Challenge in setting up a new Mac

Options
Pelao
Pelao
Community Member

Hi
I must be having a dumb day...
I have been using 1Password for years. I have a new Mac and want to set up the app. I chose to do so by scanning from my iPhone, which is running the latest version of 1Password. But - when I follow the instructions I simply can't find the Account details or QR code on my phone. Under accounts there is a graphic, then a section about Add an Account and that is it...

What am I missing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Pelao ,

If you've been using it for years, you likely do not have an Account. Accounts are from the new subscription service that we have been offering for approximately a year.

When you start 1Password, click "Find My Data Elsewhere" and then choose the option you use for syncing your data. e.g. Dropbox or iCloud. It will then ask for your Master Password and it should download all of your data.

If you have any questions about this, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Pelao
    Pelao
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks so much - that was very simple. All is fine now.

Much appreciated.

Stephen

• dhjaffe
    dhjaffe
    Community Member
    Options

I need to do a clean install of the MacOS Sierra on my new MacBook Pro & erase everything on the hard drive. My 1Password 6.5.2 data usually syncs automatically via Dropbox between my computer, my iPhone & my iPad. Do I need to do anything special or will the 1Password data automatically get back to my computer from my other devices after I reinstall the app on the computer?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dhjaffe,

If you sync all your 1Password data via Dropbox, you just need to reinstall Dropbox on your Mac and allow it to finish syncing the files from your Dropbox account. Then, download/install 1Password 6, and when you open it for the first time, choose "Find your data" and you'll be able to choose to sync your data from Dropbox.

Of course, since you're erasing everything on your hard drive, I'm assuming you also have a full backup of your Mac. That backup should also include your 1Password data, which is good - you can never have too many backups! ;) But even without a backup of your Mac, it sounds like you have all your latest 1Password data on your iPhone, your iPad, and in your Dropbox account. If so, you're in good shape!

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that or need any help getting things set up again. Cheers! :)

• dhjaffe
    dhjaffe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.