1P6 "1password for windows desktop has stopped working" error

Options
BAMvsGAME
BAMvsGAME
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I've tried uninstalling then re-installing, along with different folder locations. I also tried editing permissions and allowing all. Also tried running as administrator. None of these seem to work. I could get it running on my laptop but my desktop seems to have problems with it :(.

here's a photo of the error
http://imgur.com/NuxhChe

Any other info I can provide?

1Password Version: 6.1.286
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BAMvsGAME: I'm sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me when you see this error? Also, it looks like you're using Dropbox, but also 1Password 6. Local vaults like those in Dropbox are not supported in the new app yet, so it may be best to use 1Password 4, since it fully supports local vaults. But we definitely want to figure out what's causing the app to crash on your system. Thanks in advance!

• Hi @BAMvsGAME,

Thanks for writing in, please send us the crash report details from the Event Viewer.

1. Click on the start button to search for Event Viewer, open it.
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Applications and Services Logs, 1Password should show up below here
    3. Right click on 1Password to select Save all events as and save it as 'logs.txt', set Save as Type to Text (tab delimited) (*.txt)
    4. Email that file to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com and in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent the email, so we can confirm we got it.

• BAMvsGAME
    BAMvsGAME
    Community Member
    Options

alright, will do @MikeT. .

• Thanks! Be sure to let us know when you sent it here, so we can look for it. I've checked now and nothing yet from you.

• MrLukasBrown
    MrLukasBrown
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue since yesterday. Is there a fix available yet? I am using windows 10 and on my MacBook everthing works just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2016
    Options

@MrLukasBrown: We've released updates since then, but if it's crashing on your machine you may not be able to access the updater. Please install a fresh copy of the latest version from our website:

1Password downloads

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also getting this issue. This occurs even after uninstalling and removing the 1Password folder from %appdata% (local) and then reinstalling.

Faulting application name: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe, version: 6.1.296.0, time stamp: 0x581b3e60 Faulting module name: d3d9.dll, version: 10.0.14965.1001, time stamp: 0x581d54f2 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x000000000000d468 Faulting process id: 0x27fc Faulting application start time: 0x01d240e642d45289 Faulting application path: C:\Users\Harrison\AppData\Local\1Password\app\6\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll Report Id: f5eda5ec-8adb-4093-9841-9fd33cf04689 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 00007FF88DC4D468

• Hi @nesl247,

That's strange, it is saying the crash is being caused by the d3d9.dll file, which is a DirectX library file.

Can you tell me what version of Windows you're using and if you recently did any Windows and/or graphic drivers update?

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member
    Options

No recent update, and I'm the insider preview 14965. Everything has been working fine up until just this morning when I tried. It was working fine yesterday. I'm still investigating the nvidia drivers though because I did recognize it was a DirectX file.

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member
    Options

Just updated my nvidia drivers to the new release, no change. I did restart previous to see if that would fix the issue, it didn't, also restarted after updating the drivers.

• Hi @nesl247,

Could you email us your complete 1Password logs, it might contain something else:

1. Click on the start button to search for Event Viewer, open it.
    2. On the left sidebar, expand Applications and Services Logs, 1Password should show up below here
    3. Right click on 1Password to select Save all events as and save it as 'logs.txt', set Save as Type to Text (tab delimited) (*.txt)
    4. Email that file to us at support+windowsbeta@agilebits.com and in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent the email, so we can confirm we got it.

Thanks!

• nesl247
    nesl247
    Community Member
    Options

Email sent.

• Thanks, we got it and will reply as soon as we have something.

ref: HBR-26677-639

• Just an update for anyone else that might saw the same issue that nesl247 saw, it was caused by the Riva Tuner program.

• timmc
    timmc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I have this error myself but do not have "Riva Tuner", never heard of it. Guess i'll have to reinstall the 1P6 app again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@timmc: Riva Tuner appears to be a graphics tweaking and hardware monitoring utility. Do you have something similar running? Definitely try reinstalling 1Password and let us know if that helps!

• timmc
    timmc
    Community Member
    Options

I've reinstalled and still experience the same problem. Now I don't even get to the sign in, 1P6 bombs before we get there. I do have some kind of graphics accelerator that i've now killed but it's made no difference. I don't have time to look at this now. Thanks.

• Hi @timmc,

Just to be sure, you're seeing a crash from the d3d9.dll file on the latest crash report or you're only seeing the general 1Password has stopped working message?

Try installing the latest .NET 4.6.2 update if you're not using Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

• timmc
    timmc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I get the general windows crash popup yes. I have two user accounts on the laptop for myself, and one launches your app the other user account doesn't. This was fine until yesterday no W10 updates were installed this weekend. Microsoft download site says .net 462 is for 8.1 and Server '08 and '12. No mention of W10. Like i say 1P6 runs fine on my .net 4.6.0 on the other user acct so i dont think that is the issue. Ive disabled Windows Defender as it always attempts to block 1P6 but that made no difference either.

Have you any other suggestions please? I suspect it must be a local W10 user/account setting. Thanks, Tim

• timmc
    timmc
    Community Member
    Options

Resolved! I uninstalled 1P6 from the W10 user account with the 1P6 crash and just execute the shortcut to the exe located on the other W10 user account and 1P6 launches fine that way. So User B has access to User A's installation directory. I've always used that so I'm unsure why it ceased to work yesterday. ReInstalling on User B local drive didn't resolve the issue but uninstalling did. Also shows we're fine running .net 4.6.0 (i think) for W10. Cheers, Tim

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@timmc: 1Password 6 requires a minimum of .Net 4.6.1...but no one will fault you for having the same difficulties navigating Windows and the Microsoft site. I noticed the OS requirements you mentioned earlier myself. Please install the latest version of .Net, 4.6.2, just to be on the safe side. If some components are reporting that you have 4.6.0, there may be some inconsistency there. You can get it from Microsoft's developer blog:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2016/08/02/announcing-net-framework-4-6-2/

I'm not sure that it's necessary or wise to be using the same 1Password installation across futile user accounts. Be sure you're not using it on both concurrently. If the database is locked it could result in further issues when accessed.

Anyway, you should be all set then, but don't hesitate to reach out if you run into any further issues — no matter how strange. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.