep an eye out.

Hope that helps!

• southernforge
    southernforge
    Community Member

Hi @southernforge! Looks like you've got a few threads floating around here. Let's keep the discussion about your fourth question in that thread so things are organized. One of our developers already responded to you there. :)

Yeah, sorry about that - I only caught my mistake after it seemed to late to delete the first post.

1Password 6 for Windows and Mac is required to use a family account.

Thank you - it seemed the Mac version looks like a nicer version of version 4 for Windows - so assumed, incorrectly, that 1P 4 for Windows could be used with Families. A flawed conclusion, as it turns out.

We recommend uninstalling 1Password 4 after you've migrated your data from it...

Done :+1:

This will be coming to 1Password 6 in the future. Keep an eye out.

Sweet - thanks!

Yes, it surely did help - thank you @jacob!

• @southernforge Glad to hear everything is sorted out. :) We're here if you need anything else.

This discussion has been closed.